Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Senior Discounts! OT just for fun!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senior Discounts! OT just for fun! Sign In/Join 
posted
Okay, another thread on this forum caused me to start thinking about senior discounts ~ I've never claimed one (yet) but maybe it's time! Smile

So what senior discounts are out there? I figure if "you have the name, might as well enjoy the game." According to the department of vital statistics and what I saw posted in the other thread, there must be a few that I might qualify for..... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Senior discounts vary - some companies offer a discount to folk over age 50, usually it's 62, but occasionally 65. some stores offer a Srs discount if you shop on a specific week day.
Regardless, the patron usually has to request a Srs discount. The norm is 10%.

Go for it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
A state park on Long Island gave us free parking yesterday, saved $10.00 !!!!!

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Absolutely and every chance we get.Wink
We usually go to a local chain restaurant nearly once a week that offers 10 percent for seniors 55 and over. The discount counters the sales tax and an extra "STUPID" sports arena tax.
Rocky Mountain Natl Park offers a senior, life time pass for only 10 dollars, age 62 and over. DH qualifies this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this time in our lives we no longer have to ask for a Senior discount; it is given automatically. Smile

The other thing you might look into is senior meals. We live in a rural area and they are offered thru our cafe BUT (here is the important part) they will discontinue them if there is not enough participation. And some of the people really need them or they do not eat right or at all. So those that don't reaLly need them are asked to participate. It is really inconvenient to stop what you are doing and go at noon but I try to do it once a week. No local meals also means no meals on wheels or any of that.

Posts: 7060 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Around here, because of the economy, we have to ask. They consider a savings if they don't offer and we do NOT ask.

Ask BEFORE TOTALING. Most of the time, they will not RE-DO the charges and you have to wait until next time.

In high-senior populations, many places no longer offer them.

Sometimes, if at a fast food chain, you may or may not get a discount--rather, they will give you a free coffee or soda instead.

Grocery stores usually have some discount. It's not unusual for it also to be combined with shopping on a certain day, making the discount even bigger.

Also, see if your county or city has a senior "service" directory or something. Our county does, and it's amazing how many services they list for all seniors. It's just not for those who are severely ill with age, though there are services specfically for certain needs, as well.

Some of these things are also cultural. In our area, the seniors are generally treated well and respected. (There's always a news event out of the norm, but it's just that... not the norm.)

In other areas, senior anything is looked down upon. They are not treated with respect--just a problem to deal with due to too many.

So, what's available in your area may vary.

Posts: 4498 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:

Rocky Mountain Natl Park offers a senior, life time pass for only 10 dollars, age 62 and over. DH qualifies this year.

That discount for the national park pass is good at ALL national parks, not just Rocky Mountain NP. Saves tons of money. They (pass) can be purchased at any NP.

I just saw Rite Aide is offering a 20% discount the first Wed. of every month for seniors with a wellness card. Only on regular priced items however, not sale items.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Like others posted - some stores have certain days to offer the discount. I avoid them like the plague! We have a lot of seniors and there is a senior community across the street from my favorite grocery! Eek

Many of our stores will do it automatically if you have any gray hair and they are not asking you to show your id to buy alcohol.

Our state park offers a reduced annual pass for over 65. Some hotels will offer the AARP discount so even if you're 50 you can take advantage of it. It is usually the same as the AAA discount. Not usually available in FL hotels.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3540 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
That discount for the national park pass is good at ALL national parks, not just Rocky Mountain NP. Saves tons of money. They (pass) can be purchased at any NP.

You are right! I did not know it was for all parks. It used to be a one time purchase of a Golden Eagle pass for those in their 70's at all Natl Parks and I believe they may have recently changed it, in the past couple of years?? Also gets you half off some other fees.
We have always purchased a year pass for 40, and to support our RMNP. Probably continue to do so.

Pet licenses are cheaper for seniors here too (senior owners, not the pets). And even if we are not members, often mentioning the AARP membership can get you discounts at many places including Pearl Optical, and never have they asked to see a membership card.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
There are lots of senior discounts around here. Some we take advantage of, some we don't. The senior pass for the national parks is a wonderful thing. It also applies to a lot of other federal lands, so check them.

Here in Florida, seniors can stay at any state park for half the going rate. Believe me, that's a wonderful thing and we do take advantage of it. Because of my birdwatching, a senior pass is great because of the number of times we go into Ft. Pickens during a year. It would be very expensive otherwise.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6617 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Other than a discount on movie tickets I can't think of any offered here. Maine has the oldest population of any New England state (maybe the country?)

Mc Donalds does have a discounted senior fountain drink.

A local nursery has 10% off on Wednesdays.

Posts: 12673 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Indeed, we avail ourselves of senior discounts whenever possible. We have learned that we more often then not, must inquire as they are seldom verbally offered nor are signs posted. Yes, ages, days, regions and franchise chains very, but it may surprise you to learn just how many nationwide chains offer them. Even if the discount is 10 percent, it all adds up. Do a search to learn what businesses participate. Here's but one such source...

http://voices.yahoo.com/senior...e-
5444201.html?cat=7

HAPPY SAVINGS!

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great responses, everyone, thanks! As I stated, I haven't used one yet but I'm going to change that in the near future now that I see just how diverse and varied the various discounts can be ~ not to mention that I'm having a B-Day next Wednesday, July 3rd. When I was very, very young I thought all the fireworks and celebrations were for me! (My Mom told me that she had planned it that way!) Big Grin

I also want to thank "nance425" for attempting to post a very comprehensive list of senior discounts here on this thread that the mods blocked (probably due to a misconception of advertising because it contained named stores and such) - the mods can't be counted on the moderate these boards BUT those so-called "trigger words" are still in effect to which I say Censored

Anyway she was nice enough to PM me the list so thanks ~ I will be printing it and using it very soon ~ it is really a comprehensive list of Restaurants, Retail and Apparel, Grocery, Travel (including airlines, car rentals and overnight accomodations), Activities and Entertainment, Cell Phone Discounts and Hair Salons ~ very impressive and many thanks, nance425! Smile

Okay, keep the ideas coming everyone! Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you just have to ask. And you might be pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 6617 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Aw shucks, FFG. Thanks for the kudos. If anyone else wants the list, let me know and I can PM it.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I can't take credit there. Idaho was singing your well deserved praises

posted Hide Post
in our area the local school lets the seniors in the plays and games for free or cheap. my mom went to the musical a few months ago for like have price. then almost any zoos let u in cheaper. tops and wegmens have discount sr days 1 time a week. in ny allegany park use to let mom in free monday thur friday. in ny they also have a free cell but in other states i heard bout cheap ones for seniors.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I meant Idaho... Smile Was a little hasty responding to such kudos!!! Smile Thanks IR!!!!

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter where you go...ASK!
And it does add up.

Also, if there are any Veterans, there are also many discounts for them too. Like our state, they can get a FREE state park pass and are not required to get a fishing license. There are also some times discounts on garbage collection and things you wouldn't normally think about.
ASK!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4873 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wow! Discounts on garbage collection? That's pretty funny. I gotta check that one out! Smile

posted Hide Post
I went to an art exhibit in Denver. As a traveler I asked about Triple A or other discounts. No, they didn't take AAA but they did give discounts to people over 55. I said I am over 55 and she asked for my driver's license. I was pleased about that discount.

At the Kroger's locally the senior discount is for 60 maybe 65. My husband who has nice silver hair gets it if he's there on senior day, which is rare.

One day I was at a different Kroger than the closest one to me. I was limping on a wounded knee, I had lost some sleep and I had not dyed my hair. The guy gave me a senior discount. I told my husband that I would have to go in there with a limp and undyed hair to get the discount again. As an afterthought, there is NO way that I'll do that.
Most people are surprised when they find out my real age. They think that I'm much younger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 789 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if anyone asks me if I want a senior discount, I will deck them. I am really offended that people call me grandma when referring to my kids, too.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
There is a Florida based department store called Bealls that frequently has "50 and Fabulous" sales. Yes, I do take advantage of them if I need something. Why would anyone AVOID saving money? O_o

50 & Fabulous Discount Days | Bealls Florida
Save an additional 15% with Bealls Florida every Tuesday! Must be 50 years or better to participate. ... Bealls Florida Senior Discount Days!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7442 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am old enough for just about every senior discount there is and will use them whenever I can, but my mother's cousin is suspicious of senior discounts--she thinks you get inferior products. But how can a theater seat you choose yourself be inferior????Big Grin

Posts: 3418 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I do have to say that many retail stores offer Senior days usually the 1st Tuesday of each month.Annas Linens,JCP does & most chain resturants do too.KFC does a senior meal price.Goodwill& some thrift stores offer it too.

Just ask,it does not hurt to get 10% off,that is basically taxes on purchases.
I have been getting AAPR mail & calls for 10 years now.I am only 45 yrs.old now.LOL
In SC,retail stores offer a 1% sales tax less for people that older than 90yrs.Come on it could be even younger than that.

Posts: 3010 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic! I am very vain and would be highly insulted if someone offered me a senior discount without my asking for it. I am over 50 but I am not the senior age yet (which is 62 I think). I am just waiting for people to ask me to PROVE that I am a senior. I plan to get a senior card when I am one only because I would then ride the buses for 1/2 price. I am still happy no bus driver ever lowered the stairs just for me (although I do love when the bus drivers lower the stairs for people they think need them lowered (usually seniors). It's hard to climb the stairs in a long winter coat and/or carrying a lot of packages... ;^)

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom used to lie to get a senior discount before she was truly a senior.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, some places start them at 55.
Our bank has no fee checking accounts for folks 55 & older....unless you use your debit card, etc....but no monthly maintainence (sp) fees...and lots of free stuff.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4873 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
our favorite senior discount is at our library. No fines for people age 62 and over!!!!!

YAYY. We check out well over 2000 books a year, and tend to misplace some. the fines one year were mindblowing..

We ask for and get occasional discounts at a local Chinese buffet, our movie theater and when traveling we use our AARP cards.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1567 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:
our favorite senior discount is at our library. No fines for people age 62 and over!!!!!

Life is GOOD with a library like that. Our library needs that policy. I check them out again if I am too busy to make a book deposit of an overdue book.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Bealls outlet has an X-tra 15% off on Mondays if you sign up for their One card.

Posts: 2866 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post