Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August Dinner Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's August -- share with us what you fix for dinner! I so enjoy reading he posts (and drooling over those of you who live near the ocean and eat fresh seafood ALL the time!)

Martha

Posts: 6071 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Roast chicken - along with potatoes, carrots, onions, tomato, and fresh zucchini - the first from our garden. And farmer's market fresh green beans as a side. We do not ever eat bread with our dinner meal - and dessert is often fresh fruit or a cookie later on in the evening.

Seaborne

Posts: 1194 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
DH was hungry for fresh fruit so tonight it's fruit plates, banana bread, egg salad sandwiches and more fresh corn on the cob!
Waiting for the good peaches to arrive in the area. It's such a bummer not to live in orchard country!

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
(and drooling over those of you who live near the ocean and eat fresh seafood ALL the time!)

Our local grocery store will have FAS cod tomorrow for 3.99 a lb. We ate lunch out so no dinner, except for dessert LOL. DH says he is sea fooded out for a while but I will get that cod and make a chowder. Oh we stopped at Trader Joes and got a spinach lasagna for him and an eggplant parm for me (tomorrow's dinner) he is such a fussy eater that I am finding it easier to just do this. Anyway I wanted some of their delish grain packages. And he wanted pot boilers.

Posts: 12796 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken breast sandwich and cantaloupe.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 11 yr old made me a hamburger first time cooking them. and it was good for being a frozen burger. cause it was made with love.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
It's August -- share with us what you fix for dinner! I so enjoy reading he posts (and drooling over those of you who live near the ocean and eat fresh seafood ALL the time!)

Martha

I just read your post and realized I've not cooked and local seafood in over a month. Time to remedy that. Off to the seafood market. I wish I had time to drive down to Georgetown for shrimp, but the market will do.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3564 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We've been eating out as we did tonight before a meeting but I did fix a good lunch -- a salad of mixed baby greens and vinaigrette and pasta with fresh cherry tomatoes, garden basil, Parm cheese, garlic and olive oil. It's probably my second favorite summer meal (BLT is the first!)

Martha

Posts: 6071 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
We grilled a Rock Cornish Hen, and a baked potato. Also put together a broccoli salad of cranberries, sunflower seeds, carrot and a creamy dressing.

Posts: 989 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Pot roast!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6679 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Grilled lamb chops, corn, baby Yukon gold potatoes, Bibb lettuce salad.

Seaborne

Posts: 1194 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Pffttttt....Nothing to brag about at my house.

DH had the last of some hamburger and rice and he ate something else he found in the refrigerator but I have already forgotten...

I made tuna salad (he does not like tuna salad) and served it on a bed of mixed salad greens. Pretty good light supper.

However, Thursday is my birthday and I'll be eating Chinese! Big Grin

Posts: 17186 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
It's too darned hot to do much cooking, especially in the oven. So, lately we have relied on stuff we can serve cold or cooked in the microwave.

For instance, I made fish tacos the other day. I micro-cooked fresh mahimahi (takes a minute or so for perfect succulent results) and made my own cabbage slaw. Already had a ripe avocado and flour tortillas.

Last night, we had a big Greek salad with mixed greens, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, fresh cukes and tomatoes drizzled with homemade lemon-oregano vinaigrette. I added shredded rotisserie chicken breasts and a few croutons.

Oh, and lots of chilled white wine. A must for any summer meal.

Posts: 5314 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also put together a broccoli salad of cranberries, sunflower seeds, carrot and a creamy dressing.

This is becoming one of my favorite salads. Yesterday had lunch out and got the 1/2 sand/cup soup deal a/c soup was lobster bisque. Better described as lobster flavored bisque (a small piece on bottom of bowl) and the turkey sandwich good but a lump of turkey rather than a slice. The salads my companions were having (Cobb, Caesar and pear/arugula/spinach) looked much yummier and will be my choice next time!

Oh we had chicken nuggets for supper, not bad although I thought I would never eat them! But we also had slices of a wonderful blueberry/lemon bread from a great bakery here.

Posts: 12796 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of salads, grilled flank steak and asparagus with blue cheese dressing over a mixed green salad. Grilled shrimp over salad. Fresh sweet corn with both. I am getting tired of salads but it is too hot to cook lots of warm dishes.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I bought grouper and shrimp at the local seafood market and marinated in a ginger mango dressing (still had not been to grocery so I was out of fresh lemons and garlic for my usual marinade.) To the shrimp I added thinly sliced onion and sweet red pepper, cooked it all on the grill (used a grill pan for the shrimp, onion and pepper combo.) served with oven friend potatoes and cole slaw. Very yummy.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3564 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Today I stopped in at my favorite for lunch. All this talk about chicken salad made me realize I really needed a Kudzu fix. Wink

Browsing the freezer I noticed they had a new selection of prepared pastas - a variety of Raviolis from a Charleston restaurant. I chose the crab and corn ravioli for dinner. I prepared a Morney sauce for the ravioli after I prepared it and sautéed fresh spinach in olive oil and garlic. Topped off with sliced tomatoes and garlic parmesan toast.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
We went for Mexican food tonight. I was told to eat a good dinner after giving blood and nearly passing out on them. Frown

They got my feet up...told me to wiggle my feet to pump blood to my head. Gave me a cold drink...water no booze. Wink It was at the Sheriff's office after all. Ice packed my chest and the back of my neck.

Posts: 17186 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, Sherry -- of course, you NEEDED a good dinner!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- I REFUSE to read any more of your dinner posts -- shrimp and grouper indeed!!!! LOL!!! I drool!

Both meals sound super!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I cooked tonight -- a pork tenderloin with a mustard, garlic, herb marinade and roasted; sliced tomatoes and corn and basil cakes which were superb. I think that they would be great as a vegetarian entree with a salad --

Martha

posted Hide Post
Broiled teriyaki pork chops with cheesy tomato halves, pasta and bread severed on the side. Yummy

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, you guys are making me hungry!!

I found a store here (near Asheville) that has fresh halibut!!!! Didn't get any when there cause I had other things underway already. But I'll be back. Halibut is my favorite fish. They also had fresh, wild salmon. May have to get a bit of that for DH.

Posts: 6679 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Had creamy caper sauced chicken breasts on rice pilaf with broccoli au beurre limon & fresh raspberry almond shortcakes.

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FFG, Enjoy that halibut - it's one of my favorites as well EXCEPT it's $18.99/lb right now here. Eek

posted Hide Post
I actually cooked last night! Surprise! Wink Son came over to visit...check out my new laptop...wash a couple of loads of clothes...and eat. LOL

Hamburger steak smothered with onions
Butter beans - OH MY they were delicious!!!
Acorn squash with butter and brown sugar

Of course, my serving was 1/4 pound of ground beef...is that considered a "steak"??!!
Their acorn squash had a "healthy" dollop of butter and brown sugar...mine had a dab. Still...I could not eat it all. I did eat all the meat but left vegetables. Since starting the diet, it doesn't take as much to fill me up. Smile

posted Hide Post
We stopped over at a local restaurant called The Local Joint. I thought it referred to being a neighborhood place because it was in the complex with a gas station and convenience store. WRONG! It's called a Local Joint because is uses all local products! And the food was to die for! Simple but, oh, so good. Had cajun fried chicken breast with a jalapeno glaze, brussel sprout confetti, and a crunchy grits cake. Was just enough, not a huge meal. And we got a piece of homemade german chocolate cake to bring home. Was enough for both of us -- YUMMY!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a stir fry with the leftover pork tenderloin and peppers and onions served over rice! It was delicious!

posted Hide Post
Took husband to New Boston to get his motorcycle - best "detail" (bike-wash) place in the area. We went to DeKalb for supper. I ordered a hamburger and spicy fries...husband said "the same."

Yes...I am still dieting. No...I did not eat the bun. Used a knife and fork. OH MY the meat was delicious. Ate only half the fries. Ahhhhh satisfaction!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Last night was pork chops with a pan sauce made from tomatoes and marinade, rice and fresh green beans.

Tonight - meatloaf.

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I cooked tonight (haven't in a long while) It's Farmer's Market Tuesday -- roasted new potatoes with rosemary, little red onions with thyme and baby carrots. Made cheese scones for tea this afternoon and had two left so they went with dinner as well. DH grilled a steak and then we grilled fresh Missouri (the best on the prairie) peaches with honey and marscapone. It was a feast!

Martha

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I made a German Potato Salad to go with our Trader Joe's links (hot for DH, mild for me) and green beans. Ice cream for desert. Our 80-degree weather is a thing of the past. Don't know how hot it got today, but it's supposed to be in the 90's tomorrow. Frown

Posts: 6028 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dh brought in two packages of chicken drumsticks so I pan friend them last night. One pan I used shake n bake (not so good in the fry pan), one pan I used various spices and a little soy sauce (liked those the best), and the next pan I used tomato sauce and italian spices.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made omelets Monday night. I cooked some Wright's brand pepper bacon. I am in LOVE!! Thicker leaner and delicious slices of bacon. And since I'm counting calories...the same as a thinner fattier piece of bacon.

I have a few favorite brands that I purchase on sale. But from now on it will be Wright's pepper bacon!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Had a tomato tart, a salad of lettuce and lots of Farmer's Market vegetables with a garlicky vinaigrette and blackberries, peaches and blueberries with a tequilla lime drizzle.

Martha

posted Hide Post
We ate lunch out today, so my dinner was a tomato sandwich made with a Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato, salt, pepper and mayo on a good whole grain bread. YUMMMMMMM....And there's enough left for another one tomorrow maybe.

posted Hide Post
Interesting how so many of us enjoy the first offering of food and, yet, have no problems with utilizing left-overs and such to make a second/third or even fourth meal.

I'm thinking of the other recent thread here on the board about those who are experiencing "food insecurity" (love all these new "polically correct terms) ~ bottom line, I eat out very rarely and when I do, I enjoy it.

I always take home left-overs and incorporate them into new dishes as my Mom always impressed on me ~ "waste not." Wonder if those tossing take-out food into trash barrels have ever heard that term? Frown

Okay, back on topic, I haven't made anything new this week - just emptying out the freezer and using up food before it gets old. But, it's been fun - pork chops (2 ways), "sirloin in a bag" prepared 2 ways (strougnaff over egg noodles and broiled sirloins) with fresh, inexpesive vegies from the store right now ~ keep posting all - great ideas for new menus. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Couple nights ago enjoyed some beef tenderloin kabobs with garden fresh peppers, cherry tomatoes and Vidalia onions over leftover rice pilaf. French apple cake for dessert.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- it's almost apple season here and I always enjoy a good apple cake -- your French one sounds like it could be different. Could you share the recipe?

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I'm using the one from America's Test Kitchen show. Hope you add it to your files as well.

French Apple Cake

From America's Test Kitchen Season 13: French Sweets, Refined and Rustic
This French classic is neither a cake, nor a custard, nor a clafouti. But with a bit of culinary magic, it could be all three.

Serves 8 to 10

The microwaved apples should be pliable but not completely soft when cooked. To test for doneness, take one apple slice and try to bend it. If it snaps in half, it’s too firm; microwave it for an additional 30 seconds and test again. If Calvados is unavailable, 1 tablespoon of apple brandy or white rum can be substituted.

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges, and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise
1 tablespoon Calvados
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup (5 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (7 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 2 large yolks
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar
Instructions
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place apple slices into microwave-safe pie plate, cover, and microwave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Toss apple slices with Calvados and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
2. Whisk 1 cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in bowl. Whisk egg, oil, milk, and vanilla together in second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Transfer 1 cup batter to separate bowl and set aside.
3. Add egg yolks to remaining batter and whisk to combine. Using spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges, gently pressing on apples to create even, compact layer, and smooth surface.
4. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons flour into reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar evenly over cake.
5. Bake until center of cake is set, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top is golden brown, about 1¼ hours. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Run paring knife around sides of pan and let cool completely, 2 to 3 hours. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges, and serve.

TECHNIQUE
BATTER UP: IT'S A TWO-FOR-ONE
To produce this cake’s distinct layers, we started with a simple base batter and, with key additions, made it work in two ways.

CAKE: Adding extra flour to 1 cup of the base batter created a tender, airy top.

CUSTARD: Adding two extra yolks to the rest of the base batter created a creamy, dense bottom.

TECHNIQUE
ENSURING TENDER APPLES
Why do apples that go straight into the cake batter bake up too firm, while those same raw apples come out soft and tender if microwaved a bit before heading into the oven? Common sense might suggest that precooking simply hastens the fruit’s breakdown. But there’s more to the answer than that. As so often happens in cooking, an enzyme is involved, in this case a temperature-¬sensitive enzyme called pectin methylesterase (PME). As the batter’s temperature climbs and lingers between 120 and 160 degrees, the PME sets the pectin in the fruit, so the slices will remain ¬relatively firm no matter how long they are cooked. The catch, though, is that the PME is deactivated at temperatures above 160 degrees. Enter the microwave. A three-minute zap quickly brings the apples to 180 degrees—high enough to permanently kill any activity of the PME—so the precooked fruit emerges fully soft in the finished cake.
We even double-checked the science with a side test: heating vacuum-sealed batches of both raw and microwaved apples in a sous vide machine to the final temperature of the cake (208 degrees) for the same amount of time it bakes (1¼ hours). The microwaved apples were predictably tender, while the slices that we didn’t microwave remained firm. Furthermore, these slices never fully softened, even after we continued to cook them for another 40 minutes.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
This does sound good -- I'll give it a go when our apples start ripening!

Martha

posted Hide Post
I may have to try that recipe with pears!

Instead of driving 45 miles after work, having dinner, returning home and getting in here after 8 or so, I asked DH to take me to eat Chinese for my birthday. We have a very good restaurant here. Son, BIL and SIL joined us. Soooo good!

BFFs took me out for lunch today too. Big Grin

Before going to work I stopped and bought flowers and chocolate...from me to me. Big Grin I'm worth it. Big Grin

Lo and behold, I also got a dozen red roses! This was only the third time in 16 years that I've gotten flowers from DH. Of course this was a "landmark" birthday.

Re: Chocolate - those little one bite bars I make last for three nibbles. Four is a serving. I spread them out over the day and took the rest of the bag to the treasurer to dole them out to me. I have no self-control when it comes to chocolate. Frown

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Out here - though we do have wonderful fish and seafood available, it comes at a steep price. So, I'm very careful as to how much I purchase - or when it's on sale. And I never buy farm-raised fish or shrimp of any kind. I buy only wild caught - or line caught - and this week, we have wild caught King salmon on sale for $12.99 / lb. which is a very good price - but we only buy a pound at a time - and sometimes, that's plenty for two of us for two meals. Tonight it was wild King - Yukon gold potatoes - and fresh green beans - cantaloupe for dessert.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborn -- we had a very similar meal -- only, alas no salmon -- but instead chicken (oven fried), roasted little Yukon gold potatoes and blue cheese coleslaw. And cantaloupe for dessert!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Last night we enjoyed a small cocktail party with Eastern European friends at their home.
She offered some of the best little sausages, grilled; fresh tomato, cuke & feta bruschetta; a zippy flavored red pepper spread and decadent plum spread for Euro bakery bread slices.
I'm going to the store to purchase some of those sausages. Bigger than little smokies, shorter than little sizzlers but fatter.

For our Saturday brunch I made Ina's pannini grilled cheese sandwiches (after watching her show this morning) served with canteloupe & red berries.

I think it's going to be seafood or fish for dinner. Wish me luck. I'm not the best with either of those since all we get is frozen. I think it takes some finesse and careful seasoning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

posted Hide Post
Lurah, care to share what kind of sausages those are? No guarantee they'd be available to the rest of us, but you never know.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
Lurah, care to share what kind of sausages those are? No guarantee they'd be available to the rest of us, but you never know.

They call them cevapi - generally a sausage blend of beef, veal &/or lamb.
I found beef & veal at the grocery store in freezer section, but this store caters especially to our community of East. Europeans. I like to go in occasionally and browse the "import aisle" as they call it.
Today I picked up a tube of goulash cream. Anxuious to work with this.

Sausages last night were fresh from a East Euro deli here in town.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Or - they are called cevapcici - meaning, little sausages - a blend of beef, pork, veal - and grilled - popular in different Eastern European countries. I found this recipe:

Cevapčići, a.k.a., Balkan Sausages
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork or veal
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika (hot or mild)
1 medium onion, grated
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
German-ish tonight.

Fried cabbage with sausage
Fried potatoes
Acorn squash

(Fried cabbage and potatoes means using a couple of teaspoons of bacon fat per skillet. When you have good season cast iron, it doesn't take much fat.)

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Oooh, Lurah, Seaborne and KYIS, you're wetting my appetite! We're off to Vienna and Budapest Wednesday and now I'm looking very forward to the sausages and Goulash!

We just got back from San Francisco and couple of days ago, so our dinners have been consisting of a soup made of cabbage, green peppers, onion, celery and tomato... not just dinner but every meal Frown making room for our European vaca.

Posts: 989 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post