Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  stainless steel fish steamer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stainless steel fish steamer Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Just bought one of these at a yard sale and want to cook haddock in it.

Is anyone (Linderhof, Lurah?) familiar with using these? Any suggestions? I will need to cook enough to feed 6 people, maybe with leftovers for chowder. Probably about 2 lbs.

This is a beautiful piece of equipment. Mint condition. Could I put tiny potatoes around the haddock or no?

Posts: 12665 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- I do have one . . . stainless steel but have never used it. I would assume that you wouldn't want to put potatoes around it for fish cooks rather quickly and potatoes don't unless you cook them first and just finish or reheat with the fish.

It is a beautiful piece of equipment.

I thought you put water and aromatics in the bottom (onions, herbs) get it to a nice boil, turn down to simmer and put fish on the plate and cook until done.

I've just never bought a big enough fish!

Martha

Posts: 5951 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martha, it is one of those things I have always wanted and at $5 couldn't pass it up.

I don't think I could go too wrong as fish is very easy

Posts: 12665 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post