Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What r u doing w your leftover ham?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What r u doing w your leftover ham? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I just made this and will let it "meld" til dinner or tmorrow lunch. Did not include the egg. Oh, oops, looks like I forgot the celery seed, too. Smile

ham salad sandwich

2 cups ham, finely chopped
opt: 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/3 cup mayo
1/2 t prepared mustard
1/8 t celery seed

ham may be chopped by hand or in a food processor.
Mix celery, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard and celery seed in a medium size bowl. Add chopped ham and eggs. Mix until blended. Keep refrigerated.
Serve with/on crackers or in a sandwich.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We didn't fix ham yesterday, but did have boneless pork chops.

A neat way to use up a bit of ham is to make sandwiches out of it. Mix mustard, butter, mayo and chopped onion together. Slather it on a nice roll, put on the ham and some cheese. Wrap each sandwich in foil and freeze. When ready to eat, take the sandwiches out of the freezer and pop THE WRAPPED sandwich in the oven at about 350. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until all hot and the cheese is melted and gooey. They are wonderful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
We visited this weekend so no cooking here! However, I pulled a package of leftover Christmas ham from the freezer. I'm thinking ham and noodles.

I've also made ham salad, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, ham pot pie, frittata, omelet...

Posts: 16537 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had lamb and so no leftovers (a rack not a leg == just two of us!) but my favorite thing to do with the ham bone is to cook it with beans!

We like ham salad and of course, ham for omelettes or quiches, and freeze some small packages to use for seasonings.

Martha

Posts: 5413 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We have sandwiches for lunches, and then the last of it is used with ham/green beans/potatoes....one of our favorite dishes.

We refer to the days of leftovers as "ham-a-lot" !

Posts: 3037 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I'm joining the choir, we didn't have ham, I like it but our 5 kids don't and neither does my husband, he especially doesn't like HONEY BAKED!!!!! I do!! But, if you have a ham bone it adds a great dimension to bean soups, lentil soups, kale and potato soup... ham croquettes also come to mind.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only wish we had some leftovers - all gone on the first go-around! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
With any leftover ham, I make MY favorite... mac-n-cheese with ham bits/cubes. DH doesn't like any type of cooked cheese and I usually accommodate him. So having leftovers is a real treat for me!!!

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We are almost finished with ham leftovers as we celebrate on Palm Sunday.
I made a new recipe for Scalloped Yukon Gold potatoes with ham, lots of green pepper, Greek yogurt. I prefer my old standby recipe though.
Ham sandwiches and tomorrow night grilled ham & cheese with a great potato salad I get at the grocery near my hometown which is to die for.
I don't know what she uses, but it's fabulous and folks from 8 counties surrounding rave about it like I do.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Since we had both lamb AND ham for Easter, we still have ham leftovers - which we do enjoy though. And the lamb is long gone. But, yesterday, I made "pasta i ***ioli" with the meaty ham bone and it was fabulous and we have more for tonight's dinner. For those of you unfamiliar with this earthy Italian concoction, it's simply a thick and hearty pasta and bean soup - made with sauteed onions and garlic (and celery and carrots if you have it on hand) and a can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes - chicken broth - the ham bone - let it cook for half an hour - then add several cans of beans (I used both cannelini & pinto beans) - continue cooking a half hour or so - then add elbow macaroni - and I added hot water to keep the macaroni cooking - and Italian seasoning and some chili powder. Cooked for another half hour - and ready for spooning into deep bowls - cut off ham pieces - and serve with parmigian cheese.

Seaborne

Posts: 982 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Oh my - the Italian spelling for beans - was altered - amazing - so look it up - often it is called and found on the internet as pasta fazoo.

Seaborne

Posts: 982 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to Fusilli soup? Our grocery store makes a huge batch and keeps it frozen for customers. I picked some up for a neighbor who was recovering from surgery and they just raved about it.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
No - it is not fusilli soup - it is pasta and bean soup with a ham bone. The word for beans in Italian starts with the same letter as "face" and ends in the same letter as "good" and has an "a" inbetween. So - put it together - - - ioli.

Seaborne

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I like to do a breakfast type scramble with some leftover ham.
Hash browns w/onions & peppers and then throw in the amount of ham you want long enough for it to get hot. Scrambled eggs & toast w/homemade jelly finishes it out. You can add cheese on top of the hashbrown mess too as you serve it is you want.
It's one of our favorites!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4354 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6626 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Seaborne - now I know what you're talking about. Smile Pasta E ***ioli Soup like Olive Garden's.

http://restaurant.food.com/rec...ck-pot-copycat-31717

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Now you got it, Nance.

Seaborne

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Smile

posted Hide Post
Very late reply to the post re"left over ham" but this is what I do with it. 1. just a plain ham sandwitch. 2. Grind it up with an about 1/2 an onion,some sweet pickle,add some mayo to make a sandwitch spread,put on some dark bread with a leaf or 2 of fresh greens,or cut the ham into a small dice, make a simple white sauce, add the ham, heat thru and put over some chow main noodles. Or grind/slice up the ham,then slice up some potatoes,and layer the ham and potatoes in an oven proff dish, dilute some cream of mushroom soup, pour that over the top of the dish and bake at 35O untill the potatoes are done .
Hope that helps ,
Mary

Posts: 1867 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post