Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Appetizers for Lunch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appetizers for Lunch Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Our lunch today -- two appetizers -- it was perfect!!!

Classic Bruschetta with farmer's market tomatoes

Martha

Posts: 5894 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The second -- toasted baguette, chevre drizzled with honey and sprinkled with thyme, prosciutto, and arugula.

Martha

Posts: 5894 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the perfect luncheon get together for me... I love little bites, and you presented it so pretty!

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
They look wonderful! I love bruschetta and the others look wonderful too!

I also love the Spode (?) platter. I don't have anything that shape.

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- it is Spode -- Blue Italian. It's called a "sandwich" plate and it was one of two breakables I brought home as my Harrod's souvenier when we lived in England that Spring. I really like the shape and find that I use it often (but rarely for tea sandwiches!)

It is NEW and you can still buy them!

Martha

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Very pretty and looks delicious! I too am a fan of those plates and have a small collection I like to use.

Posts: 3265 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I would eat that! Wink

MOF, there's an Italian restaurant in Jefferson Texas - LaManche's - when we are there for lunch, I order the bruschetta. It has artichoke hearts on the bread...perfect light lunch.

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yummy both in ingredients and presentation.

Posts: 18672 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Classic Bruschetta

I've never made these. Is it just grilled french bread slices, tomatoes, basil, etc drizzled with olive oil over the top?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yummy both in ingredients and presentation.

What she said. Big Grin

Posts: 4471 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- I just chop tomatoes, add fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Then I put that on top of toasted baguette slices. I also quarter cherry tomatoes and use those sometimes. To finish, I'll drizzle some more olive oil over the top and often finish with a good sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Martha - do you butter or brush the bread with olive oil before toasting? Or do you just toast in the toaster?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- olive oil and toast it in a skillet or do the olive oil and put it in the oven (400) if I'm doing a lot. It's summer, it's hot and it was just the two of us -- those 8 pieces fit perfectly in my skillet. I sprinkled the ones I served with goat cheese with sea salt and pepper as well (which I often do - the salt and pepper thing).

If you wanted to toast the bread in the toaster you could -- be a little less calories.

BTW, we had it again for lunch yesterday! Yum!

Martha

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Beautiful presentation and looks very yummy. I often eat appetizers for meals. Last night for dinner out I ordered 2 appetizers instead of a main course.

Love your blue and white oblong trays.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12725 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Martha. And I, too, LOVE your plates. As soon as our tomatoes get a-goin, I'm definitely going to try these. Can't bring myself to buy those store tomatoes. Frown