Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What recipes would you like to try?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What recipes would you like to try? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
This is what I'd like to try.

Caribbean Salad:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/caribbean-chicken-salad/

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
There are so many -- and often, in the afternoon, I'll try to find a recipe that matches what I have thawed (i.e. chicken breast, pork chop, etc.) and go from there looking in cookbooks or online. Ohtertimes I'll get a new cookbook and try several recipes from it, buying what I need to make the dish.

Many times it is the ONLY time I'll make that dish -- not because it isn't good but just that there are so many recieps out there!

Martha

Posts: 5409 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Martha - I'm kinda like you. I don't make too many recipes very many times over. I love to try new ones. I'm lucky to have a DH that doesn't mind me trying newbies all the time.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. It looks like a nice and flavorful recipe for summer time. I might change out the tortilla chips for the oriental noodles though.

DH like his food very plain so no cooking adventures here.

Thanks!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to make paella. It always looks interesting but maybe I will order it when I'm out at a couple of different places to see what ingredients that I like. I know that there are different types.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to make Beef Wellington but filet mignon is a pretty expensive cut of beef to "experiment" with including the "trials and errors" before you get a new recipe right! Razz

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
16 paws: I think the same way about paella. I don't know where it would be on a menu around here, though.

IR, I hear ya about trying Beef Wellington and "experimenting." I have all I can do to make new pork chop recipes wo them turning out dry...even when I cook to 145 using a thermometer.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
IR -- somewhere I've seen recipes for "pork" wellington -- not the same as beef but would let you get the procedure down, perhaps, so that when you did spring for the filet you'd feel more comfortable! Google!

I've never made it either although I would like to -- not sure why -- just haven't.

I have made paella -- and also have made boullibase (a chicken version).

Martha

Posts: 5409 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I have a new paella pan DS2 gave us for Christmas that I want him to show me how to do. He studied in Valencia while in college so learned the tricks.

I'd also like to try croquembouche or croque-en-bouche a traditional French dessert. The name comes from the French words croque en bouche, meaning 'crunch in the mouth'.

Beef Wellington is lovely, not to worry, with puff pastry sheets we can purchase, this makes it super simple.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- I've done the croquembouche and have even taught a class to make it. It's a great sweet treat!

Martha

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
I have a new paella pan DS2 gave us for Christmas that I want him to show me how to do. He studied in Valencia while in college so learned the tricks.

I'd also like to try croquembouche or croque-en-bouche a traditional French dessert. The name comes from the French words croque en bouche, meaning 'crunch in the mouth'.

Lurah, my Dad is French and my grandmother made the most delightful Croquembouche ever, crunchy on the outside and oh so delicate on the inside, and a beautiful presentation that's for sure! My husband is Spanish and makes a wonderful Paella, includes chicken, pork, shrimp, scallops, clams and lobster. We make it for special occasions, it's a fun dish because everyone can help taking turns to stir the paella when needed, we do it in a 36 inch diameter pan, it's big!!, it's lovely to make as a family affair!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still want to try the French Macarons. Linderhof posted a recipe I want to try, for some reason I'm having a mental block filled with failure about trying them. I'm not a baker, I question if I should give it a try and compromise all those ingredients on failure... meanwhile they're going stale in my pantry.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
sr -- they really are easy and not at all intimidating although they were for me, too, until I made them! And they are soooo good!

Martha

posted Hide Post
SR, your paella dinner sounds amazing. Any recipes for someone who has never made it?

My DM used to make Beef Wellington for special occasions. It was good.

I love French Macarons but they have to be fresh--just had some last Sunday at brunch that the pastry chef had made. They are simply bite sized pieces of heaven!

I'd really like to go to a class taught by someone who really knows how to make bread. Just missed a class last fall by one of my favorite cookbook authors and hope he comes to my area again so that I can really see what he does and spend the day actually getting my hands in the dough!

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I would love to take lessons for making Chinese dim sum, especially tips and techniques for beautiful presentation and garnishes.

First, though, I'd have to buy the proper steamers and a zillion of the small plates and bowls to serve them for a dim sum tasting party. What fun.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16paws:
SR, your paella dinner sounds amazing. Any recipes for someone who has never made it?

16paws, I'm very happy to share our recipe, it's for a large crowd, but you can reduce according to your needs. Please know, this is just a recipe and if you see something you might not like, or would add, by all means do so.

1 lb. pork cut to small cubes (I use tenderloin)
3 cups Uncle Ben's Rice... ONLY!
1.5 pounds of chicken, you can use chicken wings cut at the joint, or any other part of the chicken you prefer, darker meat is better!
3 dozen raw, cleaned and shelled shrimp
2 lbs. cleaned scallops
2 Spanish sausage, chorizo
2 dozen middle neck clams, cleaned
Mussels... We don't like them, but if you do add them!
1 large onion, chopped
7 garlic cloves, sliced
1 green pepper. chopped
1 pound tomatoes, chopped
12 oz. package frozen green peas
1 can sweet pimentos (to garnish)
1 can asparagus (to garnish)
Chicken Stock (or broth) 2 cups to each cup of rice, in this recipe it would be 6 cups, heated
3 Envelopes GOYA seasoning with achiote (found in the International Aisle)

BIG Paella pan, heat olive oil, saute onion, green pepper, chorizo (sausage), tomatoes, garlic. (If you can't find Spanish Sausage, I wouldn't substitute Italian, I'd rather leave it out, or perhaps a Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage, sliced) Add pork, chicken and 3 envelopes of Goya Seasoning with Achiote... Sprinkle the 3 cups of Uncle Bens Rice all over the pan and cover with the hot chicken broth, stir. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Simmer for 30 minutes, uncover paella, add the clams, shrimp, scallops, and mussels, if you're using them, and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, the clams have opened and the shrimp are opaque. When all is done, remove the pan from heat, garnish with a sprinkling of peas, create a circular design of alternating asparagus and red pimentos... think of a clock, put the asparagus at 1:00, 2:00. etc, and put the pimento at 1:30, 2:30, etc. in a circular motion all around the paella.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
SR, this is almost exactly our family recipe for paella. My dear aunt who lived in Miami made the best paella, ever. She didn't add pork, but did add everything else you list here. Sometimes she used saffron; but there was always achiote available.

TFS: what great memories this brings me.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:

TFS: what great memories this brings me.

You're welcome aychihuahua, it's a great recipe and brings people together!

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Just saw this one, which looks simple and fast.
Enchilada Bubble Bake
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef (or ground turkey)
2 cans (7.5 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated biscuits
1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained
1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso® enchilada sauce
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish or pan with cooking spray. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Drain, if necessary. Meanwhile, separate each can of dough into 10 biscuits. With pizza cutter, cut each biscuit into quarters. In large bowl, stir together beef, beans, enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Stir in biscuit pieces. Spread mixture evenly in baking dish.

Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Add a dollop of sour cream to the top of each serving, if desired.

Comment: needed some taco seasoning and jalapenos to spice it up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
When I want to try a new dish I turn to Cooks magazine. They have never steered me wrong. Really great recipes!

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just want to try/have simple recipes that taste delicious.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try a Stratta. a baked cheese/bread/eggs thing. it sounds wonderful, but I've never done it.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1510 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post