Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  December Candy Making
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December Candy Making Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Who doesn't love homemade candy and some are traditions passed down from mothers and grandmothers. What candy are you making this Christmas?

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to make "Jets" that my Mom used to make. Think some call them Martha Washingtons.

Most times, my aspirations don't work out.

Will be looking to see what others are making.

When my parents were alive, we would all get together to make a hard candy that was poured out on marble and then cut up. Oh the blisters. Miss traditions like that.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tea Lover
posted Hide Post
I got a real head start on Christmas this year. I have made eight kinds of jam (including Linderhof’s Apple-Rosemary Jelly, thank you) and three kinds of candy. I made:

Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups chunky peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
4 cups Rice Krispies
Milk Chocolate for dipping, about one pound

Mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter and Rice Krispies. Roll into small balls. Refrigerate or freeze until firm. Melt chocolate. Dip balls in chocolate and put on waxed paper lined cookie sheets. Refrigerate until set.

Coconut Indulgences
Emeril Lagasse, The Essence of Emeril Show, 2001

5 ounces condensed milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir well until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add the coconut and stir well to combine.
With a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the candy mixture onto a baking sheet. With wet hands roll the candies into rounds. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

In the top of a double boiler or metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips. Pour the chocolate into a shallow bowl and, using 2 forks or toothpicks, dip the coconut balls into the chocolate and roll to coat completely. Shake off the excess, and place on a rack set over a baking sheet covered with waxed paper. Repeat with the remaining candies and let air dry, or refrigerate to harden.

(I use dipping chocolate from a local candy and cake supply store.)

Bailey's Irish Cream Balls

1 12 oz box vanilla wafer cookies, finely crushed
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
Powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients except powdered sugar in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar. Allow to dry on wire rack for 1 hour. Roll in powdered sugar again if desired. Store in airtight container between layers of wax paper.

Posts: 591 | Location: So Calif | Registered: Feb 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
I do the same with candy. I make about 5 different kind. here's my list for this year.
1) angel sercets
2) oven caramel corn
3) peanut butter fudge
4) peanut butter haystacks
5) sugared nuts

Posts: 658 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Never heard of angels secrets. What are those?

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I do love to make English Toffee which is what my mom makes too.

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, Tea Lover, those sound wonderful, especially the coconut/chocolate ones!! I'm going to save those recipes for sure.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6603 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm making pb balls and maybe fudge. The more I make the more I eat the more I gain so I have to limit what I make.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
truffles
fudge
pralines
peanut patties
peanut brittle
chocolate covered salted nuts

I don't know which/how much I'll make this year, but I will do some!

Caramel popcorn has been almost a weekly occurrence around here lately. DH had me pick up a box or two of caramel popcorn at the store every week. I finally started making it myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17081 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truffles and maybe some homemade marshmallows.

Last year I tried I recipe for some fruit jellies that were on the cover of Gourmet 20 years ago--they turned out gooey and didn't jell properly. What a mess? Does anyone have a recipe for fruit jellies?

Posts: 3198 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
sorry I meant "angel sweets". here's the recipe for them.
Angel Sweets
1- 6oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup flaked coconut

melt chocolate and butter over low heat. remove from heat; blend in egg. stir in sifted powdered sugar, walnuts and miniature marshmallows, mixing well. shape into 1 inch balls; roll in flaked coconut. chill.

Posts: 658 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Homemade See's fudge, turtles, divinity, peanut brittle, Martha Washington candy, sugared walnuts, fruit & nut roll and one called Millie's Candy that is my favorite take turns on the Christmas candy tray.

Posts: 2755 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
ENGLISH TOFFEE , but not too sure I will make some this Christmas. Smile My mom use to make thee BEST melt in your mouth peanut butter fudge.

Posts: 18693 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I'm making
Peanut butter balls, they are like Reese's cups, some call them buck eyes.

Coconut balls dipped in chocolate

And Carter's clusters. This is peanuts in chocolate candy (from scratch, not almond bark. )

All my MIL'recipes and a tradition. I make my chocolate dip from chips and paraffin . Just tastes better than almond bark. That was the way she originally made them also.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Just finished my pralines and will do some coconut haystacks as soon as I can put the pralines in a container.
Then going to make 1 more loaf of whole wheat banana nut bread and call it DONE except for the Amish Friendship cakes that won't be ready to bake until next Sat. or Sun...I forget which!

Next will be packing a bunch of it up and shipping it out to son & family in Japan.
It's amazing what the military mail handlers can do to home baked goods...son said last year the boxes looked like they had been run over by trucks and the cookies were all crumbs...but they ate them anyway! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4856 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am experimenting with potato candies and trying to make them taste more like the one that my great-great grandma used to make.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post