Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Another TV commercial to love . . .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another TV commercial to love . . . Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
On another thread that I didn't want to keep active by adding this post, several of us had mentioned commercials that we liked. My "like" was the little girl who piled Cheerios on her napping daddy's chest because her mom had just confirmed that Cheerios were good for the heart.

Well I now have another favorite commercial and it's the one where the camel comes trouncing into the office where everyone is busy working and loudly announces like "GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS" because it's Wed., which is aka "hump day." Even the comedians are repeating that clever commercial. Makes me laugh every time I hear it. I'm sure it's going to be around for a while just like "Where's the beef" and Let Mikey do it." Darn, there's another one that is gnawing at my memory but completely escaping it--I think it may have had something to do with "sitting on it." It'll probably come to me in a couple of hours, or more likely in the middle of the night when I get up for a potty break! LOL

Posts: 6035 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Hump day was amusing the first couple of times I saw it. Now, it just plain takes the fun out of saying that its hump day. Call me the spoil sport. And I like that Cheerios commercial, too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6695 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
We love the comercial where the wolf family asks the "mom" what are you serving with dinner?

She says " Chicken and Potatoes" and all the wolves start howling "potatoooooooeeeees!!"

We have an 11 year old wolf fanatic here and she is just crazy about that comercial.

I like it too. the only problem, and it's a HUGE problem is I have no idea what the product they are advertising is.

Over and over DH and I have commented about the tendency of madison ave to make great little stories but to be so busy being cute that they neglect to make the product name STICK. For instance.. It took many watchings before I could remember who makes the "hump-day" comercial..anyone?

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
OMG Kathy, you are so right. I have no idea whose commercial that is. And I've never ever seen the wolf commercial howling about potatoes. Maybe I should stop fast-forwarding through all my DVR programs! LOL

I still can't think of that commercial that I thought had something to do with sitting on it, but it did occur to me that it might have first come to light on Happy Days and that Fonzie was the one who may have said it. Heck, I'm not even sure it had to do with "sitting."

Maybe it was some other phrase that Fonzie started during that show?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6035 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Commercials have gotten so good in the past few years! I, too, like the camel ad. Geico does great commercials. And I like the AFLAC duck in physical therapy as well. Those are about the only ones, however, where I actually know what product they are touting. I have to wonder about the efficacy of advertising that amuses without making the viewer aware of the product!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Who cares what the product is these commercials are touting! (They for are Geico Insurance.) I like the hump day one, it's a great laugh! Good acting.

Posts: 2798 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
It's the guy's voice! It's perfect for that spot. don't think it would be as funny if someone else had done it.

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I love this one and how she rolls her eyes at the end.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7q6X/kr...t-your-chef-together

Posts: 991 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I cannot get enough of the Geico camel; it's a great little spoof of the office place. Funnier than The Office. Smile

Posts: 5323 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I like the little girl pouring Cheerios on her dad's chest to help with his heart. Can't believe the controversy about it and am glad General Mills kept it on air.

AFLAC commercials are cute.
I like the Geico gecko commercials.
I do not like Flo insurance commercials.

I do not like commercials or television shows that portray parents/adults as doofuses...or if it's plural is it doofusi?

I like the Got Meat commercials with Sam Elliot's voice...be still my heart I need some Cheerios! It's been awhile, but James Garner used to have some voice over commercials. Sigh...

The VW commercial with the little boy dressed up as Darth Vadar - it is a few years old now.

The Audi commercial where Leonard Nimoy - original Mr. Spock - was driving his Mercedez to meet Zachary Quinto - new Mr. Spock - driving his Audi at the country club to play golf together...cute!

Posts: 17206 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one too:

"I don't clean, I make 'doit'"

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7tlJ/sw...wet-jet-like-dancing

Posts: 991 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the insurance ad with the poor dog so worried about his bone that he puts it in a safety deposit box. I especially enjoyed the part where he's on the bus and has to hide his face when he sees another dog on the sidewalk.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I also love the Audi commercial with the old Spock and the young Spock.

I still love those Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man" ones too. They are just too funny.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7494 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best most interesting man ads are "He once ran a marathon because it was on the way" and "He once parallel parked an airplane." I love them, too.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
KYIS - oh we'd fight over James Garner, dear!
What about James Caan & Richard Gere?

Any of the beef commercials are catching!

I wish Flo would die, SOON! What's to like about those?

Posts: 2798 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the hump day one, but do love the Dos Equs but don't remember the two posted here!

My current favorite is the Jello one with the father and son where the kid gets bald, drives in traffic and has his year long project destroyed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0

Best ever though is probably the kid dressed up as Darth Vadar and the car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12849 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a funny Old Spice commercial that I like.
The Budweiser Clydesdale commercials - ALL OF THEM. (Remember the winter sled ride? Young man, pretty girl holding the candle, guy ducks down to get something, horse raises tail and farts, candle flames out in girl's face. So unexpected!)

Lurah, We could share James Garner, honey! Big Grin

Posts: 17206 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Current commercial playing that I just love... the iPad vs. Windows Tablet with Siri...

I could use a little help here.
This isn't going to end well for me, is it.
No, definitely not.
Do you still think I'm pretty?
And, I forgot to add, when a person sends an email from an iPhone, there is a message that says, "Sent from my iPhone". If sent from an iPad, it says, "Sent from my iPad".

It's not-to-subtle advertising in a Sig Line.

Found it on my iPhone, and enhanced it to read:

"Sent from my iPhone because me and Siri are both pretty."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Posts: 4555 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I like the commercial with the baby advertising Nationwide Insurance (? I think it's Nationwide) and the E-trade commercials with the baby.

....and the commercial with the camel!

Posts: 2268 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
1st time I'd seen - a boxer/brief commercial touting how these guys get out of bed in the morning so much more engergized and as the day goes on all the great things...like not having to rearrage all the nuts & bolts....a great play on words!

posted Hide Post
The wolves are for Birdseye (?) steam fresh vegetables. The camel of course is Geico

Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I like the Geico commercial with the camel and his fantastic voice.

Flo's hair and makeup intrigues me. Why do they style her hair in such a dorky way. As a character she's not ditsy. She's efficient and positive most of the time. The hair and makeup keep her at a distance so that Progressive is the main star. My favorite of those commercials was one in which they did a brief close up of Flo's face. Then she dumped liquid on a robot. A hah, that was the longest close up ever for Flo. I think that she is probably very pretty when not in costume.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 805 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things I would like to see in a commercial:

Donald Trump blow drying his hair.

Hoss Cartwright wearing Spanx.

posted Hide Post
Leafly, the actress who plays Flo is very beautiful. I googled her a long time ago. I believe the reason her hair and makeup are styled that way is that she is supposed to be a comic book character.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Remember the insurance ad with the poor dog so worried about his bone that he puts it in a safety deposit box. I especially enjoyed the part where he's on the bus and has to hide his face when he sees another dog on the sidewalk.

LOL thanks to those commercials I now know who Ray Lamontagne is and listen to him on Pandora!

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leafly, the actress who plays Flo is very beautiful. I googled her a long time ago. I believe the reason her hair and makeup are styled that way is that she is supposed to be a comic book character.

Indeed. Plus her natural hair color is medium brown. She is also an alumnus of my college, so I have a soft spot in my heart for Flo. Smile

ETA: She played Marge the receptionist on Mad Men for several episodes. Didn't recognize her; they gave her really creepy cat eye glasses and a horrible wig.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5323 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Achihuahua,

I've got to look for Mad Men on Netflix. I'll bet that actress has a good future waiting.

posted Hide Post
aychi, maybe that should give us all hope--that with the right makeup we can all be beautiful--or could have been back in OUR day. But, you know, the older I get, the more I think all you have to do to be beautiful is to be young. Shades of my grandmother!!!! And when I look back on photos of myself from 40 years ago I have to wonder why I all I saw in the mirror were imaginary flaws. Why are we women so hard on ourselves?????

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I also like the Swiffer commercial with the elderly couple.

"Morty are you listening?"

They are the cutest couple Smile

Posts: 2268 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morty ought to be horse whipped telling her to be careful climbing up to clean the ceiling fan! Why doesn't he do it himself!!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
If I've got the time to sit, I like the lo oo ng commercials in which the audience is persuaded to buy CD's of The Dean Martin Show. I love to see the old stars that I watched as a child.

I can get couch "potatoed" by music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, Motown, etc. in a similar type commercial. I've even sat there to watch the presentation on country music stars but I'm not a country music fan.

I'll sit there and listen to the individual clips of each artist and remember.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Morty ought to be horse whipped telling her to be careful climbing up to clean the ceiling fan! Why doesn't he do it himself!!!! Smile

Bless her heart she's trying to clean and he's just laying in his recliner. You just want to whop him!! Smile Smile

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Well for Flo's sake, let's hope she's done soon and still has the chance to do something else instead of wasting a great career to have been typecast as the Progressive Flo!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
1st time I'd seen - a boxer/brief commercial touting how these guys get out of bed in the morning so much more engergized and as the day goes on all the great things...like not having to rearrage all the nuts & bolts....a great play on words!

Watch it from this link if you like -
http://www.bing.com/videos/sea...F7C1737F9F2F09A87E75

posted Hide Post
My 2 cents. I too, loved the VW and little Darth Vader commercial.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6319 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen many of the commercials mentioned, partly because I don't watch much TV. While I live in Canada I do get a lot of US channels but usually mute the TV and use breaks to do other things. I find many commercials actually turn me off the product.

These are some Canadian commercials that catch my eye and I do watch them even tho I can't even get Shaw TV where I live.

Here are some youtube videos:

Some background - Bit is born: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYPJIVlazg

The latest one I've seen is Shaw Go WiFi – Scare Tactics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f1OTqM6st8

This one is kinda cute - Nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOGzd-0PvKY

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Flo. Bad Hair. Bad Glasses. Bad Costumes.

Poor Flo. Steady work. Major big paychecks and residuals every time they re-run one of her commercials.

I love her.

Posts: 1425 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old commercial that I loved was from Staples at Christmastime. The gifts were just wrapped and by the shape you knew what it was---a chainsaw and a dog were two I remembered. May have been an early version of their easy theme.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6319 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the Staples Christmas commercial with the boy robot who said "Weeping, weeping" because the girl robot had eyes for some other electronic gadget.

I've recently fallen in love with the Nationwide commercial with the giant baby as the guy's car. "Love Is Strange"

posted Hide Post
Snicker - We were watching television last night...DH had the remote and he always mutes commercials. I read or like last night I handle the laundry during commercials. We were sitting there with the commercial on mute and me reading when DH says, "I hate this commercial."

It's the little girl digging in her grandmother's purse and throwing her money one bill at a time in the fountain. Grandmother realizes what's going on, grandmother and grandfather stand up and look at the money floating in the fountain. DH says, "When she looks up at grandmother with that satisfied look on her face she reminds me of (a niece) in her twit stage."

LOL But what's funnier to me is DH will ask "Why are they doing that?" I tell him it's because that's what the director told them to do. Big Grin I'm helpful like that. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Did you catch the Joe's Boxer commercial that folks are supposed to be in an uproar about?

I saw it briefly. A row of men in colorful boxers do a jingle bell wiggle in which bells ring as they wiggle their hips. It's like the bell ringers in church. Each one got a solo. Ht Hmm! (wink) The man close to the middle wears golden boxers if I remember correctly.

We laughed. It was comical but I don't respect the company any more. Not buying any boxers from them. If I had paid for tickets to a show with a comedienne to be comical that might be okay. I like clean comediennes though. It's not okay in a commercial. Nope nada, no. I'm not real upset. Not upset at all but .... I'll keep my money and buy other boxers for my men.

I remember the days when femi nine products were not advertised. I saw the first one when my sweet polite great uncle was visiting us. I watched his reaction while I tried to slip out of the room wanting to be invisible. People just didn't talk about those things in mixed company. Oh Well, It's all out of the bottle now and it can't be funneled back to where it once was and here I am talking about it. What would momma say?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
I saw the Joe Boxer commercial and have no idea what the uproar is about. The first headline I read insinuated that they were shaking their "package." So my mind thought they were grabbing their ding-a-ling and ding-a-linging it.

They were wiggling their hips side-to-side (pretty much) and not doing the bump and grind. I've seen more embarrassing commercials with scantily clad women showing almost all of the t's and a's...cleavages down to their navels.

And let us not forget commercials for women's sanitary products and men's erectile dysfunction medication.

The Joe Boxer commercial was silly...but not vulgar. IMHO

posted Hide Post
Keep Your Stitches,

So True and I'm LOL,

Someone has to be the d e v I l ' s advocate though. We don't have good taste in America. It was in bad taste. I like comedy a lot but not at a price that hurts our mores and norms.

Kids copy that stuff in school. I know of a similar situation. They were stopped after the whole class burst out in hilarity. Thankfully they were not sanctioned in any way. They were good kids.

posted Hide Post
I agree. When did sanitary products start being advertised on TV? Mid 1970s? Then they left "Mom's" dress and gloves at home and put her in short shorts and tight fitting tank tops in a bar with a beer in her hand or draped over a car showing above mentioned navel.

I'm old enough to barely remember the "I dreamed I walked ------ in my Maidenform bra."

That was probably when the door was thrown wide open.

I heard somewhere where Victoria Secret commercials were "tasteful." eyeroll

posted Hide Post
The downhill slide started as far back as the 50's when they started advertising Preparation H on TV. I remember my mother complaining that the ads were shown around the dinner hour. Maybe that's why we turned the TV off at mealtime!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've seen the boxer commercial only once, and then only part of it and it was muted. So, no opinion on it until I can see it again for real. I detest Victoria's Secret commercials. There's no reason for a lot of the commercials that are out there but the old saying "sex sells" is the driving force and selling means money.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6695 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

and men's erectile dysfunction medication.

And why they always end up in separate bath tubs holding hands out in the wilderness is beyond me!

posted Hide Post
Ssssshhhhh! If an advertiser reads this and sees we expect them in the same tub, they'll stick 'em in the same tub!

posted Hide Post
My daughter's boyfriend dissected one of those erectile disfunction ads the last time they were here. It's the one where the truck stalls on muddy road and the guy takes his horses out of the trailer to haul the truck out of the mud. So the truck is the disfunctional part of the anatomy and the horses are the the v*iagra (or whatever). Maybe we could have some fun analyzing these commercials.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Origi There's no reason for a lot of the commercials that are out there but the old saying "sex sells" is the driving force and selling means money.

Florida Farm Girl,

I'm not old as dirt but I do remember some of the first commercials that used sex. I think that a food commercial was the first one that I saw taking that turn. I laughed and laughed. I thought that was the funniest thing. ....Now I want it to go back down the road in the opposite direction.