Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What foods can't you get past your head?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What foods can't you get past your head? Sign In/Join 
posted
I offered to take my mom some of the kielbasi and sauerkraut I was making, and she said she'd never had it, that she couldn't get it past her head.

I've never tried a lot of foods for that reason, how about you all?

I've never eaten olives, mushrooms, any game, lamb, for that reason. When I was young and gullible I tried tripe (like eating rubber bands). I have a fish/shellfish allergy, so I don't eat anything that grew up in the water.

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Liver and any other organ meat. I've tried liver and have never liked it. I will never try it again.

Chittlin's - which are intestines with the **** slung out of them, washed, and cooked someway somehow that still does not take away the fact that they are intestines with the **** slung out of them.

Raw oysters

Rare meat of any sort. If the juices run red, nope...no way...not gonna eat it. I will eat beef steak medium, but everything else (ground beef, roasts, pork, poultry, fish, etc.) has to be cooked done.

I like crawfish, but eat only the tails. I do not drink enough to get drunk and suck the other end.

Sardines - I've tried them....never will again.
Anchovies - way too salty.

Coffee - smells great perking - shame it doesn't taste as good.

Beer - it's not that there's a mental block, I just don't like it.

Bourbon, whiskey, scotch - mental block. First DHs drinks of choice - specifically whiskey. He died at the age of 50 - cirrhosis of the liver. If you want to nauseate me, just open a bottle of Jack Daniels around me. I can't handle the smell. One of DHs BFFs is a scotch drinker...it's hard being around him and he's a nice guy! One Thanksgiving stepD cooked Jack Daniels roasted root vegetables, Jack Daniels pecan pie, and Jack Daniels in something else. I ate turkey and green beans with goat cheese (her DM did not like goat cheese!!! LOL).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oysters, Scallops, or clams. They seem like slimy little blobs that grow in a shell. Just can't do it. Snails either. Same thing.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oysters, Scallops, or clams

I had scallops for Easter dinner! They are one of my favorite foods. So easy to cook, full of protein, no fat. I also like clams and oysters.

I don't like the taste of liver but do like liver pate. There are foods I dislike but not until I have tried them.

Olives and mushrooms seem such ordinary things that I wonder you could grow up, Holly without long ago "meeting" them.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oysters, cooked spinach, rare meat,squid or octopus, sardines and anchovies. I don't like broccoli except for the stems but I can eat a little of it.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Truly - not many foods that I've never tried at least once - including Sushi. Probably some of the organ / intestial / type foods I haven't tried - but did always like tripe the way my mother fixed it when I was a kid - but I've never cooked it myself. And I loved chicken feet (which were skinned and de-clawed and cooked with other chicken parts to make broth) - and pigs tails. I love all seafood - including squid/Calaari - and have eaten octopus - when cooked, cut-up, and made into a salad with vinegar and olive oil.
Lots of foods can be made more edible - even enticing - when cooked properly.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in a house where you couldn't just say I don't like something without first trying it. Never anything terribly "unusual".

Dad was a serious beef guy and steaks and most cuts of beef were medium ar most. Didn't care much for it THEN, but only way I want it NOW. He also like shrimp... something I've DEFINITELY grown to love in any form.

TWO things I've REALLY TRIED to "get past my head" but just CAN'T... liver and oysters.

DO enjoy a nice pate, but liver as main protein... not working. Admit, when my grandmother cooked it... smothered in onions and cooked in butter... looked and smelled fine to me. But that TEXTURE... not working for me.

Have tried oysters every-which-way but loose! Fried, oyster stew, even RAW. For this, it's a flavor thing that doesn't work for me.

Posts: 5661 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Won't even try brain, kidneys, lung, bear, insects, snake.

Have eaten but won't any longer eat, liver, shellfish, snails, calamari, sushi, tilapia, rare beef, pork (except bacon), horse meat.

Feet, tails, guts (chittlins, tripe, haggis) of anything - NO thanks!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
The very idea of raw fish of any kind, sushi, ceviche any of it just squicks me out. I've seen too many nature docs with the parasites shown .. nope not me.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Not a seafood person, though I LOVE calamari. Had food poisoning once too often, including a clam chowder. Can't do it anymore.

As for chitlins, I've never had it but... my sweet little mutt is a Chihuahua-Shetland mix. We lovingly refer to her as our "Chitland" or chitlin dog.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lady of Shallot, I didn't like the looks of olives, and they are easy to avoid. Mom wasn't much of a cook, and never made anything with mushrooms, so I really wasn't exposed to them. I only remember going out to dinner twice as a kid, the money wasn't there.

My mom made a dish my brother's and I referred to as "rubber steak"- I'll have to ask her what it actually was. And she'd make this frozen chop suey that looked like snot,and I wouldn't even try it. I ate a lot of peanut butter sandwiches!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only remember going out to dinner twice as a kid, the money wasn't there.

Neither did I. We were six children (also never ate at anyone else's house)

It's funny about the olives because they were DD's favorite food when she was a child. My now deceased brother in law used to laughingly remember the time she sat at the table with an olive on every finger! And I remember (think I've told this story before here) the time I took her to lunch in Rockefeller center when she was four and the waiter brought her a huge plate with nothing but olives on it!

A lot of foods people have mentioned here have never come across my path, horse, bear, snake etc. I would be unwilling to try them.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I ate venison a few times when much younger. Never cared for it and now won't eat it. I also have an aversion to the other forms of "road kill" that many who live off the land enjoy. Wink

I have tried almost all forms of seafood and enjoy all except sardines and smelt. I would not eat anchovies when much younger - only experience were the smelly things people added to pizza at a restaurant where I worked in college. I learned later that anchovies are quite good when minced and cooked slightly before adding other ingredients. Just don't get too heavy handed.

I avoided soy milk and the like for years. I still don't like it.

I have smelled chitlin's cooking - and that is a big no thank you!

I didn't care much for lamb and I do not like the concept of veal. I don't think I have any Irish in my family tree because I really really really dislike corned beef. I cannot stand the texture of the meat.

I did not care for olives (mostly exposed to green) growing up, but once I started using olive oil to cook many dishes and tried black and cured olives - I have changed my mind.

I can't think of any vegetables that are on my no way list except for green peppers. I've found the problem people tend to have with some veggies is their first exposure were to over cooked mush. My mother couldn't cook spinach if she had to, same with broccoli. She treated them like collards - something that need time to tenderize.

I'm sure there are things that I cannot bring myself to try - just blanking right now other than cheap hot dogs and sausages, ground chicken, ground turkey, etc.

There are some dishes - casseroles especially that are combinations of foods that gross me out. I know I've posted some recipes that others are going - Ewww, yuck. But when reading a recipe and the combination of ingredients don't work for me - Ewww, yuck. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ground turkey or chicken isn't something I care to try- the texture just looks wrong. And turkey hot dogs or bacon- I'll take the real thing or skip it!

Funny, mom used to make the awful chop suey but won't try real chinese food!

We won't even try Thai food, because DH was in the Navy during the SE Asia w a r, so he won't even hear of it. And my kids tell me there's a lot of fish sauce (icky sounding food), and I'm allergic to all fish and shellfish.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming
I didn't care much for lamb and I do not like the concept of veal. I don't think I have any Irish in my family tree because I really really really dislike corned beef. I cannot stand the texture of the meat

Corned beef is an American tradition. The Irish picked it up from other ethnic groups.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Junk Collector you are right about the Irish and corned beef. How'd we Americans come up with that?

I don't eat blood sausage, headcheese, etc. game or organ meats whole, but any liver pate is devine.

Not a fan of spongy seafood like oysters or calamari, mussels, squid, etc. Scallops, shrimp are some of my favorites.

Never tried sardines, but anchovies are wonderful flavor and texture enhancer in several dishes I do enjoy.

The only veggies I hate are stringy, cooked spinach unless I chop it up and mix it in a quiche, etc., absolutely no beets of any kind unless they are finely shredded on top of my salad at Lawry's, and grape leaves (any stuffing in them is fine.) I can do a few parsnips if mixed with other root veggies and roasted, but can't do a whole panful of parsnips like my Mom does.

Luckily, I love all dairy products and they don't give me any trouble. Large quantities of bleu cheese I'd forgo along with that stinky kind used for fish bait.

With that all said, I've never needed to do tofu or soy milk, those types of food replacements on purpose.

I never ate any green vegetables except lettuce until I was 28. I'm fond of them all now, but they have to be fresh product, no canned or frozen will suit me.

Never acquired a taste for green tea, beer and many harsh liquors. Now I'm allergic to beer and wine, so slowly trying my way through the hard liquor cabinet again.

Posts: 2844 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oh yep...no chicken or turkey lunch meats/weinies/sausage...no ground poultry of any sort.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah: ...absolutely no beets of any kind unless they are finely shredded on top of my salad at Lawry's,

My grandmother could pickle a beet like nobody's business! You did not get a beet unless you cleaned your plate! Seriously, it was that big of a treat! Oh yum.....

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread! I never had Chitlins or any other organ meat. Yuck! Just the thought of it makes me nauseous. Not too crazy about red meat, and yes, there cannot be any BLOOD ON THE PLATE. And don't pretend 'it's GRAVY'. It's disgusting blood and get it out of my face now! My DH made a rib roast last weekend for his mother & sister who visited. He likes it medium rare. I had to put my portion back in the microwave until any and all pink was gone. Don't like rare meat and blood on the plate.
I love seafood! Shrimp, mussels, calamari, scallops, King crab legs, lobster, etc. Yummy! (never had raw oyster or raw clam). Like sardines a lot. My mother loved anchovies! Not crazy about other fish - Salmon, etc. It's okay, nothing to write home about. (My MIL loves Salmon, yuck!) Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I've eaten or tried just about everything. DH and I used to belong to a eat club in New Orleans that a local food critic set up restaurants for people to try. He tried to find the unique and unusual.
There's one thing I've heard of that I can't get past my head...and I quote:

"Hákarl, Iceland's Viking dish of fermented shark, Made by burying basking shark meat underground for three months, then hanging it to dry for five."

Eating stinking rancid fish is not something I would ever try. Razz

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've never tried Chitlins nor do I think I ever would. A big plate of liver is a no go but my husband will order it in a restaurant. I used to like Escargot but for some reason last time I had it, at our favorite restaurant, I just couldn't stomach it. Tilapia will never cross my lips again after my son told us how it's farmed, raised, whatever the correct term, it's gross!! I grew up with 6 brothers so you learn to not be choosy, if it was put on the table you were expected to eat it, or go hungry! And going out to dinner when young, we went one time and it was only my father and 3 older brothers, and myself, couldn't afford to take everyone.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Not many; I've had squirrel, pheasant, cow brains, bear, ram, sashimi, venison....

Don't think I could eat escargot, choc covered ants, etc...

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I agree on avoiding farm-raised Tilapia. Actually, I avoid most farm-raised fish of any kind - inclugin shrimp. But sometimes, it's unavoidable.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Organ meats, game meats, odd animal parts, beer and most hard alcohol are items that I avoid because I don't like the concept, taste and/or smell. I'm not a fan of most cooked leafy greens either, but I like them raw.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post