Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Flour brands you use or prefer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flour brands you use or prefer Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lurah
posted
Made bread yesterday and just about used up the bag of King Arthur White Wheat flour. I must have found this by chance awhile ago. Haven't seen it since. Perhaps I bought it out of town at a gourmet grocery.

Anyway I like King Arthur brand flours and use them exclusively for the past 20 years or so.
All baking done with them is so consistent.
If I used 5 1/2 cups of flour 10 years ago in Gma's roll dough, I still use 5 1/2 cups of flour today when it's a total different weather or season.

Our 2 chain local grocery store offer these King Arthur brand varieties - Unbleached white flour, whole wheat & bread flour. Do you have others available at your store?

What brand do you prefer or have offered at the store?
Here we find Medal Gold, Pillsbury & KA.

Different varieties? I know in the South Lily White is popular.

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I use Gold Medal here in the Pacific Northwest. When I lived on the East coast I used King Arther. I always use unbleached flour.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Gold Medal and Pillsbury. King Arthur is just now hitting the shelves here. I really like KA but will buy any of the other two when they are on sale.

Posts: 17048 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I use King Arthur unbleached for most baking but a soft wheat flour (southern wheat) like White Lilly for biscuits. Sometimes I'll buy the self rising version.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3510 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'm a Gold Medal girl. DD has degrees in grain milling science and bakery science and she says that it is the best! I buy the unbleached as well. For bread I always use bread flour and I also keep a jar of self-rising. A good biscuit recipe is butter, self-rising flour and milk. Makes a good and easy biscuit!

Martha

Posts: 5902 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Martha the best biscuit uses soft wheat flour (self rising is good or add baking powder and baking soda), shortening (although lard is really good for a flaky biscuit) and buttermilk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3510 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- I know you Southerner's have perfected the biscuit! I guess you could call mine a "Northern" one!!! Or a prairie one!!! LOL!!!

Martha

Posts: 5902 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linder, no self-respecting Cajun would keep self-rising flour in the pantry. We might accidentally try to make a roux with it!!!! Smile

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
sms29s66 -- oh, but the English do. Most of their delicious tea treats are made with self-raising (as they call it)!

Martha

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL Self-rising flour. DM never used it. I never bought any either. We regularly dined at a great seafood restaurant at Surfside Texas...Red Snapper Inn. I liked their oysters or shrimp brochette or shrimp a' la Greque. DH almost always ordered their red snapper a' la Greque. They posted their recipe for the a'la Greque sauce in the symphony league cookbook! Of course it made a gallon...so had to use a bit of math. But I could not get my fish right. I mentioned it to the owner. He whispered, "Self-rising flour." Big Grin Worked for me!

Now we are in northeast Texas...catfish...but no good seafood to be had here.

Posts: 17048 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We mostly buy Gold Medal unbleached flour (when it is on sale). I bake bread with it. DH, the "Queen" grocery shopper on this family, has bought store brands due to sales in the past, but I was not happy with them for bread baking, so we are back to the name brands. We do have King Arthur here and I can attest to it's quality, but it's a matter of unit price and coupons when we shop.

Posts: 18676 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Gold Medal for all purpose and White Lily self-rising. I grew up with everything made from self-rising flour. Roux for gravy included. I don't make much bread but I'd use bread flour or some other specialty flour if I did.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use King Arthur, Pillsbury and Gold Medal. I have found that the recipes that my mother used Gold Medal in, need to be altered now. When we used to rent a condo at Hilton Head I know that the White Lily that I used there is slightly different than the same brand up at home.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Gold Medal unbleached - or GM bread flour - and I have a bag of King Arthur, whole wheat, which I just purchased.

Seaborne

Posts: 1121 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post