Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Traditional Halloween dinner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditional Halloween dinner Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Theres turkey for thanksgiving, ham for Easter

And we have cilli for Halloween

Do you have a traditional Halloween meal

Thanks for the suggestion. (it won't let me type your name)

Martha

Posts: 5835 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
When I was a little girl, my mother always made hot dogs, beans and french fries on Halloween. I guess it was easy. So it would not be Halloween without that meal for me. I even drink a glass of milk with my dinner. Smile

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herb roasted chicken, roasted root veggies, squashes and assorted wild mushrooms. We call it "gnome food", so the idea is autumnal veggies with part of the stem still on so it looks very rustic. And of coarse pumpkin pie for desert.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also always made chili on Halloween to keep the kids warm while they were trick or treating.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my boys were little it was hot dogs for convenience. Tonight, fed the two youngest hot dogs before their aunt picked them up. Told them that we'd have hot dogs when their Dad and Uncle were going out trick or treating. Thought the traditions should continue.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6264 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
No dinner here. Trick or treaters start coming soon after 5 and so we had a late lunch out.

Posts: 12530 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Tonight was the first Halloween night since 1972 that I DIDN'T make "GHOULash."

The kids don't care for it and Mark had to teach night class at the university.

It's just good old hamburger goulash, made with shell macaroni, served with hard bread, but I feel like my arm got cut off. I'll make it Saturday night.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy in_wlsv, I would love your recipe for hamburger goulash. Grandsons like hamburger helper, but I would like to make something similar from scratch. TIA

Strings

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
"Ghoulash"

1 1/2 lb ground beef, browned and crumbled. (pieces about the size of first joint of your thumb)
2 cans diced tomatoes,
1 clove garlic crushed
1 medium onion chopped in small dice
1/2 green pepper small dice
seasoned salt to taste
1 pound shell maccaroni
1 jar your choice spaghetti sauce.

brown the meat along with the chopped onions and pepper.

At the same time cook the shell macaroni (I use medium shells)

drain the meat mixture, then add the meat, tomatoes and spaghetti sauce together in large pot (I use a 5 qt dutch oven) and heat thoroughly.

When macaroni is tender (to your taste, we HATE al dente pasta) drain and add to meat and sauce. stir well, simmer on low for long enough to heat through thoroughly.

I often have to add a 2nd jar of spaghetti sauce to this. It just depends on how thick it seems.

You can use plain tomato puree or crushed tomatoes instead of spaghetti sauce, but then you have to adjust the seasoning.

I can taste it now.. just 1 more day!

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. Think my family will just love this!

Strings

posted Hide Post
Kathy_in_wlsv, made your "ghoulash" for supper tonight. Two youngest grandsons liked it a lot. Oldest didn't get to stay long enough. Dh had to get some more ground beef. The package he got yesterday was spoiled. Put me a little behind in getting it done.

Thank you again for sharing the recipe.

Strings

Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
I'll be making your "ghoulash" this weekend.

Posts: 658 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like the thought of "ghoul ash"! How clever!

Martha

Posts: 5835 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread but the idea of GHOULash is too fun! Think I will add this to the dinner rotation this fall.

We usually get the Jack-o-Lantern take or bake pizza as trick or treaters can arrive at anytime. Papa Murphy's pepperoni pizza in a J-O-L face.

Posts: 3249 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post