nrsedebbiepink1's story (and some of the subsequent posts) made me think that a thread about our "funny Food stories" when we were young and inexperienced cooks would be fun to share.
It was the Christmas that I was pregnant with my DD -- I decided to do something "different" and decided on duck l'orange. I had never cooked duck before and maybe eaten it once -- WHY I decided to do that, I'll never know.
With recipe in hand, I made a "gourmet" meal -- but one thing I didn't change was dessert -- I made our normal pecan pie.
I can't remember what the rest of the menu was, but we sat down full of anticipation and took our first bite of duck. It was awful! Even today I'm not sure what I did wrong but I surely did something!
We ended up not eating anything -- the sides dishes were as bad as the duck so we left the table, went to the living room with pie and coffee. At least we had pie!
Then we heard a commotion in the dining room and went to see what was going on. The cat had hopped up on the table and was after the duck . . . the dog on the floor thought it was NO FAIR for the cat to be on the table with all that food and she, the dog, had NOTHING!
But the cat couldn't get her small mouth around the duck and so she kept nudging it and nudging it . . . and finally it went over the edge of the table -- right into the mouth of the dog on the floor!
She (the dog) thought it was manna from heaven. The dog took her treasure into another room so that she could eat in peace.
Were we mad? Nope -- the dog had the duck, we didn't have to see it again.
I did make duck again but it was many many years. And I had enough culinary experience at that time that it was delicious.
View my blog:
I had a horrible time learning to make plain old white gravy. It's a staple here in Texas and the rest of the south. I had watched my mother the whole time growing up and thought I knew what I was doing. HA!
The first bowl I set in front of 1st DH - well the spoon stood straight up in it. He said, "I can't eat this." I jerked it off the table and took it outside to unmold in the dog's dish. Bo, my German Shepherd came running over and sniffed. Then he took his nose and started snuffling dirt over it. I guess he figured to bury it and let it get ripe. Didn't do much for my feelings at the time.
Does this hat make my butt look big?
I was on the PTA teacher appreciation lunch committee when my son was in middle school. The plan was for people to make salads and we would treat the teachers to a salad lunch in the teachers lounge. There were three lunch shifts so we divided up the salads so each group would have a variety. There was one large jello salad in the fridge that looked very unappetizing and sort of a gray/purple color, it was last to be chosen. But not knowing if the person that made it was in the room with us, or what, we decided we had to serve it.
A male teacher kind of made a face and a comment, and was told by the teacher sitting next to him to basically "eat and be quiet, these ladies have gone to a lot of trouble for us". He obliged, and was chewing, and chewing, and chewing......then he puled a rubber band out of his mouth! Someone else had a little ball....then a paper clip! It turns out this was a students solar system project and we fed it to the teachers!
Oh, Annon!!!! How FUNNY!!!!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Oh, Annon, I'm sure you're the winner, but here's my entry (entree?):
The first time I tried to make dumplings, I didn't have a good pot with a tight lid and it turned out to be a huge glob of watery dough that covered the surface area of the pot. It was back in the 70's when Alka Selzer did those "speecy spicy meatball" commercials. One of them was the ten-pound dumpling which was what mine looked like. The problem was how to dispose of the darn thing. We didn't have a disposal. My DH wanted to flush it, but I was afraid it might ruin the plumbing, so we ended up throwing it out in the backyard. I swore to him that if he ever told a soul I'd divorce him so fast his head wouldn't have time to spin. A week later, I was telling the story myself.
Funny stories everybody... Kinda good to know I'm not the only one who had had kitchen goofs!
Guess my worst goof was cooking beans in an unseasoned cast iron pot, didn't have enough liquid and it all burned. I just threw the whole burned, stinky mess away. The pan had just been $1 (this was 1964)....LOL! Guess we ate sammies for supper; don't remember!!!
I had never learned to cook before we got married altho could make sandwiches and very easy things and DH knew how to cook so it wasn't a problem. After nearly a year of marriage I started feeling guilty so decided to make an apple pie which was DH's fav dessert. Didn't have Crisco or lard in the house so used margarine. I figured one fat was the same as the next! LOL That was one inedible pie crust. Finally realized I had to follow the recipes more carefully and did eventually learn to cook.
"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow
Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/
annon, that story is a hoot and a half!!!
It sure tops "The dog ate my homework."
These stories are great!
When I was a new cook, DH & I decided we wanted fried liver & onions. I had never seen my DM prepare it - only after the breading/frying stage. So I called her on the phone & she said to put the little plastic cottage cheese-type container of liver under the faucet & rinse it before breading. I was afraid to touch it & when I turned on the water, it slithered out of the container & right down the drain into the garbage disposal. The I was REALLY afraid to go after it - after it ran away!
We ate something else & DH has never asked for liver again in 35 years!
Annon ~ ROTFLMAO!!! That's so Funny!!!!!
These stories are very funny!!!This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,
SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!
I am enjoying the stories! It took me some time to live it down, but to be serious, we had no idea what was actually in that jello and if it was edible. The student had to be told and was MAD!
Edited to add I was not asked to chair anything for a while!
.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annon,
Annon -- I am a former Ohio teacher and attended many wonderful appreciation luncheons -- and I ate last lunch -- you now have me wondering if I have eaten any science experiments! ;-)
My Life, you are safe, we lived in Texas at the time!
However, if your or your DH work at WPAFB, I did have a little dinner mishap a few years ago!
One of my many goofs.....I was 19 years old, got hungry for a midnight snack and all I had in the fridge was eggs and bread.
I put a small pot on with two eggs and water and turned on the gas stove.
Then fell asleep.....
I woke up when the eggs exploded!
Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford
LOL As a teenager, I boiled eggs dry but caught them before they exploded.
Does this hat make my butt look big?
Funny, funny stories. I love reading them. My only mishap was when I was a young person. We had a new puppy and warmed milk every morning in a metal measuring cup to mix in with the puppy's food. I was getting ready for school at the same time and forgot about the milk until I smelled the noxious fumes. I had to open all the windows and try to get the smell out before my parents woke up. I'm sure I had to 'fess up because the metal cup was ruined, but I don't remember the aftermath. I guess I've blocked it out...lol.
|Powered by Social Strata|