Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  turkey casserole - got a good one to share?? leftover thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

turkey casserole - got a good one to share?? leftover thread Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
We only had a bone in breast portion (turned out lovely!), but I've got quite a bit to use as leftovers. Anyone have a good casserole recipe?

Posts: 3475 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Two things we like to do are turkey tetrazzini and turkey pot pie. Both can be as simple are as "from scratch" as you want. I also like a turkey shepherd's pie -- especially if you have leftover mashed potatoes.

Turkey pot pie:

I like to do it in a regular size pie pan. I use top and bottom crust and you can make your own or use Pillsbury refrigerated. In a bowl mix a cup or a cup and a half of turkey, a bag of vegetables (your choice -- I like to do ones with mushrooms, onions, carrots and then I will add a handful of frozen peas) and a can of cream of chicken soup. Mix all together and pour into pie pan, top with second crust. You can brush with egg wash if you want, do vent holes and then bake at 350 until everything is hot and pie is browned.

TURKEY TETRAZZINI --

It's a spaghetti, mushroom, turkey dish with cheese and a cream sauce and a splash of sherry.

Here is a recipe I found which is a more "from scratch" type.

12 oz spaghetti,
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 4-5 cups)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup cream
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry (or vermouth or dry white wine)
3 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
1 cup peas
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan (divided into 1/3 and 1/3 cups)
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and Pepper
Ground nutmeg (optional)
1/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (or panko)
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Start heating 2 to 3 quarts of water for the pasta. Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each quart of water.

2 Cook the mushrooms in 3 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat, stirring, until all of the liquid the mushrooms give off has evaporated, 5-10 minutes. Set aside.

3 In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Stir in the flour, and cook the mixture over low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.

4 About now, put the pasta into the boiling water you've heated. Follow the package directions and cook until al dente. While the pasta is cooking continue on with the recipe.

5 Into the saucepan with the butter and flour, slowly whisk in the milk, cream, broth, and the sherry. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 to 8 minutes.

6 When the pasta is ready, drain it. In a large bowl combine the pasta, the sauce, the mushrooms, the turkey, and the peas. Stir in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan and the 1/3 cup of Swiss cheese. Stir in the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Note that if you have been using unsalted butter, and/or unsalted or low sodium stock, you will need to add more salt than you might expect. Just keep sprinkling it in until it is seasoned to your taste. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg if using, again to taste. Transfer the mixture to a buttered 3-quart casserole.

7 In a small bowl combine well the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tetrazzini, and dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits.

8 Bake the Tetrazzini in the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is bubbling and the top is golden.

But you can also use canned mushrooms, mushroom or cream of chicken or celery soup (but I would add the splash of sherry) and sort of follow the recipe for putting it together with the pasta and turkey and peas.

SHEPHERD'S PIE:

I would do it the same as for the pot pie only instead of pastry, I would put the mashed potatoes on top. You can add a sprinkling of cheese if you want. Bake at 350 until the top is golden brown and everything is hot.

Martha

Posts: 6344 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Turkey a la King (I think that's what this is) Big Grin

Saute some fresh mushrooms with a bit of minced garlic in butter.
Make a béchamel sauce (aka in Texas as gravy) seasoned with salt and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms and a jar of drained pimento.

Toast some bread - homemade is good.

You can either place a slice of turkey meat on the bread then top with the gravy or add chopped/diced turkey meat to the gravy and spoon over the bread.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, Sherry I forgot about ala king -- that is good!

Martha

Posts: 6344 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Big Grin For shortcut, you can use cream of mushroom soup and canned mushrooms.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Our Tetrazzini is maybe more anticipated than the actual turkey dinner. We had it on Saturday, and I had some for Sunday supper too. I use canned mushrooms, but everything else is scratch. YUM

Today I made "pulled pork" but using about 90% dark meat/10% white meat turkey.. I shredded the turkey, heated it very well in strong chicken stock, until it easily shredded even more. Then I added some of my home made BBQ sauce, left over from ribs a while ago.

Heated thoroughly, served on buns.. DH had a baked potato with his which nicely balanced the heat from the sauce.

just wonderful.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm good ideas here! Thanks!

Tonight I put turkey in a dish with leftover baked potato, microwave veggies, and gravy. In the oven to heat and it was a quick turkey stew.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
JC -- sounds good!

Martha

posted Hide Post
We don't drink milk, so I never have any on hand to make a casserole sauce or base.

I pulled a lot of meat off that bird. Will make a tortilla soup next!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
There's always dry milk -- great to have on hand if you don't drink milk but need milk to cook with.

Martha