Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  ISO doctored-up pork & beans recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ISO doctored-up pork & beans recipe Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I have one, but am tired of it. We've decided to have hot dogs for our Friday dinner this boating weekend. One gal is bringing a potato salad. So I thought baked beans would be another good side dish.

One of our members has a delicious recipe that we all love, but he doesn't seem to want to share it, so I don't want to ask him a third time.

Here's my recipe:

6 strips bacon, cut in 1" pieces
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4-5 green onions, chopped
1 tall or 2 small (28-oz) cans baked beans*
1/2 c catsup
1/3 c brown sugar
1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste

*B&M Original, but they getting harder and harder to find in my area.

Cook bacon, remove from pan, leaving 2 Tb drippings. In drippings, saute green pepper and onions for 5 mins. Add remaining ingreds. and stir into casserole dish and bake 1/2 hr at 350, covered.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use beans, catsup, brown sugar, molasses, BBQ sauce,a bit of yellow mustard, onion (yellow or white) and bacon. I don't really have a "recipe" I just start adding and tasting, but they are on the sweet side. And I bake them slow and fairly long so that they're not really "juicy".

Martha

Posts: 5408 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one we love, seems like it was a KFC "Copy Cat" that started with canned beans (I think navy beans) then you make the 'sauce' and it was a combo of bacon, onion, catsup, brown sugar, mustard...then you actually bake it (then can be transferred to crock pot.)

I will have to dig out the recipe, so will post tomorrow before noon if I can find it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JANinMO,

Posts: 208 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lori I use the same basic recipe you do but I have started using chili sauce in place of the ketchup since it has some zing to it... Good ole Heinze.. Then I might add a few drops of some kind of Louisiana hot sauce.... Plus a teaspoon on yellow mustard. I had to switch to the Bush brand because the beans were so hard to find.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I think there was a similar thread quite some time ago. If it's hot dogs, have you ever served Calico Beans with ground beef, bacon, and a variety of canned beans?
I'm like the others about doctoring up a can of pork & beans - catsup, dry mustard, onion, brown sugar, molasses. Slice raw bacon into squares and lay them across the top and bake.

Another favorite from my mom is apples in the beans. Sometimes I just use apple butter.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KFC Bake Beans (it says BBQ, but there is no BBQ sauce)

2 15-oz cans small white beans (with liquid)
2 T. water
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 T. white vinegar
4 t. minced onion
2 pieces cooked bacon crumbled
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. salt
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Pour entire contents of beans into a covered casserole.
combine water and cornstarch, stir until corn starch dissolves. Mix into the beans.

Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover.
Bake in 350 oven for 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes.

NOTES: I found this to be a little too "saucy", so I add another can (or two) of beans, but drain/rinse these.

I also add more bacon and a little prepared mustard

Some times I add little minced green or red pepper.
I have used navy beans, white kidney beans, or even 3 differ. kinds of beans for interest.

Posts: 208 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Jan, thank you so much. I checked my veg. binder and found I had about 13 untried recipes and your recipe was there.

I made thepioneerwoman.com recipe yesterday--just in case I didn't like it, I would have time to do another one today. It tastes fine, but I'll know better when I serve it for dinner Friday night and see if it disappears or not!

8 slices bacon, halved
1 med. onion, cut into sm. dice
1/2 med. green pepper, small dice
3 lg. (28-oz) cans pork and beans
3/4 c BBQ sauce
1/4 c distilled or cider vinegar
2 ts dry mustard or 2 Tb Dijon

I halved the recipe and used a 28-oz can of B&M Orig. Baked Beans and a 16-oz can of Bush's Orig. Baked Baked Beans (because that's what I had on hand--the beans in both brands looked identical, but the B&M beans tasted sweeter). I used KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, distilled vinegar, and dry mustard.

It said to bake it for two hrs at 325. I baked it, covered, for 90 mins. and most of the liquid had been absorbed. If I do it again, I would only bake it for an hr. My plan for Friday night's dinner is to heat them for about 4 hrs. in my very little white Rival crockpot on low (not even sure if that little c/p has any temp. settings). I only hope they're not too mushy or dry and that I don't have to add any water.

Thank you all for your responses. Lurah, I even had your recipe that you posted back in 6/18/12, which itemized the entire recipe. It was on top and I was planning to make that one next. Should've looked in my binder before posting this thread! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I use the same ingredients as you do but switch out the catsup for 1/4 cup Mayo.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
FYI, everyone raved about thepioneerwoman's baked beans recipe that I made for Friday night.