Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Your GOOD dishes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your GOOD dishes Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Lurah's post made me curious as to what everyone's good dishes are. Please share your brand and pattern. And pics too if you have them. I know I'm not alone in being curious as to what everyone's good dishes look like

Martha

Posts: 5411 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I gave mine to my son & his wife years ago. I got tired of making room for something I didn't use that often.
So if you come to my house to eat you will get Corelle! I haven't ever noticed that "what" something was served on changed the taste of the food served on/in it!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My every day dishes are Corelle with the ivy design.

My "fancy eatin' dishes" are solid white...no design molded in...just smooth. They are nothing special (came from Service Merchandise in a boxed set). I don't have enough storage space for more or I'd have a set of dishes for every occasion. So the white dishes go well with every occasion and season and look good with whatever table linens I use.

I also have my DGMs last set of dishes. It's Homer Laughlin Rhythm Pink Magnolia. DGF saw it at the Western Auto store in New Boston Texas. DGM loved pink so he surprised her with it. I have been able to replace a few missing pieces. It's nice to use when serving BFFs.

Posts: 16506 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mine are English late l9th century. bought them in an antique store (a wonderful place in the country. . . but sophisticated) Had worked on taking the census and used the money to buy these.

They are marked (ink and incised) with the dates of manufacture. What I especially love about this set are the footed pieces. also there are a lot of platters. Demi-tasse cups and large coffee cups.

However "best" is for me a little confusing as some of the pieces of blue and white are maybe more valuable than some of these pieces.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12186 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Haviland Silver Anniversary

http://p2.la-img.com/241/14198/4438048_1_l.jpg

that I mix with Royal Albert's Old Country Roses:

http://dyn-images2.hsni.com/is...418200539~365601.jpg

For everyday, I use blue-n-white forals mixed with beaded white ironstone, but not much in the blue willow scenes.

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Lenox Chirp as the ones we grab for every day. For a little more special occasion, I use Wedgwood Fidelity or Minton Windermere. The Minton has handled bouillon cups that are fun to use for soup, fruit or dessert. Don't get me started on holiday china because that's my obsession.

Posts: 1730 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually use all my china depending on the occasion:

l. Adams Old Colonial (my wedding china)
2. Royal Doulton Booth's Real Old Willow (purchased online - was never used)
3. Mason's Nabob (inherited)
4. Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne Stoneware (service for 20 - purchased about 10 years after married)
5. Corelle (use everyday in kitchen - takes lots of abuse into microwave and dishwasher)

Posts: 735 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
OMG, I have so many dishes I don't know where to start, or which ones are my best, but I'm loving this thread!

I'll try to get a few pics posted tonight, but you've so opened a can of worms! Next to fabric, I love dishes the most.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am already envious...and I can tell that it's just going to get worse!

Posts: 16506 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anon, I want to see every single pattern that you are willing to show us. I absolutely love china and I think it is a very practical thing to collect.

Suedorcoo, I hope you don't mind, but I thought I would show your china patterns in a picture.

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
These are not my best dishes, but I think they're my favorite.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
The Easter dishes are cute!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I love seeing everyone's china!!! And, of course, Suedorcoo, I ADORE your Royal Doulton real old willow -- it's such a pretty pattern and I'm a sucker for blue and white!

Here are mine:

First my grandmother's -- noritake marcasite. I have a whole set with serving pieces.

Martha

Posts: 5411 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the following:
1) Everyday- Mikasa English Countryside- service for 10
2) Blue willow- 8 place settings
3) Spode Christmas Tree- complete service for 12
4) Lenox-registered for it almost 50 yrs ago and has been packed away for the last 15 yrs.
Forget the name, but its ivory porcelain with platinum rim.

I knew this discussion would have a positive result: WELCOME BACK LADY OF SHALLOT!! We have missed you!

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I love these.....

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And then I collect "blue" china -- English blue and white transferware. I have mainly four different patterns and a few odds and ends in other patterns but mostly they are all the same shade of blue.

Martha

First: Spode Blue Italian

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spode Camilla in blue

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Asiatic Pheasant in blue and white -- several different brands -- lots of manufacturers made Asiatic Pheasant.

Martha

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I love seeing all the dishes, they're all beautiful!

I have many more, but unfortunately when my computer died I lost many of the pictures. I need to take more, but it will take some time.

Welcome back, LOS, you've been missed.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And lastly, my Spode Blue Room

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Emily -- it's nice to see you posting again! LOVE your dishes! And all of your blue and white as well!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows I adore blue and white but I also have another passion -- the Asian patterns similar to what is known as "famille rose" -- and I have four different patterns. Not as much of this china as my beloved blue and white, but . . I still like it.

And it all is bone china rather than earthenware.

Martha

This is Aynsley 5683 which is BEFORE Pembroke. I have cups, saucers and tea plates and in the Pembroke pattern I have a teapot, creamer and sugar.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Wedgwood cuckoo -- dinner plates only!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spode Famille Rose -- cups, saucers and bread and butter plates.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Crown Staffordshire Rock Bird -- I have a platter, some salad plates and two teapots (a 5 cups and a 3 cup)

Martha

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Annon, I especially love your toile cabbage roses transferware!

I tend to love dishes almost too much and when we yard saled I bought every transferware dish/plate I could find. I also 'somehow' collected more dish sets than we needed so finally began to edit them. I've sold, and am still selling, many through a local consignment shop. I don't really differentiate between good and ordinary dishes so use them daily according to how I feel.

I have a set of 12 placesettings as well as all serving pieces of this blue Denby Castille I bought in the 70's in Europe. Now discontinued. Pottery wine glasses are a fairly good match. I use the large teapot almost daily.

This set of Shakespeare's Sonnets Anne Hathaways Cottage transferware is used mostly in the winter as the dinner plates have a snow scene.

Have a set of this pink Churchill's 'The Brook' transferware but only have a pic of the platter.

I have a small set of this Enoch Wood's English Scenery red transferware which is older than the previous set.

I only have 4 handmade pottery breakfast plates left of these.

This is my largest platter which I only use as a fall decoration. It's Midwinter polychrome "Turkey". I have platters in my main set which I use.

Another platter used only for decoration. Don't know the name and it's packed away.

This pink transferware platter is my favorite. Its "Washington" pattern by Booths.

I love little decorative plates like this. Not valuable but of a different 'age'.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow! I can't believe all of the beautiful patterns.

Anon, the pattern in your china cabinet is wonderful and so perfect for that style. Your Easter dishes and pink floral pattern are very pretty, too. I especially like the shape of the plates in the pink set.

Linderhof, I could live happily in the world you've created on the plains of Kansas. I would never tire of setting the table with your selections of blue and white china and the wonderful Famille Rose patterns.

Joyluck, I never knew that you collect transferware. That set with Anee Hathaway's Cottage is amazing as is the table setting you showed with the sweet breakfast plates and embroidered rooster placemats. How do you display your platters seasonally, may I ask?

I see that some of you referred to a post by Lady of Shallot, but I guess she deleted it before I had a chance to visit today. I know that she has a wonderful collection of blue and white dishes. Is that what she shared?

ETA: Thanks, Lurah, for pointing out the LOS post. I looked through the thread twice, but still missed it. I guess I was expecting blue and white so I passed right by the china cabinet one.

Lady of Shallot, that is a beautiful pattern. Does it have a name?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6623 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My good china is Towle by Royal LImoges in the Richeleu pattern, coordinated with Noritake D'Azure white with navy blue and gold rims, 12 place settings of each.
Love that you're here again Lady of Shallot.
(See the 4th post in this thread for her pattern pix.)
Everyday use Phaltzgraff Yorktowne stoneware, Faberware stoneware Country Life, Corelle, and a china pattern I bought with groceries 35+ yrs ago.
For Thanksgiving my latest splurge was 16 & 8 place settings of Johnson Brothers' Friendly Village & Friendly Visitor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Word DocChina_Towle_Richelieu_pattern.doc (36 Kb, 4 downloads)

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graciepj:
Joyluck, I never knew that you collect transferware. That set with Anee Hathaway's Cottage is amazing as is the table setting you showed with the sweet breakfast plates and embroidered rooster placemats. How do you display your platters seasonally, may I ask?

Thanks Gracie. I collected transferware for many years most from yard sales and thrift shops. Here's a pic of a platter from a few years ago when I had a baker's rack in my kitchen that I decorated seasonally. I often used to use plates and platters in a vignette just by placing them on a standing plate holder.

I forgot to mention I also have a set of blue Willow transferware I bought new years ago.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
My everyday is Pfaltzgraf Juniper, and for holidays I use their Heritage White set. If the attachment works I posted my found treasure of Lily of the Valley Treasure Chest.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Joyluck, for showing one way you display your platters. I bought a green, rectangular Bordallo platter last year at Tuesday Morning that I would like to work into my holiday decor, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to put it. I don't have many flat surfaces and most of the ones in the kitchen and dining room get used for serving meals when I have guests at the holidays so I can't have decor on them.

Jo-CT, your found treasure is a very pretty pattern. Will you mix it with your Pfaltzgraff Juniper or use it separately?

posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see you back Lady of Shallot. I have lurked for many years before registering and always enjoyed your posts.
My everyday dishes are Mikasa Antique White. My china is Lenox Castle Garden; my Christmas china is Lenox Holiday- all complete service for twelve plus serving pieces. I don't know how to post pictures yet.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pkpk23:
My everyday dishes are Mikasa Antique White. My china is Lenox Castle Garden; my Christmas china is Lenox Holiday- all complete service for twelve plus serving pieces. I don't know how to post pictures yet.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Wow, so much china!! We have only two sets. For every day we use Villeroy and Boch Naif. Here's one of the designs.

http://slimages.macys.com/is/i...35&hei=135&fit=fit,1

The "fancy" china is Royal Doulton but I don't remember the pattern. It's a creamy color with small yellow flowers and a gold border.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6223 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graciepj- Thank you for posting my china pictures!

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Graciepj- Never thought about mixing the two patterns. Going to have to try it. I still haven't brought myself to use the china yet. After it was packed away for 50 plus years I really should.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pkpk23, happy to help!

Jo-CT, your dishes are saying, "Please let us see the light of day and look pretty on your table. We're sad and lonely here in this dark box. Let us out, puleeeeeeeeeze." Rolling LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My good dishes are called Eternal by Lenox. They are cream with a simple gold rim. I have built my set up to 30 place settings, and I use them for Thanksgiving every year, all 30 place settings, and also for any other family dinners. I have several serving pieces, but the most grand is the Lenox 4 seasons punch bowl, very large, that I use for serving mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. In the photo the large salad bowl is being used for gravy. It is a bit of a challenge to find pieces big enough to serve so many.

Posts: 7078 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Here we are post dinner. I don't know why I love photos of dishes after they are used better than when they are pristine. Yes, that is a soup ladle for the gravy. You can't see it well, but I bought it at a flea market in Paris.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
And then the Lenox dinner plates. Stacked and ready to wash. The small patterned plates are Johnson Brothers "His Majesty". We use those for pie. 30 of those too.

Anyway, those are my good, but very used dishes. My motto is why have dishes if you don't use them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cocok -- I agree with you!!!! Although not everything is used every day . . . but if it breaks, hey, it was broken while it was being used and cherished rather than just sitting in some dark old cabinet!

Love the punch bowl for the potatoes!

Martha

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Finally, it's taken me days to get back here!

This is what I've always considered my "good" china. My husband brought it back for me when he was in Germany for a temp assignment. On the bottom it says "Winterliug, Schwarzenbach, Bavaria, Germany". We used it for every holiday or dinner party. Years later, I became obsessed with dishes, but not necessarily "good" dishes. I really like fun, pretty dishes with holiday or seasonal themes, and I have a whole room devoted to shelves for my dishes. Like Cocok and Linderhof, I switch them out about once a month and use them everyday.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
For some reason I can't post pictures of my dishes.

My everyday patterns are: White Corelle, Mikasa Stone Manor Garden Bouquet or Pfaltzgraff Charlotte

Holidays and Special Occasions: Royal Doulton's Meadow Mist and Mikasa Parchment Red (Christmas).

I also recently purchased a pattern called EPOCH Exclusives (Centerbrook pattern) which I mostly use in the spring and summer for Sunday dinners.

I was raised by a mother and grandmothers who kept the "good china" in a china safe. These dishes were only used at holidays. Why? I'm not sure other than maybe if one was broken it was difficult to find a replacement. Nowadays, it's much easier with websites, e.g., e-bay, replacements.com, etc.

I agree with others. Use them now Smile

I love seeing everyone's dishes. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Y'all have done it! I've got to find some more cabinet space!!!!

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Then my good dished for holidays are Harmony House Wembley. I got it all on ebay a piece at a time.

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Homer Laughlin Currier & Ives. It's great for Thanksgiving. I picked it all up at second hand stores & ebay.
I have 30 of the Wembley plates for crowds, & 24 Currier & Ives plates.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
This is so much fun! Maybe we can ask for a new forum - Tablewares!

I might have to start snooping around on e-Bay for my next set or adding to what's here.

A few months ago I posted an ad in a local ad shopper, looking for a large set of china for our museum society. I took all the calls. It was so interesting to hear the history of the sets, why they were being offered to us and what the sellers valued them at.

One gal thought she might get the original $150. per place setting price for Noritake wedding china she'd received 50 years ago.

We ended up with 20 place settings/100 pieces for $162.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are Georgia Peach's patterns.