Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fried Apples Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I thought I'd try making fried apples for the church fall festival. Disaster! I used Cortland apples and Bisquick with some sugar and cinnamon in it and enough milk to make it into dipping batter. But when fried, it just sloughed off the apple pieces and looked burnt. I reduced the oil temp and tried again and the coating still slid off and was doughy. Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: weakestlink,

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about making them w/o the batter? This is the recipe I use and my gosh, I love them. You could keep them warm in a crockpot. I've even used them as a topping for cheesecake recently. I always taste before the times up because I like mine with a little bite to them and not mushy.
•3 large Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and cut into wedges
•1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or bacon drippings, or a combination
•1/4 cup light brown sugar, well packed
•1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoon allspice
•1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Instructions:
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or bacon drippings with the brown sugar. Add the apples and cook over medium until apples begin to release juices. Reduce to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until apples are tender. Sprinkle spices on top and toss until well blended.

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MountainBeach, I'm going to make some of your apples right now...thought it might be good with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! Thanks for sharing

Posts: 82 | Registered: Sep 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17064 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mamawto4:
MountainBeach, I'm going to make some of your apples right now...thought it might be good with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! Thanks for sharing

You're welcome, let us know if you like them.

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Orrrr. if you want it more savory, add thinly sliced onion to the mix, in equal amounts with the apple. fry in butter or bacon drippings with brown sugar.. I make this a couple times a year..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Sounds like apple pie without the crust!

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I agree, no batter. For years, I've been sauteeing them in butter with sugar and cinnamon for my Davidayre Pancake (aka German Pancake). Delicious!

Posts: 5986 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
While I have never made deep fried apple fritters (I don't deep fry anything) such as you describe I wonder if the 'secret' to holding the batter together is to dredge the apples in flour before adding them to the batter. Did you do that? That's the usual way when cooking anything with fruit in it to keep it from settling.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mountainbeach:
[QUOTE/]

Excellent. Added an extra tablespoon of butter and some cinnamon and nutmeg.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking if you wanted a 'batter' on them...how about baking apples in a dough crust?

Posts: 17064 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this site with fried apple rings. Thought of your post and wanted to share

www.foodsweet.com

put apple cinnamon rings in search box upper right.Hope this helps

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1061 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post