Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Where to purchase tea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to purchase tea Sign In/Join 
posted
Looking to branch out from my usual morning cup of Lipton tea. I don't like iced tea or fruity tea but I do like hot tea with a bit of sugar. I tried the breakfast collection found at the local grocery store, but would like to try something more. Where should I look to buy some? Also, I don't want to buy huge amounts of 1 kind...I may not like it. TIA

Posts: 564 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Doesn't your grocery store have a large selection? Most of the grocery stores here in Canada have many, many different brands and types of tea. Large cities also have stores that specialize in teas where one can buy small amounts of loose tea. Even in our little town there is a store that has specialty teas altho they are quite expensive. Try googling to find what's available in your local area.

Two of the brands I buy most often are Twinings and Stash and they both have online stores.

Twinings has a variety pack with 20 teabags that has 4 different teas which might be a way to try different types without buying a lot. http://www.twiningsusashop.com...pack-black-teas.html

Here's the link to Stash tea: http://www.stashtea.com/

Good luck with finding teas you like.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12742 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Although I prefer coffee, I'm a fan of Earl Grey tea, myself. The stronger the better, but I take it English style with a touch of milk and sugar. And I find that I really like the green teas served in most Chinese restaurants. Best thing to do is experiment and a variety pack as mentioned might be the easiest way. Good luck, and have fun.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6617 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lots of grocery stores have some great selections of teas -- I would start there. Also, check in your area to see if you have a store that sells teas and/or a tea room. Both retail outlets should have a good selection and most in fairly small quantity so you won't have to drink the same tea "forever"!

One particular favorite of ours is Harney's Hot Cinnamon -- it's not a "flavored" tea but rather tea with cloves and cinnamon in it and it is really a warming tea on a winter day. I've had some other varities of Harney's and wasn't all that impressed but I really like their Hot Cinnamon. It is sweet but naturally so and you dont' really need sugar with it.

I like Earl Grey as well and often drink that for my afternoon cuppa.

Martha

Posts: 5959 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Received a Christmas gift of Bentley's teas. I'm likin them. And I drink them like you...medium brew (2 minutes) with a teaspoon or so of sugar.

Try adding a couple of whole cloves + a small piece of cinnamon stick to your Lipton cup...or any other spice you might like, while it's brewing. I even save them when I scoop them out for another cup or so later.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Mountainbeach - I hear your dilemna on finding some different teas. Out here in the boonies, it's Lipton, Celestial Seasonings and maybe if you're lucky Bigelow. Nothing else.
Joyluck perhaps has much more to choose from but I caught that she lives in Canada, lucky her, I wish it was so plentiful here as well.
I watch for tea when I'm travelling. We do have a 3rd world shop that features gift items women have handcrafted for their livelihoods and they have some teas from those spots in the world.
I have Bentley and Republic of China, etc in my tea cabinet but bought those out of town no doubt.
Check online for others and order some to try.

Posts: 2760 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I must confess I can't drink hot tea. Perhaps I've never brewed it correctly, but I do like flavored teas, especially when brwewing for iced tea.

If you have a local coffee specialty store they frequently have a tea section. Down in Charleston they have a wonderful shop that specializes in tea. I love the aroma just walking in.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3540 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- a really great ice tea is 2 family size bags of Luizianne (or Lipton if you want) and 1 small individual bag of Harney's Hot Cinnamon -- a great ice tea -- that little bit of cinnamon really gives the tea a good flavor.

Martha

Posts: 5959 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the new reports of tea containing non-tea stuff like common lawn clippings?! And they did not report the brands!!!!

I drink probably two quarts of unsweet decaf tea daily (Luzianne or Tetleys). I have an occasional cup of hot tea - Bigelow green or Earl Grey usually. That's a lot of tea to be buying specialty tea but I'm really considering it. GRASS CLIPPINGS?! And what chemicals were put on that grass?!!!

A friend recommended tea from a specific online site...it's one of these two:
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas
http://www.specialtea.com/

I truly think from the webpage layout that it's Teavana.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17108 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother likes tea so I have been sending her selections from www.culinaryteas.com for the past few years. Sign up for weekly Emails and they will tell you about featured teas and coupon codes for savings. Mother generally like a nice black tea, but she also likes decaffeinated versions because she often has a cup in the middle of the night. One tea that she has liked from culinaryteas is called Monk's Blend. It has a bit of orange flavor, but isn't overly sweet or fruity.

Posts: 1915 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
We have a lovely store in a nearby mall: Teavana. It's a bit pricey, but they have a website: www.teavana.com

Posts: 5995 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I've been looking over the Teavana site and will eventually get to the other ones mentioned. Teavana has a few I'd love to try!!! I don't know where my brain is sometimes...why don't I just flavor my Lipton??? So, I just brewed a bag, added a cinnamon stick, 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract and a spoon of Stevia. It is just so good!!! Tastes like I should feel guilty drinking it since I'm trying to lose weight, lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

Posts: 564 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Does your market carry Stash? I love the Earl Grey. Very sweet even without sugar. No bitterness and just lovely.

Posts: 3281 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Scroll down to the link with Sales Tactics for a good read on tea purchases.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...on0121434632406.html

I will say that I had a similar experience with a high pressure sale in their store and walked right out.

But look at this cute idea to make for your tea!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9447 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That culinary tea link above - very good prices. I will be trying some of their teas.

Posts: 17108 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
A few more links for teas. I haven't purchased from these sites but they look interesting.

http://www.yogiproducts.com/pr...category/herbal-tea/

Another Tea Site

http://www.mightyleaf.com/?cm_...Jgq4CFUHktgodey682g#

Last one for you!

http://www.theteatable.com/category/Whats_New.html

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9447 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
They just had a write up in our paper about www.adagio.com tea. Has anyone tried these?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worth Reading

Posts: 789 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
This thread is more than a year old now.
I have been enjoying Yorkshire tea my niece sent me a few months ago from Great Britain. I really like a good plain tea and this fits the bill.
Plus the label indicates "appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales," whatever that means.
Canadians and Brits drink way more tea than we do here in the States.

Posts: 2760 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I like a tea called PG Tips Tea. I bought the first box from a website called Brittish Delights when Dad heard it would help to color bowls that he turned. That didn't work well so into the cup it went. Since then I have seen it on some local grocery shelves. It doesn't seem to have the after taste some have.

piney

Posts: 3203 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Piney -- PG Tips is the "Lipton" of Britain. When we lived there that Spring, it had by far the biggest shelf space of any tea.

It is a good tea and since coming home, that is all I drink hot. I get it either at a military commissary, World Market or order from Amazon.

It just makes a nice pot of tea!

Martha

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
My DD works in "Teavana" on the weekends. They sell very high class expensive teas. They have had some on sale during special holidays. She loves the teas and has bought many, many different 'loose teas' that she keeps in air-tight canisters. I have tasted a few of the teas she makes at home and I don't really like them. I find them too weak, they taste like 'flavored water' to me. But I am a coffee drinker and only drink tea if I am sick. I like English or Irish Breakfast Tea I buy in the supermarket. They are stronger than the teas my DD buys from Teavana. But then again, my DD hates coffee! I would suggest you try Teavana teas. They sell 2 oz. so you don't have to buy a lot of something you may or may not like. My DD loves their teas. I tell her she is 'their best customer'.... Wink

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
I find them too weak, they taste like 'flavored water' to me.

Ask her to use more tea leaves in your cup!

I have used regular orange/black pekoe tea and tossed in a couple of bags of peach "tea" to the pot. That makes a refreshing delicious REAL peach tea for a hot summer afternoon.

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Martha, I was looking in my store and they no longer carry the PG Tips. Frown I'll keep my eyes out at other stores or order on-line. I have a good stock right now. I am mostly a coffee drinker but tea goes really well with ginger snap cookies.

piney

Posts: 3203 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I was a coffee drinker -- but after living that spring in England, I've taken to drinking tea in the morning (and afternoon) saving coffee for after dinner (and decaf only please!)

And after living in England, the only morning tea I will drink is PG Tips -- afternoon, I sometimes drink PG Tips but also enjoy Earl Grey and in the winter especially with ginger cookies, Harney's Hot Cinnamon!

Martha

posted Hide Post
I like to buy from davidstea.com. It is a Canadian company and they send you samples along with your order. I used to buy from culinaryteas.com, but when I bought a product that was substandard, their handling of my complaint was to basically say...oh, well. They lost me as a customer right then.

Posts: 1915 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post