Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Do you have a Meatloaf recipe you love?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a Meatloaf recipe you love? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted
I've been making Ina Garten's Turkey meatloaf recipe, and it's very good but I'm ready to try something new, I'd love to hear your recipes!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The 1770 House meatloaf in her newest cookbook is really really good I made it and it was really really wonderful! I decided that this would be my go-to meatloaf from now on. I subbed extra lean ground beef for the veal (we can't get veal here)

And I DID make the sauce and it was very very good but a bit "fussy"!

Martha

2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 cups chopped Spanish onion (1 large)
1 1/2 cups small-diced celery (2 stalks)
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground veal
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread flakes)
Garlic Sauce (recipe follows)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent but not browned. Set aside to cool slightly.

Place the beef, veal, pork, parsley, thyme, chives, eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Put the panko in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until the panko is finely ground.

Add the onion mixture and the panko to the meat mixture. With clean hands, gently toss the mixture together, making sure it's combined but not compacted.

Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan. Pat the meat into a flat rectangle and then press the sides in until it forms a cylinder down the middle of the pan (this will ensure no air pockets). Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a thermometer inserted in the middle reads 155 degrees F to 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve hot with the Garlic Sauce.

Garlic Sauce

3/4 cup good olive oil

10 garlic cloves, peeled

2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine the oil and garlic in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will be bitter. Remove the garlic from the oil and set aside. (I save the oil for vinaigrettes.)

Combine the chicken stock, butter and cooked garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook at a full boil for 35 to 40 minutes, until slightly thickened. Mash the garlic with a fork, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and taste for seasonings. Spoon the warm sauce over the meatloaf.

Posts: 5413 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't use a recipe for meatloaf...mine is never EXACTLY the same each time. But it is always good!
Some times it gets bbq sauce, some times smoked flavor, some times I add oatmeal, some times I add smashed saltine crackers...it all depends on what I have & how I feel that day.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4352 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Martha, I saw that episode when the chef from The 1770 House was on Ina's show, and it looked so good, I was hoping someone actually made it and was able to report back on it. I'm happy to hear it was, I'm going to make it, I know it'll be delicious! Thanks! g.a.karen, I know what you mean, sometimes I prefer a little sweetness to my meatloaf and other times I like a savory brown sauce!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Recently on The Chew, Donna Parry's Grandmother's Meatloaf recipe won the award. I haven't tried it yet, but the reviewers all raved about it. I plan to try it next time I do a meatloaf.

2 Eggs (beaten)
1 cup Italian Style Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 slices White Bread (soaked in milk and excess liquid squeezed out)
1/2 cup Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon Mustard
2 tablespoon Bacon Grease
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Steak Sauce
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 packet of Onion Soup Mix
1/4 cup Raisins
2 Carrots (grated)
1 cup freshly grated Locatelli Cheese
2 pounds ground Beef
Bake in 325 oven for about 50 minutes. Then add the topping and bake 10 minutes more.

Topping: 1 tablespoon Ketchup
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar

(note: Locatelli is the same as Romano cheese.) One of the viewers said she used golden raisins. If you want to read the reviews, go to www.thechew.com. I just typed "meatloaf" in the search box and it brought up all 3 of the recipes that were competing that day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Yum, those recipes sound great.

I never use a recipe for my meatloaf, but always add fresh chopped onion, celery, red and green pepper, which has been sauteed first in a bit of butter, along with the requisite bread soaked in milk, eggs, and fresh ground pepper to lean ground beef. Herbs and seasonings include Worcestershire sauce and fresh dill weed.

Lately, I have been spreading ketchup and bottled BBQ sauce on the meatloaf and covering it with a few slices of thick hickory bacon slices before baking it. I do this to please DH who is not a big meatloaf lover.

When I want to lighten things up, I swear by this recipe from fitness expert Denise Austin. It's the sage in the poultry seasoning that makes the difference.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small pieces
1/3 cup 1% milk
1 large egg
12 ounces ground turkey breast
4 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons ketchup
To Make:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9"" x 9"" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, put the bread in a large bowl. With a fork, stir in the milk and egg. Let stand for 5 minutes, until softened, then mash the bread with the fork.
Add the ground turkey, sausage, poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper, and the sautéed onion and bell pepper. Mix gently until just blended. (Mixture will be soft.)
Shape into a free-form loaf in the prepared baking pan. Spoon the ketchup on top and spread gently with a knife.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf registers 170°F. Cool for a few minutes before slicing.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Ladies,
Aychihuahua, my husband is just the opposite. Having grown up in Holland, they never ate meatloaf. So the first time I made it, I thought he was crazy, telling me how really good it was. It was a simple meatloaf. Now if I even hint that I am thinking of making one, he all but turns the oven on and waits for me to start making it. And I, like ga.Karen never make it the same. We both agreed, however, that we like the ketchup topping put on 1/2 way through the cooking instead of the beginning.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I wing it also.

Mine is kind of unusual but it comes out very traditional in flavor.

Ground beef, veal and pork mixture
mild or medium salsa
oatmeal
egg
milk
salt and pepper

mix lightly and bake. I sometimes will use a loaf pan but I'm using the open pan method more these days. I use the drippings to make gravy. I'm not overly fond of ketchup on top so I leave that off.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post