Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K-cups Sign In/Join 
Picture of Indexlady
posted
This is not to start a discussion on grinding my own coffee and putting it in an aftermarket K-cup. I already DO that.

What I'd like to know is if there is an organically grown coffee OTHER THAN NEWMANS that is in a K-cup that is just REGULAR coffee, like you'd find in a diner 50 years ago.

No flavored coffees.

Not decaf.

But it does need to be organic--I'm NOT an organic buff, but in coffee I really get sick if it's conventional-grown.

Just a medium whatever. Not dark, not light, not thin, etc. Just a plain, good cup of coffee.

A "samples pack" came with the machine, but it was mostly just mostly flavored coffees and teas, OR they were NOT organic. So, that wasn't much help.

Any organic brands to recommend trying?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Posts: 4449 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5249 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Aychihuahua, just ordered a pack. Looking forward to trying it.

I'm open to others, too, if anyone else has a suggestion.

Posts: 4449 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Here's a link....

http://www.bing.com/shopping/s...fee+brands&FORM=HURE

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4768 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm 'over' the k-cups. I knew going in that the cups are expensive, but I just started not liking the tastes.

So, I've gone back to grinding my own beans and brewing in my Cuisinart coffee pot...I love the Target brand (archer farms) organic beans. I'm not an 'organic person' either, but I find this product delicious and veryyyyy reasonable in price.

Good luck w/finding the k-kups you want Smile

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, GA.Karen!

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
the cups are expensive, but I just started not liking the tastes.

I agree, the pre-made cups are!

That's why I usually grind my own beans, from Cafe Mam, just a few of days worth. Then fill my aftermarket k-cups from the little container I put the ground beans in.

Some days, I'm like.... really, really lazy.

Well, not really, but I'm still healing from a fall where I broke my leg and commpletely mangled my foot. (In Sept, the doc will make the determination if it's healing fast enough, or if surgery needs to be done.)

For now, every second on my feet counts and the premade cups are just the ticket. A bit of instantaneous luxury in the middle of feeling "the blues" until I get my feet back.

Now, to just find one that I like.

The Husband doesn't drink it, so don't have to worry about him.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen "free trade" coffees? We have these here in Midwest, many times handled by chur ches to purchase or make a donation.
I've had them but guess I not too exacting of a coffee snob yet. Hear you though, I just want plain dark strong black coffee and NO FLUFF.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
"free trade" coffees?

Is this like where you bring coffees and trade them out for some other type to try them?

I have heard of fair-trade, if that's what you mean. The coffee I usually order (Cafe Mam) is fair trade.

I like the free-trade idea, though!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, Indexlady, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident!! That's a nasty one.

I love coffee and sometimes we buy organic and sometimes we don't. Not a snob about that, but I do want good tasting coffee. And, we usually prefer a dark roast.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6494 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, FFGirl!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Yes, fair-trade coffees, I mean.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lurah. I was really hoping you mean free-trade... bring the ones you don't like and trade them. I rarely stop for any type of sales, and thought I was missing something! Had me all happy. HA!

Big Grin

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
LOL, here is how behind the times I am, I was thinking K cups were a rather large size of you know what!

Posts: 12506 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
LOL with LOS! Big Grin

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
lol

Back to seriousness.....I think these individual coffee cups are causing coffee filters to go up in price @ the market. 100 coffee filters are now....$5.00/box. 100 sheets of paper is a lot cheaper than THESE! Guess who is now sewing muslin filters...according the woman cutting my fabric...I'm NOT the only one.

Is this what is happening?

Posts: 5138 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
IL- If you go to www.keurig.com and type in Organic in the search it brings up quite a a few blends.

Posts: 1321 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jo-CT! Haven't tried that.