Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  are you a gourmet or what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are you a gourmet or what? Sign In/Join 
Picture of joyluck
posted
Are you:

~ a gourmet (a connoisseur of good food and drink)?

~ a gourmand (lover of good food and drink)?

~ an epicurean (a person with luxurious tastes in food and drink)?

~ a glutton (a person who eats and drinks excessively)?

~ a picky eater (a person who is extremely choosy with likes and dislikes of food)?

~ or how would you describe your association with food (and drink)?

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I ate to live (I was VERY skinny). I can't say that I now live to eat, but I do enjoy good food. I guess that makes me a gourmet.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Probably more a gourmand than a gourmet - though I do have a discriminating palate too.

And I have cooked - and can cook - and have learned how to cook - many of the best dishes of several different national cuisines. But I rarely make the effort any more - because of cost, our diminished capacity, and simple dishes please us just as well.

But when I go out to eat, then I try to indulge myself with the dishes I am no longer cooking at home.

Seaborne

Posts: 1139 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Probably a combo of 1,2,3. Just depends on circumstances... Wink

Posts: 2866 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'm a foodie!

Martha

Posts: 5945 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Picky eater!

Posts: 3161 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a gourmand.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltzilla:
Gourmand/glutton Wink
Gluttonous Gourmand
Gluttormand
Wink

LOL

DH once asked his BFF how he liked he steak prepared. BFF answered GOOD! Wink

Posts: 17096 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Given the right opportunities I would say maybe a half way gourmand. I can appreciate beautifully prepared food, like that I had at a luncheon party a week ago in Ct. Drink, I don't think so as I don't like to drink alcohol very much and do not have a discerning palate say for wine.

I am not a glutton, nor an extremely picky eater, certainly not a gourmet or an epicurean.

Given a different mate I could maybe have been what we now call a foodie, but don't think I could have ever risen to the level of preparing food for a gourmand.

Posts: 12662 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Kind of in there with Martha. It doesn't have to be the Ritz, but I do appreciate and can tell the effort that goes into well prepared food and thought out menus.

On the other hand - I certainly enjoy the hotdogs prepared at the joint up the street or the breakfast bowl at our favorite pancake house.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3534 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I think a gourmand, though at heart I'm just a gluttonous gluten, jk... I think.

I like a lot of foods people won't try... Bull test icle, lamb brains, cow stomach, goat, things like that. I love caviar but that's not unusual. But I also love a good hamburger or a straight up plate of rice and beans with a good spicy hot salsa... I'll eat anything if it's good.

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Though I did see somewhere where they gouged out the eyes of a pig and served them up... that would probably be a limitation for me.

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I appreciate good food, but I am not into fancy food or food snobbery. I like simple, well prepared food that is easy to serve. I tend to like more humble fare that is earthy, like soups and bean dishes, and vegetable things, fruity desserts. I like fish and meats, but eat them less regularly than other things. I like to cook, but I don't like to spend all day at it. Simple and quick and fresh appeal to me.

Posts: 7191 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definately a picky eater, largely because of food allergies that I've developed. And definately not adventerous!

Posts: 2997 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
I'm a foodie! Martha

Thanks for that designation! I had forgotten that word.

I'm a foodie (defined as a person having an enthusiastic interest in good food), also a gourmand, an occasional gourmet, and sometimes a picky eater as won't eat anything *really* weird as Spanish Revival lists. I just love good food well made with fresh, organic ingredients.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an or what

Posts: 2223 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
I appreciate good food, but I am not into fancy food or food snobbery. I like simple, well prepared food that is easy to serve. I tend to like more humble fare that is earthy, like soups and bean dishes, and vegetable things, fruity desserts. I like fish and meats, but eat them less regularly than other things. I like to cook, but I don't like to spend all day at it. Simple and quick and fresh appeal to me.

Leave out the fish and that is pretty much me. More like farm fare, nothing fancy but more like rib sticking! Meals that give enough energy to do hard, physical work all day!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4866 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My father claims me to be epicurean, my immediate family refers to me as a gourmet and I consider myself a gourmand. Hope that's not to snobbish. As I read through all the posts...I too am a foodie.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post