Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  How much do you spend?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you spend? Sign In/Join 
posted
On Biggest Loser it says to eat healthy spend 70 a week on 1 person. My neighbor says she spends 200 a week for 6/7. How much do you spend a week and for how many people?

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
There are so many exceptions to whatever someone says to spend, I find it all irrelevant.

Posts: 4447 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing is sure--it is difficult to shop for one person only. You either eat too much or throw good food away! That makes it more expensive too. When my daughter left home, I didn't find my grocery bill go down at all.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I agree with Indexlady.

Are we talking about bologna or prime rib?

Posts: 16913 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
In my mind I allocate $100 a week for two of us. I am cautious and always buy things on sale if possible or where they are less expensive.

I do not shop on a regular basis and also buy what I can at our surplus store (like watermelon right now, or many things except anything chilled or frozen) Whenever I am in that store I faithfully at least look at all that is offered.

Some food items we get at the Christmas tree shop. I always buy a small amount. If hamburger is 3.97 a lb, I will buy the smallest package. I do this with any meat product I buy.

Anything sold by weight I pick the smallest amount.

Posts: 12489 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree with Indexlady and Sherry.

Plus the cost of food is different in different areas of the country -- What $100 buys in New York, for example, might not even get you through the week in Texas!!!

Martha

Posts: 5777 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
And another thing when people calculate their food bills, many don't count what's already in the pantry. Some include things like laundry detergent and pet foods in their food bill.

Sierramistplz, how do YOU feel about it? Do you feel it's luxurious or frivolous? Too frugal for comfort?

Posts: 4447 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Martha, you're totally right about that! I have a friend in MPLS that gets organic foods and grass-fed hormone free beef for a fraction of what I have to pay for it.

And, that's another issue--some buy only organic everything, while others are comfortable buying conventional.

That is a budget consideration as well.

posted Hide Post
Indexlady, I buy what I can afford. I spend bout 400 a month give or take a few.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Way to many variables to pinpoint a certain amount.
What is cheap here in Ga. is high as a kite in Ca., and worse yet in Hawaii!
Bargains that can be found in large cities aren't available in rural areas...but we have better access to locally grown/fresh if you want to buy non-organic. There really isn't much organic or grass fed available in my area, and the prices are NOT reasonable!
That's a major reason I grow a lot of our veggies...and am planting fruit trees & bushes too!

ETA...it also depends on how you cook. I do batch cooking & freeze the excess for future meals...so I cut my costs some by doing that and sure save on electric for the stove...but it costs me some in electric for my 2 freezers. And then again, I'm not heating the kitchen either with cooking a big meal every day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I buy what I can afford

BINGO!

I think that's what all of us do. If we find we can't afford $X, then we all cut back in various ways that fit our situation.

There have been times in my life $70 has seemed decadently luxurious. Other times, it has seemed like a starvation mode budget.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have no clue. DH buys cereal, milk, bread and sometimes ground beef. I buy everything else. If I see a veggie I like and the price is okay I will buy to prepare one night during the week.

If I go to the grocery and pork loins are on sale I might buy 2, if chicken breasts are on sale I might stock up same with canned goods. So I have no idea how much I spend in a week. We eat well and very little goes to waste. I portion our meats so a package with 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts might cost $4 - $5 will last of for 2 meals. If I cook a boneless pork loin we will have a couple of meals and then I will seal and freeze the remainder.

We are very fortunate to not have to worry about food cost, but we also rarely eat beef, steaks are a special event in our house. I don't buy the latest greatest packaged food and don't even look for a box of cookies in my pantry unless it is Girl Scout Cookie time.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My grocery bill is excessive in my opinion. I spend over $500. per month for two of us. On top of that we eat out about 3 - 4 times a week each because of dinner meetings, club luncheons, socializing with friends, community events, etc. My husband eats lunch in corporate dining room 5 days a week.
All non food items are purchased elsewhere from a different line item in the budget.
I also donate lots of food items baked or cooked in my kitchen to fund raisers, events, taken to friends and entertaining, etc.
I do not purchase convenience foods as I love to cook from scratch.
I never look at the grocery ads, as I learned long ago I was buying stuff I didn't need or use. I don't use coupons for the same reason.
It is getting harder to purchase name brand labels over the store brands which I abhore.
We never go to WalMart unless it is in the middle of the night. My husband does not believe in paying a membership fee to shop any chain big box.

We have a strong philosophy about spending our money to benefit local businesses which includes farmers & gardeners. I utilize our public market which is expensive even with a share holder membership, drive to a locker two counties over to purchase meat for the freezer and in larger quantity. All our dairy products are from the nearby niche dairy farm. Bakery items were from a local bakery which closed. Until I find a replacement, I stocked up in the freezer.
We don't believe in organic growing or grass fed protein! YUK! I want my food without blemishes from worms, pests and being choked by weeds!

A few years ago I got into it with a state-wide chain grocery store manager about his idiot staff lying to me. I've had fun diminishing my purchases there!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It's hard to separate the food only items from everything else. I rarely just shop for food and always buy in large quantities. I can spend $300 in one shopping trip and only $100 the next. By the month I would guess on average 5-600 dollars on everything. We only eat out about once a week.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7369 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I think the only way you could figure what you spend per week would be to take a few months' worth of grocery receipts, deduct non-food items, total the rest, and divide the sum by the number of months you are counting.

Too much trouble for me. I buy what we eat. Try to buy local first, from Texas second, from the USA last. I have put down Chilean apples and gone to the next bin for grown in the USA apples even if I have to pay more per pound. I look for California avocados instead of buying from Mexico. Etc.

I detest throwing food out whether it is food I have prepared or gotten in a restaurant.

Lurah, I agree on grass-fed beef. YUK! A yearling straight out of the pasture and to the meat processing plant is fine...but an old cow that's been grass fed...no thank you!

Posts: 16913 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I know I spend too much.. because it FEELS like too much. but.. I buy at discount stores, I use coupons, I buy what's on sale.. and it still feels like "too much"

we spend probably $500 a month for 4 people and 4 cats.

I do our "big " shopping on pay days which is every 2 weeks but then no matter what I have to run back out in a few days for bread or milk or something.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor/friend about 40 years ago who had 6 children and her husband was a milkman (remember that job?) Anyway for some reason she was filling out something that required her to specify what she spend on groceries for her family of 8. The person reviewing the form (this would not have been for charity) argued with her that she could not have spent so little!

I used to love watching her clean up her kitchen after dinner. She washed everything down! Stove, refrigerator, etc. Clean, neat and frugal!

This is a funny story about her which has nothing to do with the price of groceries. She got mad at her DH one night (he was on the sofa) and so she climbed out a window and went away for a while. When she got back she saw he was still on the sofa, sound asleep! So her trying to worry him didn't work at all!

Posts: 12489 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I think it is hard to shop and cook healthy inexpensively. Sorry but really good, high fiber breads are $3 a loaf at a minimum, fresh green beans are anywhere from $1 - $2 a pound depending on where you buy. Most green leafy veggies are prepackaged or $3 - $4 a bunch. I lucked out and the Pig has ground beef (not the low fat stuff) for $2 a pound (I bought a package to use with leaner ground beef which is $3 -$4 a pound.) Whole chickens are $1 - $2 a pound. Beef for roasts will run that or more per pound and the better cuts are $5 or more a pound. Milk is $3.50 a gallon. Dry cereal is $3 or more a box unless you catch it on sale.

In our part of the world apples are hardly ever less than $1.50 a pound and right now oranges are almost $1 each. I buy the unbleached plain flour and it is $4.50 for a 5 lb bag.

Due to the wonky weather last year canned tomatoes are $1 a can. Some of the better buys are frozen veggies. I buy tons of frozen spinach, peas and mixed veggies to use in recipes. Vegetable oil - 32 ounces for a store brand is almost $3 and olive oil!!!!

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
This post had me paying attention to what I bought this week.

Meat alone cost $55 for 2 people for SUPPER ONLY.

It wasn't processed, prepacked, or precooked.

It wasn't organic, grass-fed, or anything else that health food experts espouse as healthier.

It was not on sale.

None was hamburger.

None was ribeye, or other pricey, steak.

Not going into the health benefits, or not, of that much meat for 2 people. It's simply how we eat--back to those choices that can make how much we spend irrelevant.

Let's see, by the $70/$140 standard, I have $15 for 1, or $85 for 2 people, to get fruits and veggies for 21/42 meals.

Plus 7/14 breakfasts and 7/14 lunches--because we don't just eat fruits and veggies for breakfasts and lunch. And we like to have either fruit or veggies with every meal.

I'm probably the top spender....... Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It cost to much to eat nowadays. You get nothing for your money. The prices keep going up, but our paychecks do not. Frown

Posts: 4687 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post