Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Fiesta rice - wow!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiesta rice - wow! Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Just made this last night. Great fresh taste and so pretty to look at.

http://www.tastebook.com/recip...532-Fiesta-Lime-Rice

It seems there are two of them. I actually made this one:

fiesta rice

2 cups brown rice, cooked and hot
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 can black bean, rinsed and drained
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch salt and pepper
1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown (about 8-10 minutes). Stir in black beans, remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together lime juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir in hot rice, making sure each grain is coated with the dressing. Add the corn and bean mixture and toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
Add bell pepper, tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro to the rice mixture and toss well. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later. Bring to room temperature before serving.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I love rice salads and this looks like a winner!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That sounds fabulous!!

I make a salad using the corn, black beans, red peppers, green onions, cilantro and either an Italian dressing or a light dollop of mayo, depending on my mood. Love that stuff in the summer time. You can sprinkle a little ground cumin and coriander if you want.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6207 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm....looks and sounds fantastic!

Posts: 5045 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Yep, this is a winner. I have made this type of rice salad before, usually with jasmine or basmati rice. I like to prepare it for picnics. I'll have to try it with the brown rice. YUM!

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Husband is from a rice farming family. I bet he would really like this!

Edited - Leaving out the bell pepper of course. Wink

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Add a diced jalapeno for a little kick!

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Sounds deeeelish and is a feast for the eyes too. Did you say you used brown rice? I ask because it looks white rice in the pic. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
yep, made it with brown rice. (I think it's a lot better eating it in a salad like this.)
I did put a jalapeno in it and LOTS of cilantro. I love cilantro!!!

I was disappointed in it today. Tasted much fresher last night. I really tasted the fresh lime juice. My tomato was pretty ripe however; and then it was refrigerated. Frown

I think I will try it with Italian dressing like FFG said she makes it. How much do you put in?

What do you use, Aychi?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Use a zesty tasting dressing. Start with a smaller amount because you can always add. You don't want to drown the salad. It will likely be better fresh at any rate, because the rice will absorb whatever dressing you use. I never measure this kind of stuff. I just eyeball it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6207 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you use, Aychi?

I use the basic olive oil and lime dressing. Sometimes I mix in some white balsamic vinegar to add more zing.

One thing I noticed about this salad, like FFG mentioned, this salad is best eaten fresh.

When I have refrigerated leftovers, I "refresh" the salad by letting it come to room temperature and adding more oil and fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice with a bit more salt and pepper. Plus some fresh chopped cilantro.

AND, then I add diced avocado!!

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Darn...I have an avocado in the frig and could have put that in it. Smile