Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Thanksgiving Menu?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving Menu? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
It is almost that time, so what are your plans this year? Tell us about your menu, how many cooks, and how many guests?

Are you visiting relatives or making reservations?

This is my turn to cook and it will be 6 of us. I will make the turkey, gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce, rolls and side salads and a couple of deserts.

DS will bring the mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and a green vegetable and what ever else she feels like cooking.

Plenty of left overs - I bought a 20 lb turkey this year. Saved my 12 lb to smoke for DH and me later.
DS will make

Fun and Info

Posts: 3529 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 adults & 2 little ones here, and I do the cooking. We're having turkey, dressing, gravy, mash potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, rolls, and pumpkin pie. Our 5yr old also requested a lemon pie so, I might make one of those. Recipes I'm using this year:
dressing-Valettas recipe from this board
gravy-allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-turkey-gravy
potatoes-allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-mashed-potatoes
rolls-www.beyondkimchee.com/pumpkin-dinner-rolls

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Turkey breast, roasted
Dressing for me, cornbread dressing for DH
Mashed potatoes
Gravy for DH
Homemade noodles for me...on my taters
Green bean casserole
Cream Corn
Candied yams
rolls
Pumpkin Pie with LOTS of cool whip!

Just the 2 of us and I'll do all the cooking.

And we will have leftovers for a couple of days! Big Grin

ETA...I forgot, cranberry sauce too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4861 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
For the first time in my married life, I am not the cook for Thanksgiving! One of ours sons, and his girlfriend are having it at his home! Yay!! I will make mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, and a sweet potato casserole I have yet to decide on. Anyone have a good sweet potato casserole recipe they'd like to share?

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Funny you ask. I found a recipe earlier this year I really liked and now I can't find it.

For years I've made it with fresh sweet potatoes, cooked (either boiled or roasted) sliced, and over lapped in the baking dish. I make a glaze with corn starch, butter, brown sugar, honey, orange rind, pineapple juice and spices to pour over, sprinkle with chopped nuts. Pour glaze over potatoes, wrap and refrigerate 8 hours (I don't always do this). Bring to room temp and bake about 30 min or until the glaze begins to bubble.

It is from the 1990 Southern Living Recipe Book.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3529 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Charming, thanks!

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to make this but mash the potatoes, skip the cornstarch and add the other ingredients to bake it as a casserole. Sprinkle the nuts with some brown sugar on top.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Best sweet potatoes ever- everyone always asks me for the recipe once they eat these.

3 c (about 3 lbs) mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Mix all ingredients- pour into casserole dish (I use very old corning ware and size is worn off)

Topping:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cold butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix flour and sugar together- cut in cold butter until coarse. Add pecans and spread over potatoes. *I make 1 1/2 recipes of topping because it is so good. Bake at 350 until potatoes heated through and topping is browned- usually 1/2 hour.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have a good sweet potato casserole recipe they'd like to share?

Guy Fieri made a good looking one on his Thanksgiving special. It was slices of sweet potatoes (already baked and peeled) alternating with apple slices and topped with an also cooked pecan sauce. Looked yummy!

We decided not to go to DD's for thanksgiving. We are very happy with our choice. I have 1/2 Turkey breast in freezer and we will have mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, relish tray (veggies) cranberry sauce, creamed onions, squash for me, peas for DH, pumpkin and apple pies!

Posts: 12660 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
DH and I will be on our own for Thanksgiving. This is nothing new for us; all our family members are scattered over the country, and no one likes to travel long distances for the holidays, including us. Not that I can blame anyone.

For T-Day, we are having roasted Cornish game hens, some kind of cornbread and sausage dressing, and a veggie or two to be named later. Oh, and pumpkin pie for dessert.

We are eating light because the day after, I am hosting a very dear friend and her adult daughter at our home for a hearty lunch and more pumpkin pie!

Posts: 5296 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had planned to be away on turkey day but that has changed. So, I figured we should at least make the effort to celebrate. We'll have turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, some kind of veggie yet to be determined, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie for dessert. That dish of the sweet potatoes and apples sounds wonderful. We may trade the mashed potatoes for that one.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to get away from ooey gooey sweet potato casseroles no matter how good they are.

This is what I did last year:

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick
Layer in a buttered baking dish.
Drizzle with maple syrup.
Spread several really thin slivers of real butter around.
Sprinkle with a dash of salt and some ground cinnamon.
Toss on a handful of dried cranberries (Craisin) and about 1/4 cup of slivered almonds.
Cover with foil.

Bake at 400 degrees about 40 minutes.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'll be going to step-Ds house. I'm baking bread and have no idea how much to bake. I think she's invited half the town. When I mentioned Dutch oven bread, DH did request a loaf of bread machine bread - so that too.

I did however purchased a spiral sliced ham and got a free turkey. Put both in the freezer for another time.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I'm trying to get away from ooey gooey sweet potato casseroles no matter how good they are.

This is what I did last year:

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick
Layer in a buttered baking dish.
Drizzle with maple syrup.
Spread several really thin slivers of real butter around.
Sprinkle with a dash of salt and some ground cinnamon.
Toss on a handful of dried cranberries (Craisin) and about 1/4 cup of slivered almonds.
Cover with foil.

Bake at 400 degrees about 40 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe. I have a mashed sweet potato recipe with canned chipotle peppers. It is really good with a bit of a bite. But, BIL can't handle spicy.

Fun and Info

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
We'll be going to step-Ds house. I'm baking bread and have no idea how much to bake. I think she's invited half the town. When I mentioned Dutch oven bread, DH did request a loaf of bread machine bread - so that too.

I did however purchased a spiral sliced ham and got a free turkey. Put both in the freezer for another time.

I made my rolls today - bread machine for the dough, then shape and bake at 300 until done not brown - abt 15 min. Cool on rack, place in bags and freeze until ready to brown. Spread melted butter over the top when you put them back in the oven and they are as good as fresh.

Tomorrow I'll make cranberry sauce.

Took the turkey out of the freezer to start thawing in the refrigerator. I'll put it in brine on Wednesday morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
aychi, I'm always on the lookout for good Cornish hen recipes. Can you share yours?

Posts: 3414 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooooh! Chipotle with sweet potatoes...that sounds wicked!!!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ooooooh! Chipotle with sweet potatoes...that sounds wicked!!!

I couldn't find the exact recipe on line but this is pretty close:

Chipotle Sweet Potatoes

All You NOVEMBER 2013
Yield: Serves: 8
Cook time:2 Hours, 15 Minutes
Prep time:10 Minutes
Cost Per Serving:$0.57
Ingredients
4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies (about 1 1/2 chilies) in adobo sauce, plus 2 Tbsp. sauce
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet with foil. ***** potatoes all over with a fork and bake until very soft, 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. Let cool. Lower oven temperature to 350ºF.

2. Cut potatoes in half crosswise and scoop out flesh. In a food processor, puree potato flesh with chilies, sauce, butter and salt. Spread into a greased 2-quart baking dish.

3. Bake uncovered until hot, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve.

This is the one I made, I think I skipped the lime juice.

Chipotle Lime Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients
• 4 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preparation
1. Pierce each potato with a fork 3 to 4 times on each side. Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes, turning after 4 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp.
2. Stir brown sugar, milk, lime juice, chipotle chile, adobo sauce, and salt into potato pulp.

The recipe ends here but I baked at 350 until heated through.

Variation: Bake sweet potatoes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
THANKS! I've got to try these.

Son said he saw a roadside vendor with the dark red sweet potatoes. He's supposed to get me a bushel of them - I've got two friends wanting some of them...

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
aychi, I'm always on the lookout for good Cornish hen recipes. Can you share yours?

Nothing fancy; no sweet sauces with orange or cherries or anything like that.

I make a paste of olive oil, salt, lemon juice, smoked paprika and garlic paste, and then slather the bird's skin with it, making sure to go under the breast skin as well.

Sometimes I will take fresh herbs such as whole sage leaves and/or tarragon and slip them under the skin for extra flavor. (Looks pretty, too.) More often than not, I wind up tearing the skin a bit, but since it's just DH and I, no biggie.

I sprinkle a little salt into the cavity. If I am feeling ambitious, I will saute chopped celery, onions and carrots in butter until tender, making a mirepoix. After it cools, I stuff the bird with it.

I let the bird rest like that for about 30 minutes before putting it into a 375 degree oven.

That's it. No gravy for us, as we find the birds to be quite rich and moist. Because this recipe produces a very savory bird, I like to serve it with cranberry orange relish on the side.

Hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5296 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, aychi. I sometimes make a glaze with butter, apricot preserves and either orange liqueur or orange juice for the hens which are stuffed with a wild rice and white rice mix. My daughter does a similar dish with a cranberry glaze. Your mention of a cranberry orange relish make me wonder what a cranberry, orange liqueur glazed bird might taste like.

I plan to try your recipe soon.

Posts: 3414 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Charming,

Thank you for explaining how you bake your rolls and how to rewarm them the day of. I was going to wait until Tuesday. This gives me another option.

Aychi, our Thanksgiving was kept simple and quiet last year. Good....but simplified.

My hub has said that we are going to have oyster dressing with our huge turkey this year. I leave him with this part the Thanksgiving dinner. I'm in charge of the rest. He told me I could keep our cranberry simple....and I just found a new recipe I want to try, so much for simple. Smile Best to be a surprise of the day. Much of what MountainBeach listed is what we're having, too.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Posts: 5186 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Works very well - bake in a 300 oven 15 - 20 min. Until done but not brown.

Cool on wire racks bag and freeze. To finish - bake at 375 about 15 min til brown. Brush tops with butter a few minutes before removing from oven.

Fun and Info

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I am cooking for my usual 30 people. It will be a typical Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm cooking a 29 pound turkey, 25 pounds of mashed potatoes, lots of home made gravy, a big roasting pan of stuffing, a double batch of homemade rolls, apple pie, pumpkin pie, raisin pie, and blackberry pie.

My family are contributing several kinds of pre-meal munchies, a green salad and a Waldorf salad, baked corn casserole, punch, mashed rutabagas, cranberries, and more pies.

I'm looking forward to it.

Posts: 7190 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cocok, several years ago, did you post all the stacks of dishes after your big family meal? I remember that photo. Think it is great that you can have so many family members all together.

Think you also showed a photo of a long table set with nice china.

I am not sure I could lift a 29 lb. turkey to put it in the oven.

Cocok, did try the Stove Top Dressing with added sauted onions and celery. Used the turkey flavor.

I hope to make some of the dressing bread posted by Valetta for turkey sandwiches.

It was just dh, ds, me and the 3 grands for our dinner tonight. The grands will be eating at their Mom's family on Thursday. We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, broccoli casserole, corn pudding and rolls. Pumpkin pie of course. Cut out a few items this year, but we still had plenty to eat. We were blessed and very grateful.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I prefer to boil my sweet potatoes or yams, drain, mash, add some butter, brown sugar, the juice and zest of an orange or two. For presentation, fill this whipped blend in the hollowed out cavities of orange halves. BTW, my mother subs orange marmalade for the juice and zest. I have had guests comment, "I typically don't care for sweet potatoes or yams, but DO like them this way."

It's simple and less fattening than the casseroles laden with syrups, marshmallows, crumb toppings or extra butter tho they sound decadent.

Posts: 18693 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo, thank you. I will try that. Ds doesn't like the marshmallows on top and due to dgs#2's nut allergy, we can't do the nut topping. You are very right that both of those options add extra calories etc.

We usually do ham for Christmas and I like sweet potatoes with ham.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
Cocok, several years ago, did you post all the stacks of dishes after your big family meal? I remember that photo. Think it is great that you can have so many family members all together.

Think you also showed a photo of a long table set with nice china.

I am not sure I could lift a 29 lb. turkey to put it in the oven.

Ha ha, good memory Strings! I did post pictures of my stacks of dirty dishes after Thanksgiving one year! I think "after sho.ts" tell the Thanksgiving story the best!

And yes, I have posted pictures of my table before. It took me several years to build up my set of china to serve 30, but now I use it for family meals and it is a lot of fun.

My husband helps me lift the turkey into the oven. We get up at about 5:00 in the morning, get the turkey in the oven and then go back to bed. I suggested this year that we could do turkey parts, or something more convenient, but my husband thought there would be no fun in that. Ha ha. I guess the turkey struggle is memorable to him. And he likes the carving of such a big bird. It is all part of the tradition.

And I always use stove top with added celery and onion. I have never been able to make anything better from scratch, so why not!

Posts: 7190 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell me I'm crazy.

Turkey
Dressing
gravy
homemade rolls
mashed potatoes
fresh green beans
fresh corn
Spinach Casserole
Asparagus(if I have time)
Dumplings(A request)
homemade pumpkin pie
homemade Chocolate cream pie
I do the homemade crusts too.
Store bought cranberry relish
Deviled Eggs (if I have time)

Cooking for 3 men and will share with 2 others.
I do it all. Crazy Crazy.

Oops, I must come back to do this addition. My husband has started frying a turkey. I do a turkey too so that I get the drippings for gravy and dressing. We eat it all because of a turkey loving child.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 789 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Leafy, let those men do the cleanup. The football can wait. You've earned the help after that feast. BTW, I bake from scratch too, but it will be a humble offering since it's just DH and I this year. I do plan on pumpkin pie as DH will throw a fit if I omit pie.

Posts: 18693 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
FrooFroo and Strings - Try baking the sweet potatoes instead of boiling. You get a sweeter, richer flavor from the potatoes.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
I prefer sweet potatoes just baked and served with butter. They are so sweet by themselves.

I always wondered why everyone seems to like to sweeten them more and make casseroles. Is it tradition!

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Homemade Gravy
Candied Yams (DH never had them before marrying me and he loves them....the more marshmallows the better!)
Green Bean Casserole ( I know I know but we like it Smile )
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Cucumbers and Sour Cream
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Cranberry Bread for breakfast
Maybe Corn pudding and Chocolate Pie for leftover day

DH helps me with the dinner and he does the cleanup. I'm on dialysis three days a week and it takes a lot out of me and I also have a rotator cuff that is shot but we still try to have our traditional food even if it means a ton of work and a ton of leftovers. We spend Thanksgiving alone since my stepsons divide that day between their mom and their in laws... but we have them and the grandkids on Christmas Day.
Wishing all of you a Blessed Happy Thanksgiving!

Grace

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Going to my Cousin's home with 16 people for dinner - she does a traditional meal - and I bring a traditional Croatian sauerkraut & pork dish that we always have with the turkey & trimmings. This dish is a long-cooked cassoulet-type dish - and I use my own home-made soup broth to keep it moist - which I made yesterday. Then, I'll also make pumpkin and apple pies to take and I make extras for my children to have.

Seaborne

Posts: 1138 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Leafy, let those men do the cleanup. The football can wait. You've earned the help after that feast. BTW, I bake from scratch too, but it will be a humble offering since it's just DH and I this year. I do plan on pumpkin pie as DH will throw a fit if I omit pie.

Hi Froo Froo,

They are nice. They do help with clean up and setting the table and even pouring the drinks.

I set my standards by the way my mom did it years ago. She had a large family and they would bring a dish or two which helped. All of them are deceased now. I can't wait for daughter in laws but I'm not going to request dishes from them. Hmm Maybe one will be a chef. Wishful thinking.

My mom would make the chocolate cream pie the morning of the meal so that the crust would be crisper. I've done that but not any more. I'm making it tomorrow. It takes too long to stir the chocolate filling. I've already got a head start today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 789 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post