Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Do you have a salad recipe like this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a salad recipe like this? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I saw this picture and thought one of you MUST have a recipe for this kind of salad. I can't see everything that's in it very clearly, but my guess is: tomatoes, red onion, looks like strawberries, garbanzo beans.,, Does anyone make something like this and could share?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
It's so small I don't see strawberries. The first thing I think is "3-Bean Salad" updated.

Posts: 16493 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
This looks like a salad I make all the time. I don't follow a recipe, but it's pretty simple to prepare and very forgiving. What you think are strawberries are probably chopped red bell pepper.

In a large salad bowl, add:
1 can chickpeas(garbanzos) drained and rinsed
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1 large stalk celery, chopped
1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
1/3 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
chopped fresh basil
chopped Italian leaf parsley

Vinaigrette: olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1 small clove garlic crushed, dijon mustard, dried or fresh chopped oregano, salt and pepper

Mix vinaigrette and pour over vegetables. Cover and let chill for several hours for flavors to develop. Let come to temperature on counter serving.

Options: add chopped cooked roasted chicken or canned tuna, cooked shrimp or crumbled feta cheese.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
If it's a bean salad you're looking for, I made one yesterday that's called Mississippi Caviar.

1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can black eye peas
1 diced med. gr. bell pepper
1 diced med. onion ( I used 3 diced green scallions)
3 tablesoons minced cloves of garlic
2 seeded and chopped tomato
1 jalepeno pepper diced (or to your taste)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 7oz packet of dry Italian dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 vinegar (I used apple cider but red wine would work too.I wouldn't use basalmic)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Mix it all together and let marinate for an hr. Overnite is best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jo-CT,

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
You can substitute any vegetable or combination of vegetables for the canned vegetables in the bean salad!

Posts: 16493 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
The recipe that goes with the picture is a chickpea salad posted here. Seems similar to what aychihuahua posted except olives (I think?) instead of cucumber and some spinach.

Martha

Posts: 6992 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bozie:
The recipe that goes with the picture is a chickpea salad posted here. Seems similar to what aychihuahua posted except olives (I think?) instead of cucumber and some spinach.

Yep, it is virtually the same. Chickpea salad, which I have been making for many years, is very versatile and can accommodate a lot of fresh vegetables. The next time I make it I think I will add some nice kalamata olives and also some chopped spinach for variety.

PS I like Goya brand chickpeas the best.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My guess for those black things in the bowl is black beans.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
OMG bozie and aychi, you guys are the best!

I saw this pictured for a cooking class in Milford, MI on a recent LivingSocial offer.

http://www.milfordspice.com/ST...0-830-pm-_p_756.html

achi: could you give me some approximation for the dressing?

p.s. Had to laugh at myself for thinking those red things with green at the top were strawberries. You guys probably had a good laugh, too! Smile

So glad you posted the recipe, cuz I would have had to find an interpreter otherwise. Smile Thank you both again. It looks so yummy!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Nance, I never measure ingredients, but I understand that a ratio of 3:1 oil to vinegar is supposed to be the magic formula for vinaigrette. I would experiment to see what tastes best to you.

If you like extra tang, add fresh-squeezed lemon to the oil and vinegar.

You cannot go wrong with Ina Garten's basic vinaigrette recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...ad-recipe/index.html

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Acychi. I'm trying to like vinaigrettes a little more since they are healthier. Thanks for Ina's recipe link and for your tips.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vinaigrette: olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1 small clove garlic crushed, dijon mustard, dried or fresh chopped oregano, salt and pepper

I planted some oregano in a pot last week so I can use more fresh herbs. I really don't cook with the fresh that much. How much would you use for this salad? In there a general rule for how much fresh to use in recipes?

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That looks yummy! I love garbanzo so I'll have to try these variations for dinners.

For fresh herbs, the best way is to do it to personal taste. Start sparingly and adjust. Oregano can be strong, so a little goes a long way.

Posts: 2966 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post