Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Your GOOD dishes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your GOOD dishes Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gracie. Actually my Pfaltzgraff Charlotte dishes are white with an embossed edge. Those are pretty too! I love florals! It's nice of you to post pictures for us Smile

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
Thank you Gracie. Actually my Pfaltzgraff Charlotte dishes are white with an embossed edge. Those are pretty too! I love florals! It's nice of you to post pictures for us Smile

Sorry, Georgia Peach, for getting the wrong pattern. I like the Charlotte white even better, but I could only find a picture of a bread plate.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
That's it! A couple of Christmas's ago I asked for solid white plates. These are in the Pfaltzgraff Everyday collection and I have thoroughly enjoyed them! Thanks again for posting Smile

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy to do it as I love seeing the pictures. It's funny how some china pattern names seem to fit the pattern and others seem totally random.

Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
I was getting disappointed that I wasn't seeing any more pictures...then I realized there was a second page!LOL Keep them coming! Love seeing everyones treasures. Thanks Gracie

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I only have a few pieces of these 2 patterns. They were my grandmother's and packed in a box for years. I'd like to collect more pieces.

Hope to be able to add pictures today....

ETA..this is Virginia Rose Homer Laughlin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
The powers that be let me post pictures today....Hooray !

ETA...this is Royal Gadroon Harker Pottery Ivy 2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, I grew up eating on Virginia Rose!! In later years, my mother purchased replacements then eventually gave them to my brother #2.

She had already given me two sets of family dishes (including the Homer Laughlin Pink Magnolia I've already posted). The other set I passed on to baby brother because he had none.

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good dishes are Coalport Athlone Blue. They have a white center, wide cobalt blue band and gold edge.

Christmas plates are Spode Christmas Tree.

This post is fun. So many different patterns.

I love fall patterns like the pumpkins, but I have no more room in my cabinets.

I'll post pictures later.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Georgia Peach, I grew up eating on Virginia Rose!! In later years, my mother purchased replacements then eventually gave them to my brother #2.

She had already given me two sets of family dishes (including the Homer Laughlin Pink Magnolia I've already posted). The other set I passed on to baby brother because he had none.

KYIS, of my dishes I think the few I have that were passed down through the family are my favorites. I wonder if my children will feel the same about my patterns? I doubt it...LOL SmileI'm trying to remember the pattern that my mother has that she used when I was growing up. I remember it was called Desert Rose but I don't remember the maker. I'll have to ask her.

16Paws I googled your pattern and it's a beautiful blue. Hope you will post a picture.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach - I bet your children will surprise you about liking, wanting, having and using your china. Our 3 aren't even married and they are all moving this spring to more perm housing. Each has expressed some form of request for tableware, cookware and utensils, etc. Especially the sons that pleasantly surprised me.
I need to be making decisions about sharing mine to reduce my collection, more likely just to make room for more "new" patterns.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've attached a picture of the breadplate, which is a serving plate for bread or rolls it's a bit more ornate than the dinner plates.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach
Franciscan Desert Rose?
Franciscan made several still desirable designs.

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is this pattern. This was my parents' wedding china and they celebrated 60 years in January. Thanks KYIS for posting and thank you Linderhof for a fun thread Smile

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Graciepj for posting those pics of my china. Would love to own Spode Tower Pink, Villeroy and Boch's Audun Ferme or Ralph Lauren
Hampton Rose (Tartan & Roses). I don't think I'll be allowed to purchase anymore china...but one can dream!

Posts: 734 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graciepj, Thanks so much for posting the pictures of everyone's "good" china ~ I know I have enjoyed it so much and so have many others so this might be a bit of a challenge for you to do the same with my pattern but thought I'd share the story of "my" good china:

When my Grandma died, my Dad and his brother gathered everyone together and there was only one rule ~ everyone took turns selecting an item and no one left until the house was completely empty. After a long day, I saw a half dozen dishes set to the side ~ in the pile headed to the Salvation Army re-sale place ~ a dinner plate, two soup bowls, a tea cup and saucer.

I took them home and about fell over next time I was at my MIL's House ~ she had the EXACT salad plate plus a teacup and saucer displayed above her fireplace! She told me that HER mother had started to collect Homer Laughlin pieces that came in soap boxes ~ just as my grandmother had done.

Long story short ~ we put them together (pieces both dh's and my grandmother had collected) and now I have a complete service for twelve. How? Well, it became a point of honor to see what we could find ~ dh and I had great fun looking for a "special find" in whatever city we traveled to or through and MIL/FIL did the same.

Grandma passed away in 1989 and the quest continued until my FIL passed in 2004 ~ 15 years of finding unique pieces and I have to say that each gift just was so special. The year they found a vegetable bowl with lid was so special and then a gravy boat with plate (very rare) and then all of the berry dishes?

Well, that is truly love passed on through the years and several generations and it all started with a few different pieces from two different Grandma's over the years....

Would this be a pattern I would choose? Probably not, but it is one filled with love that was expressed through actions instead of words. It's Homer Laughlin - has a number of different names (Empire and Empress to name two), Graceiepj, two type of roses - one floribund and the other tea - always pink and green ~ NOT the grey pattern. Can you find it and post the pattern for others? Thanks in advance if you do. Cool

ETA : just remembered that the third name for this pattern was Cameo if that helps!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IR, is this the pattern? There are lots of patterns from that china company at Replacements, Ltd

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My only china was my grandmother's . It is called Syracuse Suzanne.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I gave my good dishes (a college graduation gift) to my daughter when she started her new apartment as she started college. I have a few saucers to give her that I've found. Do people use coffee saucers any longer?

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Saucers can often additionally work as desert plates.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, it has been so much fun to see all of the different patterns. Thank you for starting the thread.

Idaho Resident, I love your wonderful story of how you and your family searched for pieces to go with your set. What wonderful history to have. I found several patterns with the names you gave me. Are any of these the right ones?

posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of Suedorcoo's wish list. Maybe we should start a new thread for "china patterns we would love to own." Unfortunately, I think that thread would probably include every pattern available. Smile

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Beautiful dishes! Forgot to mention, I gave the other daughter her great grandmother's china. I figure it is time to let go and allow my daughters to begin the entertaining with good dishes.

Again....beautiful dishes. I'm sure what is served is equally wonderful.

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16paws:
IR, is this the pattern? There are lots of patterns from that china company at Replacements, Ltd

16paws, No, that's not it but Graciepj did find it - see her post. Thanks for looking, though, and you're right. Replacements, Ltd. is a great resource for finding out-of-date china! Cool

posted Hide Post
Graciepj, You're amazing! The second pattern you posted called "Empire Green" is the one with the floribunda rose but I also have the same green border with the tea rose that is shown in the Cameo photograph you posted! Smile

I'm not sure if they are two distinct patterns and I simply mixed up the two OR if they used the larger rose on the larger pieces and the tea rose on the smaller dishes like the very small "berry" dessert bowls. In any event, my set contains a combination of the two. Big Grin

The big challenge in finding "acceptable" pieces is that (although you can't see it well in the photograph) there is a fine gold line around the outside of the green. Finding pieces that have the gold intact with no chips or fading is really difficult but it's great when you do!

Thanks for taking the time to find and post my pattern and I'm glad you enjoyed the "story behind my set of china!" Cool

PS. Our life-style is such that DH and I have taken to using my every day heavy white dishes for most meals but I always make sure to get out the china whenever my MIL is here (she's 91 now) and it brings a smile to her face when she sees it and remembers her mother's pieces and the one's she and dear FIL helped to collect!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
IR -- what a great story and what pretty china!

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I liked IR's story too. Here is a picture of the dishes from a Craigslist's listing in Spokane that shows the gold rim better. I never knew Homer Laughlin made dishes under the Lifetime China Co. name or had so many patterns.

Idaho Resident you wrote that the dishes came in soap boxes. I was wondering what that meant. Did they get a free dish when they bought soap? The dishes seem too nice for that type of give-away promotion.

jpg

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I always make sure to get out the china whenever my MIL is here (she's 91 now) and it brings a smile to her face when she sees it and remembers her mother's pieces and the one's she and dear FIL helped to collect!"

Good for you! I'll never forget the look on my first MILs face when I served cake off a pink Cabbage Rose cake plate that originally belonged to her Aunt Sue. She beamed as she said, "I am so glad you are using Aunt Sue's cake plate!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

Good for you! I'll never forget the look on my first MILs face when I served cake off a pink Cabbage Rose cake plate that originally belonged to her Aunt Sue. She beamed as she said, "I am so glad you are using Aunt Sue's cake plate!"

And I bet the cake tasted even better to her, KYIS! Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still tryin:
I liked IR's story too. Here is a picture of the dishes from a Craigslist's listing in Spokane that shows the gold rim better. I never knew Homer Laughlin made dishes under the Lifetime China Co. name or had so many patterns.

Idaho Resident you wrote that the dishes came in soap boxes. I was wondering what that meant. Did they get a free dish when they bought soap? The dishes seem too nice for that type of give-away promotion.

Linderhof, glad you liked the background story of my china!

still tryin: Great job of finding and posting the picture of the set ~ it really showed the gold rim which is so difficult to find intact!

As for the distribution method? I only learned about it from my MIL so can't say it for fact but since my Grandma had one dinner plate, two soup bowls and her mother had one salad plate AND both had a cup and saucer, it seems that it is true that they were contained in soap boxes ~ luck of the draw which piece you got! Big Grin

When you think about it, shipping in the reinforced boxes the large laundry flakes used to come in would have been the perfect transportation method in those days ~ almost as good as a crate and sawdust!

And, yes, they were fine china BUT I think at that time EVERYONE used china which was why so many people concentrated on giving newlyweds china as a wedding present. I don't think it was until the mid-fifties that "everyday" dishes became popular.

BTW, I "think" these pieces date back to the late 1930s to the mid-1940s but not sure. Just sure that my china set means a lot to me....

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is not really properly placed here but you can imagine for a dish lover how thrilling it was to see this display in my favorite discount store.

All these dishes very reasonably priced (from 50¢ to maybe $8 each) Since I absolutely do not need one more dish (did buy 4 of the smallest ones) I had to restrain myself. also I have quite a collection of white all free from our town swap shop and all accumulated over time. Find at least one piece at each visit!

Posts: 12136 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a simple setting for a mid-day meal for returned snow bird friends. All the white dishes were free. Some of the cup and saucer sets are valued at $90

posted Hide Post
Wow, Lady of Shallot, what a tempting display. I would have had a hard time walking away after buying only four dishes.

posted Hide Post
Oooooh! LoS! I would love to stroll the aisles in that store.

I love browsing through thrift stores and even stopped a couple of times on my way back from a job-related meeting. Great place to walk around and stretch my legs during the trip home.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- all I can say is WOW!!! A great opportunity to pick up some white dishes!

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
When I was first married (over 50 years ago), I purchased a set of blue willow dishes (Homer Laughlin) from the Woolworth's 5&10 cent store. It's even got a number on the bottom of the dish: A56 N6. I'm kicking myself that I didn't keep that beautiful set. They were so well made. The bottoms of the dishes were completely glazed just like the rest of the dish. I notice that today's dishes have a rough finish (no glaze) on the circle that's on the bottom of the dishes, which looks cheap to me. I only saved the small meat platter. After 50+ years of use, there isn't a crack or chip anywhere and no crackles in the glaze either. Waaaaaah!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Today I had a few extra minutes before an appointment so I stopped at the seasonal flea market which just opened again. Hadn't been there in a couple years so wanted to see what's new. They are still putting bunches of new stuff out so I'll go again in a couple weeks.
I'm always just looking for that special one thing I have no idea what it will be.
She carries lots of china, glassware, old toys & linens. Packed in to the gills and rafters, but they'll help get out whatever you want. The owner knows EVERYTHING she has.
It was so cute listening to her advise the staff on how to set up a new display today.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandy O !
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, I have a very similar pattern called Gastonia, the story goes my DGF and DM were in the city's premier department store looking for dishes for DGM and came together with the same design. I had the complete set for 12.

Posts: 1259 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the plain and simple one here. My everyday are the Corelle white and my "good" dishes are plain white porcelain from Pier One. Both sets are for 24. All of my serveware is white porcelain or white stoneware.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad follow-up to the story of my Homer-Laughlin Empire Green china posted above in bits and pieces ~ check out the above posts for story....

Well, it happened ~ we just were burglarized and what did the thieves take (along with many other items?) ~ my set of china that I just described ~ all carefully packaged in those custom-made containers with the zippers for dinner plates, bowls, odd-shaped pieces and the rest. I'm sure that it made it much easier for them to transport.... Censored

They have no idea of the number of years it took to find each piece to make a collection that honored both sets of grandmothers, both sets of parents and, while I'm talking about it, the efforts and fun both dh and I had completing this set.

It just looked like easy money to them but the good news is that people like those who stole it have no loyalty; as soon as the first one was arrested on un-related charged, he started talking and it looks like we might get the set back intact ~ we'll see....

Not looking for any advice here ~ yes, we have insurance (but will not be making a claim due to the difficulty of proving the value of pieces of china long out of date), and, yes, we had recently installed steel doors with double locks plus deadbolts (they simply by-passed those by using a crow-bar to dismantle the door frame and jam).

And, yes, it happened at the "old" farmhouse while we are living at the new one but it could have just as easily have happened here at the new house when we were away. Mad

I am extremely thankful to our local law enforcement personnel who are working hard to get "our things" back to us as well as the countless other "things" that others have lost. So why am I posting? Well, as sympathetic as they have been, they just don't really understand what it means to lose "your good china" ~ think everyone who has ever posted on this thread does...

So, I'm hoping to hear from some of you who "do get it." I'm still hopeful that it might be recovered; if not, I guess it just feels good to know that, perhaps, others understand that it wasn't just a loss of some dishes....

posted Hide Post
I get it, IR, and I am so, so sorry to hear this. I am incredibly thankful that they didn't breal into your current house and cause harm to you and your dh. I only hope that law enforcement is able to bring justice AND your heirlooms back to you.

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
OMG, IR -- how awful! I've always joked about the things I care about thieves wouldn't take but would instead go for the tvs, etc. And those can be replaced!

But it looks like I was wrong!

I am so sorry about your loss and hope that you DO get it back!!! I'm sure you will!

As far as insurance, there is Replacements.com which would have the prices on it, and although high, would at least be a starting point.

I just read your post with my mouth open -- I was so shocked. For I never thought things like dishes would be worthwhile to steal!

Martha

posted Hide Post
How awful IR. Can't believe thieves in this day and age would take your china among things they stole- seems most often today they're looking for electronics ,etc. When you have been burglarized, it's such a sense of personal intrusion and invasion. When you have collected something, like your china, over the course of many many years, it's part of the fabric of who you are, where you've been and with whom.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I'm happy that you are safe, but I know losing such an important part of your family's history is heartbreaking. I hope you do get all of your china and anything else stolen back.

posted Hide Post
I too am very sorry. Contact local antique/junk stores and pawn shops.

posted Hide Post
IR that is a terrible story! Glad the police apprehended the thieves. Hope you do get your china back. I doubt very much the thieves would care what you had gone to to collect the china. Bad people don't care about other people.

My sister had an intruder while she was home. She lost her wallet which was in her purse on the kitchen counter. They have since installed an alarm system.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, charcoalsmom, Linderhof, mamaspoon,Graciepj, KYIS and LOS, I so appreciate your kind thoughts. I agree, I NEVER EVER thought that anyone would want to steal this type of item but they did ~ lesson learned.

You all know the background story of how this set was completed but, as far as making an insurance claim/value? Most of the pieces are so rare that even Replacements.com doesn't have them and has no listed value for them so it is difficult to calculate.

RC does have the standard pieces with valuations and then those discounted by 25%/50% due to condition and then they list the other pieces originally made in that pattern ~ with no price set as none are available. I understand why ~ it's a rare event to find some of them still intact after so many years ~ I was just so happy when we did every once in a while. It was a shared journey with others that I will remember even if the china is gone.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone ~ sometimes a dish is just a dish; other times, it has a whole story to tell all on its own. Cool

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I LOVE this thread!
IR, what a sad time for you.
The Virginia Rose pic is not the same as the Virginia Rose my mom had in the 30's. I'll look for a pic. I have a few pieces she salvaged & a few from antique shops.

Posts: 6621 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
My everyday dishes are red Westerbach.
I use Homer Laughlin Currier & Ives for holidays. Each piece has a different scene.

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I love my Wembley for special occasions. Almost all are from ebay.