Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Your GOOD dishes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your GOOD dishes Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6623 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Not really best but a dish story, nonetheless. When I was a child my Dad made us a short table (this for Christmas) and then they also gave us children a set of grown up dishes! I thought this was the most amazing present and maybe started me on my lifelong love affair with china.

Don't know what happened to either the china or the table. But this was the set

Posts: 12176 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idaho Resident, be sure to let us know if you get your dishes back because we will all be hoping you do.

Quiltzilla, what pretty patterns you have. I would love to collect transferware. I love the different scenes depicted.

Lady of Shallot, the memory of your father making the special table for the children and setting it with special china is wonderful. Have you written down or recorded your memories? I would think the younger generation in your family would treasure them.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think the younger generation in your family would treasure them.

Sometimes I am tempted Gracie, but they all are not interested. Lately some of them on facebook got talking about a house they knew as children and I have thought about writing about that house as we knew it and what it had been like when my dad bought it at the end of WW2.

I can not tell you how I wish I had more information now that I am doing my genealogy. If only I had asked my grandpa one simple question it would have saved me so much work. but who knows?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
I would think the younger generation in your family would treasure them.

Sometimes I am tempted Gracie, but they all are not interested. Lately some of them on facebook got talking about a house they knew as children and I have thought about writing about that house as we knew it and what it had been like when my dad bought it at the end of WW2.

I can not tell you how I wish I had more information now that I am doing my genealogy. If only I had asked my grandpa one simple question it would have saved me so much work. but who knows?

See? That's the thing. While they might not seem interested right now, I'll bet they will be very interested once they hit middle age. You have had such an interesting life and you have memories of earlier generations. Even if you just recorded random thoughts on random subjects, I think they would make a wonderful keepsake. I wish I had records of what my antecedents thought of life during the Great Depression and WWII, the social changes of the 1960's, etc. I'd love to hear them describe a normal day, what they did, what they ate, what they wore and to do the same for special occasions like Christmas or a birthday.

I tried to get my grandparents to talk to me about those sorts of things before they died, but they wouldn't. I don't know if it was too painful or too boring for them. I've given my parents some of those guided memory books, but they put them away unused. I guess I'll have to make do with novels set in various eras, but that's not the same as memories connected to people that you know.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
IR, I am so glad you weren't there when this happened. Also, I'm just shocked that someone would steal china.....a burglar with excellent taste!

I hope you get your china and other posessions retuned to you, as they are so special to you. We all understand your loss.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
IR, I am so sorry that you are having to live through something like this. I hope the Authorities can quickly restore your cherished belongings.

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Quiltzilla, your Virginia Rose pattern is quite different than my piece. Is it a Homer-Laughlin Pattern?

IR, this is sad news about your dishes and especially sad to know you will not have them to use when your MIL comes to visit. All the memories she must have of using the dishes and hosting family gatherings with her loved ones, who are no longer here.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to hear them describe a normal day, what they did, what they ate, what they wore and to do the same for special occasions like Christmas or a birthday.

I would even like this in the books I read!

Look at my new post regarding this!