Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey fryers Sign In/Join 
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted
I watched a tv infomercial about the Butterball Turkey Fryer. It's electric & used inside. Anyone else see this commercial or have one of these?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've never fried a turkey, but from what I know about the process, there's no way in heck I'd ever attempt it inside!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
I've never fried a turkey, but from what I know about the process, there's no way in heck I'd ever attempt it inside!

I agree!!!!!!!!!! Way to dangerous! Even having the fryer CLOSE to the house can be dangerous!
And I've had fried turkey...I didn't care for it that much....but it could have been the cook. I prefer the old roasted one!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fried turkeys I've had were delicious--quite moist. But I'm down here in Cajun country where we "invented" fried turkey. I am in agreement with those of you who think frying a turkey should be done outside WAY far away from the house--by SOBER cooks!!!!!

Posts: 3493 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Even if the heating element is fully enclosed and no risk of fire from boiling over oil hitting the element, when that turkey hits the oil, the oil bubble and boils and splatters from the moisture on/in the turkey.

Yep...take it outside.

I like fried turkey and gave DH a turkey fryer to hook up to the propane tank. His family is weird. DH volunteered to fry the turkey at his brother's place...went outside to fry the turkey...all by himself. The rest of the men stayed inside. He had strayed into "woman's work."

He does most of the grilling and the turkey frying even though he hasn't fried a turkey in at least 9 years.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Yep, the risk of the hot oil boiling over plus the spattering doesn't sound good.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I love eating fried turkey, but have never tried doing it myself. Nor do I intend to.

FYI: customer comments about the Butterball Electric indoor turkey fryer. http://www.qvc.com/Butterball-...ustomerReviewWrapper

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
We've fried turkey before, we like them... only thing is no drippings for gravy Frown

I knew I wasn't crazy, I remember seeing an oil- less fryer at Home Depot or Lowes, one of those stores.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-b...-model-10101480.html

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
SSTR, we have one of those Butterball turkey fryers. My dh said that he'd never use one. He has and is convinced it is the most moist turkey he has ever had. We use it inside and it is very easy. We like the size of the basket; it will do a 12 pound turkey. The turkey in the freezer won't fit, so we'll be doing the ol' fashion way of roasting the turkey this Thanksgiving.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband does a fried turkey and I worry a bit. He's careful. The men in my house out voted me. I do a baked one for the drippings. Lots of turkey lovers here.

Do not fry a turkey inside your dwelling.

There's a funny story from our region. A few years ago a fire chief or fire marshal fried a turkey on his back deck and caught it on fire.
Of all the people who should know better.....

Posts: 810 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw the lead-in to an infomercial about an oil-less turkey fryer. What a misnomer!

For those wanting to fry indoors, it would be worth looking into this.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post