Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Cooking with a Tablet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking with a Tablet Sign In/Join 
posted
Most of the latest recipes I've collected are from the Internet and I save them as individual pdf files. When I want to use them, I print them. It seems so wasteful of paper to print them, but I've been unsuccessful trying to cook using my tablet.

I like to check off ingredients and make notes and if I'm making several recipes for one meal, I'll tape them to the cabinet door so I can flip through them as needed to help my nonexistant short term memory and stay on track.

Are any of you using a tablet for recipes when you cook? Any special apps that you like? Any tips or tricks that you can suggest? Thanks.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see recipes I often take a picture of recipe. Have an album of photos devoted to recipes. Also I have many recipes on my Pinterest page- just scroll thru until I find it. Also have Betty Crocker app and have many recipes bookmarked on that site as well. This is all on my iPad- just I prop it up in the kitchen and cook away.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I, too, just prop up my iPad when using an online recipe. I make notes only when using a cookbook.

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I place my MacBook Pro on a counter and use it from there. Or - I do printout recipes.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I haul my laptop to the 'otherside' of the kitchen with my recipes. We still have oodles of cookbooks that I share with family and friends. I'm generous in sending my books out, NOT my laptop. If the recipe is on the laptop, I'll just email them the recipe. We've printed out recipes; however, if liquids get splattered on the page, the ink just runs. Therefore, why waste the paper? I'm sure there have been tablet covers to protect from spills. It would work VERY nicely.

I'm still thinking how wonderful it would be to just link my laptop to a widescreen tv and be able to see the directions so much more easily. No glasses required. Back to thinking about the Smart Home 2014's kitchen.

I remember some comedy skits where the person would try to follow the steps of Julia, pausing the vcr to have time to duplicate what was being done. There are new cooks still doing this, but on a smaller scale - the tablets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will cook/bake from an ipad but only to try out a new recipe. Since I can be sloppy (and don't want to ruin an expensive toy like an ipad) it is kept at the other end of the kitchen from the work area. That makes it a little inconvenient to keep checking amounts.

If we like the recipe it then is written into the recipe book.

No special apps used. Find recipes everywhere, including here. Smile

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mind cooking from my laptop, but I have noticed that my daughter's boyfriend (who loves his notebook) invariably needs to jot things down when he is cooking. He is an engineer and wants things done in precisely the correct order with precisely the correct ingredients and amounts. He also likes to take ideas from different recipes and make his own concoctions--another reason for paper and pencil.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
sms, my hub has been writing his recipes in a book for his grandson. His recipes are excellent. They are very easy to understand. It's my go to book when I'm cooking up one of his recipes. His grandson will be getting quite a book when it is finished. One morning he woke up and smelled the dish in the oven. He said, "Is that what I think it is? How did you know how to make it?" I told him that rather than waking him, I'd just follow his recipe from the book. They are very easy to follow.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Since I don't have an iPad, I'm still using 3-ring binders for my recipes. But I'd probably still use a paper copy even if I had an iPad.

Posts: 6088 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
trish, what a great idea. Let's hope the grandson grows up to be a man who loves to cook!

Posts: 3535 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Terrie Abbas
posted Hide Post
I never cook with tablet, it very uncomfortable for me to cook by looking in tablet. Whenever I find any dish in internet, I prepare its note and understand and keep it in mind. After understanding the overall recipe I like to cook.

Posts: 21 | Location: USA, Ohio Columbus | Registered: Aug 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post