Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Agave Nectar Sign In/Join 
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted
The other day I was at Sam's and they had a half gallon container for a very good price. Then when I had a friend over, she saw it in the pantry and mentioned how unhealthy it was for you... like corn syrup. Since I've never really thought corn syrup was so terribly bad for you I had no idea what she was talking about regarding the Agave. Have you read that Agave is unhealthy?

Posts: 983 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Both commercially available Agave and Corn syrup that you find in grocery stores are highly processed and not considered a natural nor healthy food addition. Corn syrup is nearly all processed from GMO (genetically modified) plants. The Agave is often ultra processed from the roots of a starchy plant (often with the addition of corn syrup) and not a natural sweetener. These highly concentrated and processed syrups and sweeteners are common in sodas and commercial baked goods as well as just about everything grocery store item that needs a sweet taste.
It is commonly believed that the addition of these highly refined sugars in the last couple of decades are one major contributor to type two diabetes.

Posts: 9624 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, thank-you very much for that information Conrad, I did not know that... the only thing I've ever used corn syrup for is in making Pecan Pies... and I can certainly do without the use of the Agave since it has in no way become a staple... Into the garbage it goes!

Posts: 983 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Because of people being more aware of health issues in the GMO plants and sugars being added to nearly every commercial food product, I have become a much better label reader. (Yes with reading glasses for the fine print)
Some things are slowly changing for slightly more healthy options. Consumers do have the ultimate power.

There are some Agave syrups that are made the more traditional and less processed way (same way that Real/natural maple syrup is processed), but it won't be a large container at a bargain price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9624 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Conrad for the information, always appreciated!

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,
Being a recently diagnosed diabetic, I started using agave to make my healthy goodies. I was so proud of myself, no sugar used in 3 months. Went for my checkup and was discussing the use of Agave syrup with Doc. He turned around and said stop using it, it is as bad as sugar. I argued that it was labeled good for diabetics and all the ads said the same thing. He said it is not good for you so just stop.
So DSIL got my supply and she was a happy camper.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 994 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
While I do not use any sugars my advice is that unless you are going to eliminate sugar completely from your diet you might as well use that agave syrup in moderation. No point in throwing it out if you continue to use white sugar.

There is more and more research showing all sugars regardless of the source to be unhealthy, especially in the excessive amounts used by many. Even worse are those from GMO sources.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12742 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I use stevia for most sweetening. NO sugar, no calories, no cholesterol!
And it can be used in cooking & baking too, there are cookbooks/recipes "out there" for it's use that way.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4907 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently started using Stevia too. Had to go through a few different brands to find the one flavor I liked the best, not all brands taste the same I've found. The one I actually liked the best was Publix brand, and it was the cheapest.