Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  guesting rather than hosting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

guesting rather than hosting Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
A week or so ago DH & I spent five days in my natal city visiting family members that still live there and also some who live elsewhere but were also visiting.

We stayed with a third sister and basically things went well (DH did a few odd jobs and totally took care of himself, we ate out etc)
But one funny thing happened. This DS has a small dog and we offered to walk her. Of course the area has a pooper scooper law and DS handed first DH (who didn't say anything) and then me (who did say something) a sandwich bag! I wanted a bigger bag like a grocery store plastic bag but my DS refused to give me one, saying how many she would have to use in a week if she used them! In a couple of days she did relent, but I thought this was very funny!

I am one of five sisters. . . the baby is 69 and the eldest is 85. When it is just the five of us we have a ball and laugh ourselves silly. Others in the mix, things don't go so well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12644 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oh yes! Give me at least a gallon bag! yuck And if it's a grocery bag, make sure the bottom is still intact with no holes!!!

Posts: 17074 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I make DH give me SEVERAL baggies because the smell seems to leach (sp?) through the first one. I load them all on my hand like a glove.

TMI.

Ha!

Posts: 4484 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When cousin's kids were in diapers, she & my Aunt saved those long "sleeve" bags that newspaper's often come in when they land in your driveway. She realized those diaper-gizmos were kinda silly... even a days worth of diapers doesn't get a chance to get stinky if tied up tight. She'd tie a knot, pull bag back over "present" and tie again... sometime 3 knots.

After kidsw were outta diapers, still saved the bags to pick up after dog while walking. She did some kinda tie to have them 2-ply before she even had to use them.

When I had dogs, they were always BIG ones. They did what they had to do in fenced-in back yard... time on the leash was an opportunity to "visit" with as many people and other (friendly) dogs. Can only remember 1-2 times MAX, where they left a "gift" along the way... #1 doesn't count in my book. Alsolutely cannot imagine picking up the things they would have left behind... sometime the size of a small dog!?!

I keep plastic bags from groceries for cleaning out litter box. ALWAYS look to see if totally intact... leaving a trail of litter... NOT a good thing. Even with scooping at least daily, I slowly accumulate a LOT of them. Have one bag with several dozen, neatly folded bags tucked inside. Another bag BULGING with wadded up bags. One day, when I think to, will take the unfolded bags to supermarket with me... into their recycle bin at entrance.

Posts: 5637 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DH and I were talking about the diaper thing yesterday on the way to our town transfer station.

Our DD was born before the advent of paper/plastic diapers and I washed her cotton ones.

The dog and diaper thing is kinda the same. . . gases building up over time in tightly wrapped plastic to maybe an explosive extent.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Lady, It is exhausting visiting family. I would visit with my sister and her husband a couple of times a year, thank goodness they moved back to the beach, and I would be worn out by the time I got back home. All the family drama is more than I can stand for extended periods of time.

As for the dog - as was mentioned - newpaper bags are the perfect size for small ones. Wink

quote:

When I had dogs, they were always BIG ones. They did what they had to do in fenced-in back yard... time on the leash was an opportunity to "visit" with as many people and other (friendly) dogs. Can only remember 1-2 times MAX, where they left a "gift" along the way... #1 doesn't count in my book. Alsolutely cannot imagine picking up the things they would have left behind... sometime the size of a small dog!?!

I don't know how long ago that was but today you have to get used to walking the 4 legged babies with some bags in your pockets. Our greys are on thee large side and we always take bags for cleaning up. Since Freckles broke his leg we have gone through many many plastic grocery bags cleaning up the porch. Thank goodness for the training pads!

quote:
Have one bag with several dozen, neatly folded bags tucked inside. Another bag BULGING with wadded up bags. One day, when I think to, will take the unfolded bags to supermarket with me... into their recycle bin at entrance.

Yep we have a HUGE bulging bag of them also. With Freckles injury we have gone through quite a few of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3519 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
When we walk our granddog when asked to pet sit, we always grab a DOUBLE grocery bag just for added protection. She's a medium sized mixed breed, but one can't be too careful. Next time bring a supply w/ you when you visit. We always ask the cashier for double plastic guarding against ripped bags and cans and bottles pouring out. We save them and recycle them as our standard trash bags.

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
90%of time our golden does her business in our yard and we always clean up right up after her. There are always 1-2 plastic grocery bags tied to the handle of our leashes I case she can't make it home. I had a neighbor way down the street who's dog always went in our yard. After a year of not cleaning it up, I made picked up her dogs deposits, bagged them and left bag in her yard. Doesn't happen anymore!,

Posts: 3127 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next time bring a supply w/ you when you visit.

Sadly as this is my youngest sister, I don't think there will be a next time. I am the second one of 5 sisters and a schism between the next two younger, makes a sister visit very unlikely to occur again. It has been brewing for 16 years and is not getting resolved or lessening. In fact it is increasing.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mamaspoon:
I picked up her dogs deposits, bagged them and left bag in her yard. Doesn't happen anymore!,

I love this solution!!!!! Smile

Posts: 2751 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
LOS, don't think as this is your very last visit even w/ rift between family members is current. Tho I can definitely relate to stubborn ("right fighters" as Dr. Phil calls them) siblings who carry the lamest of grudges most of their adult lives, I prefer to think in positive terms. I try to maintain a mature peace loving approach and forgive and move on tho it can be challenging to say the least at times w/ family members at constant odds. Keep the lines of communication open, steer clear of issues between the other sisters, and know that you have a special bond that is for keeps. Nuff said! Smile

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Lady of shallot, I feel your sadness. I also have sisters and I know what one word taken the wrong way can cause. I try to shut my mouth most of the time. We are now at the point where we just see each other when it is a must and speak on the phone only when too much time has gone by. It is sad but sometimes the drama is just not worth it.

html

Posts: 2486 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fiboy and Froo for your comments. When just the five of us are together we have a ball and many laughs (despite the schism)

Sisters 3 & 4 live maybe a half hour apart and maybe see each other once a year, usually when sister 1 visits. This year I thought I could join them all but it never worked out that the five of us were together. And there were so many uncomfortable situations again initiated by sisters 3 & 4 that such a trip is not worth it! P.S. we also have a car with no a/c and round trip it is about 1,000 miles! Temps were in high 90's

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mamaspoon:
I had a neighbor way down the street who's dog always went in our yard. After a year of not cleaning it up, I made picked up her dogs deposits, bagged them and left bag in her yard. Doesn't happen anymore!,

Fuggehdaboudit. You are entirely too nice. If that ever happened at my house, the doggie doo would be deposited on the offender's front porch, in a plain brown bag, and set on fire. Then I'd ring the door bell and skeedaddle. Or, I might just deposit the doo in the mailbox. :>)

Posts: 5292 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Had a similar situation years ago. A neighbor's dog enjoyed knocking over our large lidded garbage can and strewing the contents everywhere....but never his own. Early one morning it happened again and my husband picked it all up and deposited the mess on that neighbor's front step. Never happened again!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1935 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the time years ago when I was high school age. Our family had a cattle ranch and one day we found a huge garbage/trash pile on our land ~ mattress springs, broken down furniture, old tires and miscellaneous trash including old magazines with intact mailing labels with, coincidentally, an address less than a couple of miles from our home in town.

Not very happy as we (my Dad and I) had started our day at 4 AM and rode for 10 straight hours with the cattle in 105* heat but my Dad always impressed on us that we take care of the land. So back we went for the cattle truck, shovels and work gloves ~ a couple of hours later it was loaded and we headed to town intending to make a stop at the landfill the next day.

BUT, on the way home, (both of us hot, tired and grumpy), Dad came up with a better idea. He said, "Guess those folks just "accidently" got lost on their way to the dump (not possible as the landfill was nowhere near our land) so maybe we should return their things to them."

Later that night after it was dark and the neighborhood was quiet, Dad and I unloaded all all of the trash/junk onto the front yard of that address and left a note saying "We found your things abandoned on our land and hope you appreciate us returning them to you."

Just wish we could have seen their faces in the morning when they opened their front door! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
we found a huge garbage/trash pile on our land ~ mattress springs, broken down furniture, old tires and miscellaneous trash including old magazines with intact mailing labels

I can't believe that! Why would anyone do something like that? And how stupid were they to think you wouldn't find out who's trash that was when they leave mailing labels on mags. I find nothing wrong with what you did and I would have done the same thing too! Smile

BTW: I tear off and shred all mailing labels and those of family and friends, acct info, etc before tossing mail items in my recycle bin. I don't trust anyone not after my DH told me people are hired to go thru people's trash to find out things about them if they owe them money or something WoW! Can you believe it?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:

I can't believe that! Why would anyone do something like that? And how stupid were they to think you wouldn't find out who's trash that was when they leave mailing labels on mags

Well, nance, they would do it because they thought it was "free" and some people have no respect for anyone else or other people's property; as for leaving the mailing labels intact? Think you answered the question when you asked "how stupid" is that? Ummm, pretty dumb ~ they just never thought that anyone else would do anything about it! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post