Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  what kind of coffee for company?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what kind of coffee for company? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
We don't drink coffee, but we're having new friends over for the first time and was wondering what kind of coffee to prepare. I have the old percolator model that my mother bought us way long time ago so she would have coffee when they visited. Smile (I see them back in the stores now.)

Our friends have that fancy coffee machine in their kitchen and I don't know what kind they like. Can I go somewhere and grind some beans in a small amount? What kind would you get?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Our store has a display that lets you buy whatever amount of beans you need and I think there is a grinder there as well. If my store in my little town has one, I would assume most stores would.

As nice as it is to want to fix coffee for them, I would be more comfortable as a guest sharing whatever the host drinks -- i.e. a pot of tea, glasses of iced tea, etc.

Martha

Posts: 5406 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I would offer decaf as well as regular if it's for after dinner, with dessert. I think your percolator would make good coffee. I have the Tassimo single serve but when I have lots of house guests (which is very frequently) that sleep over I buy by the pound (which isn't a pound anymoreFrown and use the drip coffee maker and keep the remaining in an airtight container in the freezer, it seems to hold up well. As far as what kind of beans, a house blend usually isn't too bold or too mild.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
We don't drink coffee either.

For guests, I kept a can of regular Folgers in the freezer until it was gone then started buying the Maxwell House singles. They still go in the little four cup coffee maker instead of making it a cup at a time like hot tea.

If they want anything 'fancy,' I would suggest that they bring it with them. I wouldn't go buy a varied selection for guests who visit only occasionally.

We visit friends/family who do not drink tea. I pack teabags when we go visit them over the weekend.

Posts: 16486 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
since they live next door, i just texted
her to ask if they drink coffee after dinner.
I, too, am a tea drinker. Smile

p.s. She said "decaf with cream." Hmmm. I think the best thing to do, wo having a lot of coffee in the freezer, is to go and grind some decaf beans, don't ya think? When they say cream, do they actually mean the "whipping cream" stuff or is there a special coffee cream?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
A lot of people use packaged Coffeemate Creamer powdered stuff, but if I were to put cream in my coffee, I would prefer Half & Half (but I wouldn't pass up whipping cream if that was the only choice). A lot of people use milk, too.

I was going to suggest decaf if you were serving it at night. A lot of regular coffee drinkers prefer decaf for dinner because regular coffee interferes with their sleep that night (it does for me, too).

I think it's especially nice of you to go to the trouble of serving freshly ground beans (that's how I buy mine).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can usually find a small bag of vacuum-packed beans at the grocery store that can be ground there and used in your pot. Cream could mean any milk product or flavored non-dairy creamer. I would buy a small container of half-and-half and fill a small creamer.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your quick responses. I called our grocery store and they have bulk beans to grind. I'm assuming they would have decaf ones, too. ???

Purse in hand, I'm off to "smell the coffee" and buy some 1/2 and 1/2. You all had good tips. I'm so glad you're here for me. Smile
Thank you again.

p.s. I know I'm going to be faced with flavor decisions when I get there. ??? I hope that won't be too hard. Smile

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Coffee with cream - usually means half & half - not a powdered anything. Flavored coffees are usually not served either. Just a medium blended coffee - and you can grind just as much as you want in the grocery store - including decaf.

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree -- cream means half and half and no powdered stuff. We like "cream" in our coffee but we NEVER put the powdered stuff in it if that's all that's offered -- we drink ours black!

Also, if you have a Starbucks near you, they have their VIA's -- little coffee envelopes -- each envelope is a good and it is good strong coffee and doesn't taste like "instant". Comes in several varities (dark roast, etc. and also decaf). I use it and always carry it for I've gotten too many coffees at restaurants that weren't (even though that is what I ordered) so . . . this way I know I'll have decaf and will be sound asleep way before 3 a.m.!!!!

You can get them at Starbucks, Wal Mart has them, and, of course, there is the internet!

Martha

Posts: 5406 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Unless you know that they like flavored coffees, I'd stick to a medium roast coffee. You can find that and grind it. And half and half is perfect.

You've got it under control.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nance, she said she is a tea drinker then she said decaf with cream. She might be talking about tea and not coffee. I'm a tea drinker and where I grew up we didn't drink tea with sugar but with milk or cream.

Posts: 909 | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed this thread. I love coffee and make it every morning. I don't drink a lot though, usually only in the morning. I think it's great that you made a new friend!!! That was the icing on the cake. Hope ya'll enjoyed yourselves.
P.S. You sound like a Good Cook! I would never offer to cook for someone unless I was forced to. (like my DH & DD!!!)

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wavy - I only cook as good as the help I get here. Smile

I don't entertain that much. I'd rather do BBQ's if I do, though!

And they were impressed with the coffee!!! Smile

p.s. DH bought apple pie from Cosco and they loved it!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
To be safe I would serve what FFG mentioned, just a good medium roast coffee.
People that are coffee connoisseurs, like DH and I are very particular when it comes to coffee. I've tried all the usual supermarket brands and can't stand them although Dunkin Donuts isn't bad. We drink a certain brand of dark roast with cream (or evaporated milk)and brown sugar.

To me, artificial flavor added to coffee is nasty, but to each his own. Considering the millions of people who get coffee at MCD's or other fast food places, it isn't that important to them.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would serve what FFG mentioned, just a good medium roast coffee.

Just what I did zonelady. thanks for the extra input. Never heard of putting brown sugar in coffee. (but I'm not a coffee drinker) Smile

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Brown sugar is like bacon, it makes everything taste better! LOL! Big Grin

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post