Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  chocolate cake - finally got to bake one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

chocolate cake - finally got to bake one... Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
I finally had a day to bake a cake using the mayo recipe supplied here on the boards (thanks to all!). I used my nordicware mini bundt pan and the batter made six little cakes (the full pan) and the cake is delicious - especially with strawberries and choc sauce!

The pan makes six cakes using three different patterns with many ridges, so a lot of crust surface resulting in a drier cake. How would you tweak for a more moist product? I love the pan as it makes small cakes I can freeze. Do I reduce the baking time or just find a yummy syrup to soak it before serving?

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I'd reduce baking time significantly from the large cake size. Think box cake mix and the variation of baking times listed on back for different size pans, layers, cupcakes or 9X13, etc.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I definitely would reduce the time. I often make tea breads in the small pans (four small pans equal one big one) and most tea breads bake in an hour -- the small guys usually half as much. I just start watching after half time. They're done when they pull away from the pan and something stuck in the middle (I always use a knife) comes out clean.

Glad you like the cake! And yes, I often bake in smaller pans as well -- for the same reason!

Martha

Posts: 6204 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought. The baking time is only 30 minutes, but the recipe is for a small cake so I didn't want to alter the first attempt. My flour was heavy too which may have been a factor.

This little pan is fantastic for banana bread. Gives you all of that extra surface for a sweet slightly crisper exterior. But banana bread is so moist to start with. And I've only used it for banana bread.

I did buy a scale, so going forward I can weigh my baking ingredients.

Thanks!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Chocolate mayo cakes are typically moist so do reduce the baking time for your mini cakes. I like to refrigerate my leftover cake due to the mayo and find the flavor is enriched the second day and super moist and dense. BTW, I have used the batter in bite sized seashell Nordic pans and baked about 20 mins. I dust the cooled cakes with powdered sugar to high light the details of the shells.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh wow Froo, that sounds good! I have another Nordic with small hearts so maybe I'll try that next time. Keeping portions small and not having huge cakes sitting around to nibble at is a good thing! Even the mini bundts are a bit big.

I'm hoping our weather cools off here soon. It's just been too hot for the oven to be on, and I've got the most fantastic pumpkin cake recipe for fall.

posted Hide Post
Okay, y'all. I was so intrigued by the thought of a mayonaise cake that I had to try it. It's in the oven right now. This better be good! Smile

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL! I served mine with a little choc sauce on the plate, powdered sugar, and strawberries. Yummmmmmmmm!

posted Hide Post
I was too lazy to go to the store for any of that, so a little powdered sugar and a big glass of milk was all I had. And, yes, it is delicious.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Wait till you taste it on day two! The flavor and moistness is intensified.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post