Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Tuna noodle casserole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuna noodle casserole Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I am definitely not a fan of this usually but there is one recipe I can eat. This is from a cookbook put out by a group I once belonged to.

3 oz can Chinese noodles
can of mushroom soup
1/2 C water
2 Cup chopped celery
1/2 C chopped onion
4 oz cashews
1 can tuna fish (since this is an old recipe when can sizes were larger, I used two 5 oz cans)

Mix all together but reserve some noodles for th top. Bake at 350º for 40 minutes.

This makes approx 6 servings.

Posts: 13029 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
LOS,

Oh no! No hot tuna in this house please! No tuna melts either. Too funny that my mom & I just had this conversation.

But enjoy your dish!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9507 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
No tuna melts either

Isn't it the truth? I practically gag when DH orders this out. That's why I posted the recipe. . . it is the only way I have ever been able to eat tuna hot!

Posts: 13029 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
LOS,

Oh no! No hot tuna in this house please! No tuna melts either. Too funny that my mom & I just had this conversation.

But enjoy your dish!

Oh too funny - we had tuna melts for lunch!!!

But I make my tuna cassarole from scratch - no condensed soup in this house!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3454 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL
DH is not fond of tuna any sort or fashion. Every day of his school life he got a tuna sandwich. His DM mixed a can of tuna with pickle relish. That's it. She put Miracle Whip on the bread and then the tuna "salad." EVERY DAY!

My DGF did not like tuna at all. My aunt made a tuna casserole - I think: noodles, tuna, cream of mushroom, English peas, cheese. He got seconds. No one ever told him that it was tuna.

Posts: 17325 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
LOL
DH is not fond of tuna any sort or fashion. Every day of his school life he got a tuna sandwich. His DM mixed a can of tuna with pickle relish. That's it. She put Miracle Whip on the bread and then the tuna "salad." EVERY DAY!

The food in the college caf was not great and for lunch I ate either a ham sandwich or tuna salad EVERY DAY. I went home for the weekend after a month or so of this, and yep, sure enough, Mom served tuna salad. I think I cried!

Posts: 3454 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We LOVE tuna-noodle casserole tho my recipe is a bit different than the one posted. It is considered comfort food in this house. Smile Tuna sandwiches are no stranger here too tho I do limit it due to mercury.

Posts: 18757 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
I think I cried!

I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything. I snorted. LOL

Posts: 17325 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
That's a recipe I grew up with at home.
I use a 12 ounce can of white albacore tuna (in water.)

Chopstick Tuna

Better Homes & Gardens Meats Cookbook c. 1965

Casserole:
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup milk
2 cups chow-mein noodles, divided use
1 can tuna, drained
1 cup sliced celery
½ cup salted, toasted cashews
¼ cup chopped sweet yellow onion

Garnishes:
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
Parsley – fresh finely minced or in florets for garnish
Flaked coconut, toasted for optional garnish

Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 10 X 6 inch Pyrex baking dish, set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup with milk until smooth.
Add 1 cup chow-mein noodles, tuna, celery, cashews, onion; toss lightly.
Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle remaining 1 cup chow-mein noodles over top.
Bake for 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbling hot.
Garnish with mandarin oranges sections, parsley and toasted coconut, if desired.

Note: To double recipe, bake in 11 X 7” baking dish for 25 minutes or until hot.

For an elegant touch when serving to ladies at a luncheon, spoon hot casserole mixture onto 6 baking shells, garnish each with 5 mandarin orange segments, sprinkle with parsley & toasted coconut if desired.

Posts: 2830 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lurah, that sounds unique and I just may try it. DH doesn't generally like it when I tweak a family favorite, but I may try to persuade him to give this a try if I promise to go make the family favorite from time to time. Wink thanks for sharing.

Posts: 18757 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
This is my tuna casserole recipe although I've not made it in "forever"!

BARBARA'S TUNA CASSEROLE

1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. grated Chedar
1/4 c. minced onion
1 t. garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic minced)
1 package noodles, cooked and drained
1 to 2 cans drained tuna
1 small box Velveta
1/4 t. oregano
1 t. celery seed
1 small box frozen green peas
chopped pimento

Toasted almonds in oven until lightly browned. Set aside. Cook noodles, drain and rains and set aside.

Make a fairly thin white sauce with butter, flour and milk. (Equal amounts of butter and flour, then milk to thin to sauce). Add cheeses. Blend and add a little milk at a time if too thick. Add oregano, onion, celery seeds, garlic, almonds and peas. Blend well (add more milk if too thick).

Mix sauce together with drained noodles and tuna. Add pimento.

Mix well and pour into casserole and bake about 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.

Can be frozen before baking.

Martha

Posts: 6292 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
That's a recipe I grew up with at home.
I use a 12 ounce can of white albacore tuna (in water.)

Chopstick Tuna

Better Homes & Gardens Meats Cookbook c. 1965

Casserole:
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup milk
2 cups chow-mein noodles, divided use
1 can tuna, drained
1 cup sliced celery
½ cup salted, toasted cashews
¼ cup chopped sweet yellow onion

Garnishes:
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
Parsley – fresh finely minced or in florets for garnish
Flaked coconut, toasted for optional garnish

Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 10 X 6 inch Pyrex baking dish, set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup with milk until smooth.
Add 1 cup chow-mein noodles, tuna, celery, cashews, onion; toss lightly.
Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle remaining 1 cup chow-mein noodles over top.
Bake for 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbling hot.
Garnish with mandarin oranges sections, parsley and toasted coconut, if desired.

Note: To double recipe, bake in 11 X 7” baking dish for 25 minutes or until hot.

For an elegant touch when serving to ladies at a luncheon, spoon hot casserole mixture onto 6 baking shells, garnish each with 5 mandarin orange segments, sprinkle with parsley & toasted coconut if desired.

I really liked your recipe Lurah. Thanks for sharing.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post