Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easter Food Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
No one has commented on what they may be preparing this Sunday -- either Easter dinner or perhaps breakfast or brunch.

What are YOU fixing for Easter?

Martha

Posts: 6387 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Just finished baking traditional Croatian Easter bread - 6 loaves - both ovens were full.

I will serve lamb for Easter dinner - ham for breakfast - ambrosia salad, Yukon Gold roasted potatoes, broccoli casserole and pineapple bundt cake for dessert. I hard-boil a dozen eggs and dye them - and I have sacks of candy to put out for everyone to make their own goody bags: jelly beans, foil-wrapped chocolate eggs, chocolate peanut butter bunnies, and foil-wrapped marshmallow eggs.

Seaborne

Posts: 1236 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
DS is cooking a turkey, instead of dressing I'm making a pineapple casserole and we'll have new potatoes and a couple of salads.

She is baking one of our favorite cakes our mother made - Coconut made from Williamsburg Yellow layer cake with 7 minute frosting and coconut. Yum!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3613 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm serving a Honeybaked ham, accordian potatoes, green bean casserole, snow salad with raspberries, French puffs and for the first time I'm making a Peep cake for the dessert(found the mold at JoAnns). Grands will search for hidden eggs filled with goodies. Oh, an appetizer for the adults only, pineapple chunks infused with coconut rum. May have to sample those in advance to make sure they are ok.

Posts: 3170 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Pizza? Smile
We will be cleaning out DM's garage that day, getting ready to put the property on the market.Wink

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Like Conrad we will be having a non-traditional Easter this year. DGD has elected not to invite her class mates to Easter dinner this year.

So instead of cooking we are taking her out to a lobster dinner at a famous place in our town. My reasoning is that since she is graduating in May and hopefully will find a job soon after that, she may not come here for any visits this summer.

Posts: 13138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
We will be going to a brunch at a nice place in the next town. I will toss a ham in the oven before we go and supply lots of different rolls and breads and cheeses for people who want to munch later.

We somehow have never really celebrated Easter.. My family did, but I never got in the habit,.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1584 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We had my family celebration last Sunday. Our kids are going to their "in-laws."
I have a very small Black Forest ham for our dinner with sweet potatoes, fresh asparagus and a Romaine & fresh berry salad with Feta, almonds and raspberry vinaigrette, hard rolls.
Haven't decided what to make yet for dessert.
Maybe I'll call the facility where my MIL lives and see if there's an opening in one of the family dining rooms, pack up the meal and try to celebrate with her and the SIL.

Posts: 2858 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Ham, baked beans, asparagus, coconut/banana cream pie, mac/cheese.

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Marinated shrimp, glazed ham, southern style potato salad, marinated asparagus, haricot vert with feta and toasted walnuts -- for 8. Everything's done, and my back is killing me.

I am not a complete glutton for punishment, so I moseyed over to the local supermarket bakery for cloverleaf rolls, hot cross buns and mini cupcakes with buttercream frosting.

Oh, and lots of wine. I think I am going to down a bottle RIGHT NOW. You can tell I don't entertain on this scale very often. Smile

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

Posts: 5379 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start off with shrimp cocktail. Honey/brown sugar glazed ham, potato salad, ribbon jello salad, condiments, fresh Polish kielbasa with beet horseradish that I doctor up like my mom did with canned beets, horseradish from a jar and vinegar and sugar, rye and Italian bread and butter, pineapple stuffing and chocolate pie for dessert.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AC Fan,

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Glazed Ham
Green Bean Casserole
Potato Salad
Brown Rice Casserole
Tossed Salad
Peach Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream
Angel Food Cake with Strawberries and Cool Whip
Mrs. Shubert's Rolls

ETA..and of course deviled eggs

Very small crowd this year .... mom, dad, me, DH,DD and fiancée .... Have a happy and blessed Easter everyone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2316 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Aychihuuahua - I sympathize with you totally. My sciatic nerve is inflamed and very painful - though, standing is not as bad as sitting - especially in the car. My shopping is finally all done - just brought home shrimp for a cocktail, rolls, and 2 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon - and I was thinking, at least I've got some good wine for us. Also, got some Polska Kielbasa for breakfast. Now, I'm about ready to make my pineapple poke bundt cake - a new recipe - and trying it out on family before I make it for another event next week.

Seaborne

Posts: 1236 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Easter seems to be a food day here -- although I'm not cooking dinner, we are having a "potluck" breakfast at church and I made my "egg cookies" and will make a breakfast casserole tomorrow -- zucchini, peppers, onions, broccoli, penne pasta, white cheddar, eggs and cream and basil, baked and then we're having brunch out with friends and coming back here for dessert and coffee -- a strawberries and cream cheesecake. The batter was amazing!

So I cooked a lot today for tomorrow although we're only eating dinner here (which will probably be egg salad sandwiches!)

Martha

Posts: 6387 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My egg cookies for church breakfast tomorrow.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Linderhof - I peeked at your blog of Easter photos. What are the black strings through the roasted asparagus? (I have a hard time figuring out what things are with bad depth perception, especially in photos.)

I also copied your Hot Cross Bun recipe from here. Thanks.

Posts: 2858 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Just resting a bit. The half half is done - I'm prepping the potatoes - broccoli is steaming - cheese sauce is made - Ambrosia salad was made last night - and my pineapple bundt cake is lovely - all my veggies are ready and I made a dip last night - just the table to do - but the tablecloth is ironed.
From the 70+ year-old lady from Seattle - it's cloudy - but no rain - sun has been out - close to 60 degrees - all is calm and peaceful - I didn't sleep much last night - it's going to be a long day - my son will be the first to arrive at 4:30.

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We had a very good Easter dinner I packed and took to MIL's residence family dining room.
The table looked pretty with pastel floral china and same color table runner & napkins.
Of course, MIL is always 'in a mood' so she spoils the table talk.

I had DH take MIL back to her room after we ate, SIL & I cleaned up, sat down and put our feet up to watch a baseball game. Hour and a half later we all reconvened for dessert and MIL, guess what was in a good mood this time.
Just some plain lemon pound cake with chocolate glaze perked her right up. I didn't know she was fond of lemon.

Maybe I finally got something right.

My SIL really liked the Sweet Potato Bake dish.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- those "strings" are just the asparagus and the photo -- a little more done than the other parts, I guess -- for there were no "strings" of anything on the asparagus! LOL!

Martha

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Our guests (neighbors, not family) had a grand time yesterday; they arrived at 11:30 am and hung out until 4 p.m. (Seaborne, I too have sciatica that flares up, especially when entertaining!)

Must admit the food came out great. Everyone ate a lot. I slept for 9 hours straight last night. Smile

Martha -- those Easter egg cookies are just adorable.

Posts: 5379 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Aychihuahua - I, too, slept long and well last night - but didn't get to bed until 3 AM - because I was too tired to get up out of the recliner and my last guest left at 2 AM - but today, I'm good. Daughter told me her physician suggests applying moist heat compresses interchanged with ice - I haven't tried that yet. I'm on Advil every 6 hours and it helps.

But I loved my Easter - and daughter also set the table and we dug up lilac egg cups to go with my Spring dishes - and the table was Eastery - and spring-like.

Seaborne

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I did nothing. We went out to eat after church...DH had fried fish while I had chicken fried steak. Smile

DS was at the house for an afternoon visit before he went to his Sunday school get together at the preacher's Sunday evening. He had raided the refrigerator for pinto beans and ham with cornbread and he said he thoroughly enjoyed it. Wink

Just dreaming about the spread my DM served in her cooking days. sigh Some time or another a niece or nephew will mention their granny's ham and mashed potatoes. Memories....

Posts: 17440 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Big family dinner here. I did two bone in hams, and a sister (I have five sisters) did two big funeral potatoes casseroles, another sister did a really good green bean and tomato and garlic dish, Another sister brought assorted pre meal munchies, another sister did a huge fruit salad, and we had a huge baked apple crisp with ice cream for dessert. Family young and old were there.

Posts: 7284 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
well, my ham didn't cook.. The oven wouldn't heat up. Had the repairman in today and my igniter was shot. He was here and gone in less than 20 minutes.. works fast and clean and is always great to chat with.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1584 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
funeral potatoes casseroles,

What are these, Cocok?

Martha those egg cookies are about the cutest things I've ever seen!

Posts: 13138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- I'm not sure about Cocok's put here on our part of the prairie, they're those cheesy hash brown casserole often made for funeral dinners and I think if you google, "funeral potatoes" that that recipe comes up so we're probably not the only community that calls them that. Not sure if all c h u r c h e s call them that but the P r e s b y t e r i a n ' s here do!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And, LOS, I much prefer the term "cheesy" potatoes to "funeral" potatoes!

LOL!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
And, LOS, I much prefer the term "cheesy" potatoes to "funeral" potatoes!

LOL!

Martha

How about "Heart Attack Potatoes?" Smile

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah, that too! LOL!

Martha

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
funeral potatoes casseroles,

What are these, Cocok?

Funeral potatoes are a casserole made of grated baked potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter, green onions and salt and pepper. Then the mixture is baked for about a half hour. Seriously delicious. Around my parts, they are called funeral potatoes, but I don't really know where the name came from.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested here is my funeral potatoes casserole recipe.

10 medium potatoes
1/2 cup melted butter
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
2 cups sour cream
salt and pepper

Bake the potatoes in jackets until slightly firm. Cool overnight. Peel and grate potatoes

Mix together the butter, cheese, onion, sour cream, and salt and pepper. Stir mixture into potatoes. Put mixture in a lightly greased 2 1/2 quart casserole and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cocok, I think it was because they were always served at funerals. The recipe here calls for frozen hash browns and I don't think they have the onions in it and it also calls for a can of soup -- mushroom probably, I can't remember. But there is sour cream, butter and cheese in it and then it's baked!

Martha