Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  corn tortillas--homemade or store-bought?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

corn tortillas--homemade or store-bought? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
Mario Batalli recently made and raved about making corn tortillas on a recent The Chew episode. He said it was so easy and the taste was so much better. That's an incentive right there, but the reason I'd like to try it is because I can hardly find packages of one dozen anymore and I don't like the way they cook up after I've frozen them.

Just wondered if anyone here makes their own.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
CA Lori I only make my own. I always used to bring fresh made back from Miami, they were so good. Then I ran out and thought I'm just going to do it myself, and they are sooo easy! and delightful when you make them and eat them warm. They're like making a pancake in that the first one seems to be the experiment far as getting the pan temperature just right, after that, it goes fast. There are a few tricks here and there but all in all, it's very easy and very worth while.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:
CA Lori I only make my own.

OK, Cindy: hand over the recipe and no one gets hurt. Smile

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'll be right behind aychihuahua! We need the recipe!!!!

I've made flour tortillas from scratch. (And before you threaten be ay, I can't find my recipe!) There is no comparison to store bought. But I've never made corn tortillas from scratch.

Posts: 16569 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I did at a cooking class in Mexico and they were easy as I recall -- but you need the little press thing (or at least they had one)

Martha

Posts: 5435 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever having homemade corn tortillas, but I've had the flour ones and there were wonderful. I'd bet there's a ton of difference in the corn also. Good luck and let us know how it turns out, okay?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was trying to add a picture of the actual product that I use but as usual it says the content is too big, how the heck do you shrink down a photo so that it can fit here?

I use MASECA, which is an instant corn Masa Mix (see photo that didn't post Frown )
I don't measure... so here goes

2 c. corn masa mix
2 c. water (You're not going to use all this water, I just never measure so it's good to have enough on hand, this is way too much.)
There is no salt in this recipe
Clean dampened kitchen towel folded in half, and half, then roll it up.

In a bowl pour the mix and add the water till you can form the mixture into a ball, not too tight and definitely not loose, it has to stay together, similar to a pie crust dough

Depending upon how big you want your tortilla, pinch off a piece the size of a golf ball.

Place in the middle of the tortilla press. I always line both sides of the press with saran wrap or an open zip lock bag so the mesa doesn't get on the press. Press the tortilla to about an 8th of an inch or a little less, depending on what you like.

Heat a flat iron skillet to medium low, don't add any grease. Place the flattened tortilla in the middle, wait till you see steam coming from the sides, look under the tortilla, if you see that it has browned,and not burnt! flip it over. Second side is going to cook faster so keep a close eye, you can look under it by lifting it with a spatula, when you see this side has browned, you take the damp towel that you've rolled and you roll in on top of the tortilla till you see the tortilla "pop". Take it off the heat and keep warm in a towel.

These freeze very well. Just wrap in aluminum foil.

You don't need a press, two med. sized cutting boards will work well too.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.buythecase.net/prod...ib6rkCFRPl7AodIz8APg

This is the link to the Maseca I use.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting your recipe Spanish Revival!

Here is another recipe on this blog post that might be helpful.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com...-for-those-that.html

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9344 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I went to a class where a woman was teaching how to make these, and so I tried them there. I think homemade corn tortillas are like homemade bread....so much better that what comes from the store.

Posts: 7086 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a press, think you could roll them out?

Or LOL put the plastic covered ball on the floor, top with a cast iron skillet, then step in the skillet???!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 16569 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Thanks for posting your recipe Spanish Revival!

Here is another recipe on this blog post that might be helpful.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com...-for-those-that.html

Perfect tutorial Beau's Rose!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Mario used 2 c masa, 1 c warm water, and 2 Tb veg. or canola oil (in place of lard). I was closely watching Clinton Kelly as he was making the dough and I notice that he had to add more water.

I looked at several online recipes and I'm thinking maybe 1 1/2 c of water would have been what Clinton actually wound up using. None of the online recipes called for oil.

There are two kinds of presses, the common metal one that we see in all the kitchen stores and a rather clumsy -looking wood press, which was used in one of the youtube videos that I watched.

And yes, Sherry, you could use your iron skillet and you wouldn't even have to step in it!!! LOL

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
The best homemade tacos I've done were with homemade flour tortillas, filled with meat then fried. Yum. Hard to make enough of these when 3 kids are all hungry and wanting more.
Intrigued with the homemade corn tortillas, too.
Thanks for posting the recipe.

I'fe watched a Hindu friend make their bread/nan and sounds similar to the tortillas.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks Spanish and CA Lori for the recipes and others for the tips. Can't wait to try my hand at them (and my husband is salivating at the thought.)

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
DH tried making a flat bread the other day (also from Thoreau!) and it was so thick and he wouldn't listen to me about that and he baked it for 55 min! So you can imagine how rock like that was. he will be thrilled with this recipe so thank you all!

Now to check out the prices of the presses!

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could barely get them off the griddle before either husband or son jerked them up to eat. I had to cook tortillas while no one else was in the house!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I checked out the recipe on the bag of masa flour. I think it was 2 c masa, 1 1/4 c water, and some salt (don't remember how much). No oil!

Sherry, are you saying you just got through making some? Did you use your iron skillet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,