Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Hard Cooked Eggs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Cooked Eggs Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
This is the way I've "boiled" my eggs for a couple/three decades now:
http://www.onlinecookingschool...itches53%40yahoo.com

Not much effort or heat source...

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I do mine that way too. I knew the fresher the egg the more difficult to peel so I was happy to hear the hint about keeping it in the ice water for 5 minutes, wish I knew about that when I made 100 deviled eggs for the wedding a few weeks ago!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I use this method as well, except that I use extra large eggs, so I keep them covered in the hot water for 15 minutes instead of 10. And, I keep them in the ice bath 20 minutes.

After much trial and error, I now get perfect results each time. Never overcooked and super easy to peel.

Posts: 5164 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Not that it doesn't on occasion happen but I rarely get a green rim. Also I don't want my yolks 'creamy' I want them dry.

Also I find that a gas stove and an electric stove are two quite different animals. And I have electric!

Posts: 12146 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
That's the American Egg Boards recommended way to hard cook eggs as well. I rinse with fresh cold water a couple of times right away and then add the ice to the bath.
To get them cracked without the shell sticking to the egg white I drain off water when eggs get chilled, put the pot lid on & shake it like a popcorn pan to crack the shells. Then I add more cold water for them to soak in while I peel shells.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LoS, Just leave them in the hot water longer...for a harder set yellow.

I've cooked with electricity and gas - prefer gas. It didn't take but one time of leaving a pan on the electric burner and drying out whatever was in it for me to remember to remove the pot from that burner when I wanted to stop the cooking.

With this method though, I've never had soft-set yolks.

Lurah, I shake my eggs in the drained pan too. Then cover with cold water. Smile Great minds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I've lived in 40 different homes, each with a different stove. I got tired of trial and error. So this is how I make my hard-cooked eggs and they turn out perfect no matter what stove I have to cook on.

http://static.americastestkitc...ggcooker-653x436.jpg

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post