Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Angel food cake sticking to pan -- what do I do next time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angel food cake sticking to pan -- what do I do next time? Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
Last night I made an angel food cake (from mix) and put it in a nonstick tube pan. It won't come out!

A. did it not bake long enough? (directions said 30 min at 350, 15 at 325 or until done). I did it by time. It seems done (I dug a piece out of the pan -- oops)

or

B. should I have sprayed the pan with Pam? or floured it (which does not seem right to me)?

I've never baked an angel food cake before nor have I used the pan -- its been sitting on the shelf FOREVER.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I have used this recipe for years to coat baking pans. Store it in the refrigerator in a jar with tight lid.

Bear Grease

1/2 Cup Crisco Shortening

1/4 Cup Cooking oil (liquid vegetable oil)

1/2 Cup Flour

Mix all three ingredients together. Store in glass jar. Use when recipe calls for greased and floured baking pan.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've never had trouble with angel food sticking to pans -- I use my mother's old non stick pan -- but I don't think you are supposed to grease and flour or Pam angel food pans.

Martha

Posts: 5394 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the trouble you had. The problem is your non-stick pan. Its dark surface glued the cake onto it during baking/cooling.

Angel cake has only egg whites as leavening. The batter needs to "grip" the pan as it expands with heat in order to rise high and light. An angel food pan should have a tube, a removable bottom (important for removal of the cake) and be made of shiny aluminum, never greased, never non-stick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay is absolutely correct, the batter does need to grip the sides of the angel cake pan or else it won't work. After baking the pan gets turned upside down and the cake pops out.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cake did rise -- about an inch and a half above the rim -- it almost touched the top rack. But I guess now I know why I was able to get an almost new nonstick tube pan at a garage sale for such a reasonable price! Guess I can still use it for other purposes -- candy mold, coffee cake, etc.

Beau, I never heard of mixing the oil and flour together like that -- if I ever have need to buy crisco again (can't remember the last time I had any in the house) I will be sure to mix up a batch. Thanks for the hint.

posted Hide Post
Not a big cake bake, but doesn't angelfood (maybe chiffon) cake call for NO lubing up of pans?? Think ya need a tube pan with removable bottom. Knife around side to lift out and aling bottom to loosen... plus some coaxing down side of tube.

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thatchairlady:
Think ya need a tube pan with removable bottom. Knife around side to lift out and aling bottom to loosen... plus some coaxing down side of tube.

My mother had an aluminum cake pan like that -- we never used it for angel food though -- as a 12 year old, I would grease and flour the pan and bake a chocolate cake in it -- then make a boiled frosting. It was fun to fill up the hole in the middle with frosting and was very easy to cut and serve. With five of us kids it was fun to get that little extra blob of frosting that was in the middle. I bet one of my siblings still has that pan.

BTW, the instructions said not to prepare the pan in any way -- and I did not. Since it did rise spectacularly I am thinking that I either under or over baked the cake. It seems done -- when I pull a piece out, leaving behind the stuck outer layer, the cake is spongy, not sticky, and really pretty good.

This was a cake mix from the bulk food store -- that may have had some impact on the results too.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Angel Food Cake, even from a mix is baked in an ungreased pan. I've never had it just fall out of the pan, it has to have a long thin knife run along the pan sides first, turned out, and the knife run along the bottom of pan (top of cake) and the center tube to get it out.
That's why a 2-piece tube pan is used.

I have an aluminum loaf shaped pan with cooling prongs on the top, Don't recall if I have ever made an Angel Food cake in it, but I'm sure it gave me fits to get it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:

My mother had an aluminum cake pan like that --

Right. That is an angel food pan. My mom used hers for banana cake and angel food, as do I. I also have a vanilla pound cake recipe I bake in it. But the two-piece is a must for angel food.

Here's an article that shows the right kind of pan and explains why it's needed:
http://baking911.com/cakes/ang...dmas-angel-food-cake

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You can put parchment paper in the bottom of the 2 piece pan to remove the angel food cake easier.
We did this when I worked in a deli/bakery in a grocery store.
Use the center piece to make a pattern on the paper & then cut it to fit ONLY the bottom.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4299 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
quote:

My mother had an aluminum cake pan like that --

Right. That is an angel food pan. My mom used hers for banana cake and angel food, as do I. I also have a vanilla pound cake recipe I bake in it. But the two-piece is a must for angel food.

Here's an article that shows the right kind of pan and explains why it's needed:
http://baking911.com/cakes/ang...dmas-angel-food-cake

OK -- Light Bulb Moment -- duh!!! I think the pan I have is a bundt cake pan. I feel so silly!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Oh my, good luck washing the Bundt pan.
But you could always tear up the cake and serve it with a luscious vanilla sauce like Julia Child suggests.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
That would explain it -- angel food doesn't work in a bundt pan but other cakes work in an angel food pan!

Martha

Posts: 5394 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy ! Just run a Knife around both the outer and inner edge of the pan. Then fill your sink with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes. Invert and bang on the top of the pan a little ... comes right out. Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
c

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
FYI, I have a heavy Nordic Ware Bundt Pan (it's not teflon coated) and everything was sticking to it until I discovered that after greasing the pan, I sprinkled sugar on the bottom and sides. Everything comes out easily now. (I put some sugar in an old salt shaker--works like a charm!)

Another thing I found with this cake pan was to lower the oven temp by 25 degrees. I don't have any more dried out cakes since I started using these two tips.

Posts: 5879 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post