Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Has anyone ever made Pizelles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever made Pizelles? Sign In/Join 
Picture of just josie
posted
If so, how long can they "keep" if kept in an airtight tin?

If made at thanksgiving, will they keep for 3 weeks for Holiday gift giving?

j

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've never made them, but I sure do like eating them! I'd think they would be okay but don't know that for certain.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
I make them all the time! To answer your question, It depends!!! When making them make sure it's a dry day. Humidity is not your friend. What I normally do is take about 10 cookies and wrap them in plastic wrap, and then in a container. This way they should be fine. They also freeze really well, so if you have any concerns you can always freeze them. I just dug a container of last years Xmas cookies from the bottom of the freezer and the pizzelles were perfect.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I make these but they don't last too long! As a kid, we always kept them in a coffee can, but again, these could be gone in a heartbeat Wink dry storage is key, and flavor is better with time.

Do you have a press? I bought the cuisinart last year and am happy with it. Was thinking of giving same to siblings for gifts.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I have my mom's Krumkake Iron and her recipe to make those Norw. cookies. They're a lot of work and the job is easier if you can make them with two people!

I looked online and saw that the pizelles could be made with that same iron. The recipe is very similar. The only difference is that the Norwegians roll theirs around a cone-shaped dowel while they're still hot.

Maybe I should check out the Cuisinart electric unit next time I'm at BB&B. I might make these cookies more often if I could make an easier job of it!

Posts: 6058 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can make two cookies at a time with the press, and I don't roll the pizelles over a cone though it is an option. The girls at work love these but don't understand why I can't crank em' out like two dozen choc chips!

I keep a clean unused toothbrush in the box to clean the press as some batters stick more than others.

And use the 20% coupon from BB&B if you buy it there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I make them around the holidays, but never that long in advance. Your goal is to keep them crispy. I found the following tip...

http://www.ehow.com/how_849736...lles-keep-crisp.html

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo that was my thought too. I use wax paper for anything I want to stay crispy. My mom always made sweet bread with a crunchy crisp topping made out of butter, sugar and flour for the holidays. The way she kept the topping crisp and the way I do to this day.... is to wrap the loaves in waxpaper and tape them shut after they are cooled down. It isn't something I would freeze because I think it would make the crumbs soggy instead of crisp. I think saran wrap or plastic wrap would make them soggy but since I've never done it I can't really say if it is wrong or right. I'm not willing to find out the hard way either since it is a lot of work to make both...the pizeles and the sweet bread. I also don't make either of them to far in advance for that reason.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I make them every Xmas and keep them in the big popcorn tins and they last for a long time. I have kept them for 2 mos in the tin and they have been crunchy with no problem. I always make a double batch and that's a lot of pizelles. I use an old cast iron pizelle iron that goes directly on the burner. I sorta stole this from my husbands grandmother once she stopped baking.

Posts: 297 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW. You really put love into the pizzelles! Working an electric iron for two cookies at a time is time consuming, but the old fashioned press? Color me impressed!

posted Hide Post
I always make pizelles during holiday season. Got my recipe from a friend in Italy. It is a bit different but pizelles are delicious.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
Allright, I went and got the tins.

I'm not sure now when I will make them....my daughter is a couple of years out of college and wants to give a tin of them to her co-workers. We thought this would be a great it for someone on a tight budget.

The biggest challenge is that I will see her over Thanksgiving and then the next time I will see her again is Christmas.....so I think we will make them and put them in the airtight tins, with wax paper between each Pizelle, and she can give them to the people she works with.

thanks!

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
You're going to be using a lot of waxed paper!

Posts: 297 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I finally ordered my Pizelle maker and have my recipe. I will remember the wax paper. I'm making half of them in anise flavor and the other half in almond flavor.

Thanks for your input, I'll let you all know how they turned out.

j

posted Hide Post
Everyone will love them and the waxed paper is well worth it after all that hard work. Smile

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I never used waxed paper. Just sprinkled well with powdered sugar and stacked in tin cans. And I started using vanilla instead of anise flavoring after Granny found anise oil and used that instead of extract and didn't adjust the amount. All we smelled for months was the anise smell and it and the taste was so over-powering it sort of turned a lot of us off the anise.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Do a web search and you will find many varieties from chocolate to gingerbread, pumpkin, etc, etc. I made chocolate macadamia once. I ground the nuts into a powder. As far as extracts go, experiment like mint with chocolate for the holidays. Try almond and others. Experiment with spices too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Wow Froo - I'll have to try that one! Do you think the parmesan will make the batter stick???

I made a chocolate recipe (from the manufacturer of my press) and urgh! Took forever to clean the pattern lines. Won't use that one again, but found one from Martha S. I'd like to try.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
JC, can't say if the cheese will make the batter stick or not. I imagine there are other savory pizzelles on the Web. Let us know if you try this one or others.

Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
My Pizelle maker arrived today.....going to make a trial batch this wknd...just to be on the safe side before Thanksgiving Smile