Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

to wash or not? Sign In/Join 
posted
Recently I heard that it is now recommended that we not wash chicken before preparing it. Does the same hold true for turkey? I can't imagine not washing any poultry before cooking it, but I understand the idea that washing it actually spreads any germs around the sink and countertops. Looking for opinions..thanks

Posts: 226 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I just cut up and cooked a chicken today.mi didnt wash it. It was organic, not that it matters.

I wore disposable gloves. When I got the chicken prepped and in the pans to cook, I scrubbed the sink with bleach as well as the counter next to it. All bowls and the knife went in the dishwasher.

I didnt wash the chicken.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Don't know what they are recommending, but I plan on rinsing the turkey, inside and out.

Have been doing so with thawed turkeys for 35 years, not going to stop now. And the sink gets washed out after, but never with bleach. No one here ever got sick from it either.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I don't know why a good swipe around the sink with a freshly soapy dishcloth and a hot water rinse wouldn't kill any germs. You don't wash your hands in bleach do you?

Truly, I think the media has nothing better to report or get people cranked up about so they go overboard with things that some folks are just gullible enough to believe. And what good does wearing gloves provide?

If the germs, bacteria or whatever folks are so scared of were really that potent, you wouldn't be eating the stuff to begin with because a dab of heat wouldn't begin to kill it in the end anyway. Most meat is fine cooked to something less than the boiling point of water at sea level! That isn't all that HOT!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2758 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
For starters, many Americans have bought into the must sanitize everything commercials that run 24/7 and the news media have bought into it and run stories as often as possible.

I brine my turkey, so it is rinsed inside and out before cooking. As for chicken, I rarely cook a whole chicken but when I do it is rinsed under slow running water, I hate splashes.

When I first heard the nonsense about not rinsing poultry was last year about this time and they were going on about the water splashing all over the kitchen. Well, if you're that messy, give it up and make reservations.

I use hot soapy water to wash up and wash my hands. I feel strongly that our affinity for killing every single germ with antiseptics and bleach will kill us long before any other enemy can get us.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3534 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, if you're that messy, give it up and make reservations.

LOL So true!

Washed = rinsing under cool water.

My grandmother rinsed the chickens she butchered at home. My mother rinsed the store bought chickens she fed us. I rinse any poultry I cook. I now buy Smart Chicken (it's a brand)...that chicken is marvelous! No stink like the stuff I grew up on and cooked for decades.

Two of my cousins worked in chicken processing plants. One did not eat another piece of chicken the rest of his life. The other told us all that he didn't care what the FDA said - rinse chicken before you cook it.

After prepping any meat, I wash my hand in warm soapy water, put everything in the dishwasher, knives and cutting boards in the sink and spray it all with a cleaner that contains bleach. Give everything a good cleaning and put dish clothes and towels in the laundry room.

Posts: 17093 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I absolutely rinse my poultry. Slow water hold the chicken still, don't splash, and wipe the sink etc. clean with a nice hot soapy cloth when you're done.

And I immediately put that cloth in the laundry. I use at least 3 dish cloths a day, they're cheap, easily cleaned and work great.

About 40 years ago I was deboning a chicken and cut myself pretty badly with the a rib bone. I went to the ER where they disinfected it and bandaged me up. (luckily I didn't need stitches.)

The doctor told me I should ALWAYS wash poultry before cutting, to avoid surface bacteria like salmonella getting into any microscopic open cuts or scrapes.

seemed to make sense.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1564 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the reason why they are reporting about the bacteria is that the conditions where they process meat and poultry are absolutely horrible. There aren't enough inspectors and the industry refuses to care whether or not people get sick. I know that some people would complain about government intervention, but I for one would like to see much more stringent standards. Why do so many people get sick? Because a lot of our food is produced by companies that don't care what happens.
so what if they pay a fine--it's the bottom line that counts. If enough consumers refused to buy from companies that do not have safe and humane food production standards, they would have to change.

Oh by the way I thoroughly rinse and dry all my poultry and then clean the sink, etc with bleach.

Posts: 3198 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If a current plan goes through to allow slaughtered chickens to be sent to China for processing and then sent back to the US- I will probably never eat processed chicken again! I am glad to see Tyson does not plan to send poultry to China for processing. We shall see.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3534 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always...always...ALWAYS!! Check the country of origin and/or processing on your food!! I generally purchase beef at the meat market in a neighboring town. All out, I grabbed a package at the grocery store - a package of their Angus ground beef. As I'm walking down the aisle, I flipped it over...country of origin: United States (okay with that of course), Canada (okay with that), and/or Mexico. I turned around and dropped it back in the meat case. The next day I called in an order for BEEF that came from Texarkana Texas and DH picked it up.

Be sure to check your seafood too. Beaudraux's crawfish tails and shrimp are from CHINA! I saved a BFF the other day from Indonesian shrimp!!!

Posts: 17093 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
idea that washing it actually spreads any germs around the sink and countertops

I know many many people who do not clean their kitchens. They slop nasty water on their countertops in the name of washing, and then let the nasty water dry.

Furthermore, they think they are clean enough and that BETTER cleaning is just being OCD.

Finally, they HATE being in the kitchen. For anything. They HATE taking time to clean and sanitize.

Yeah, lots of folks in MY life like that, though I'm not one of them. It's probably safer if they do NOT wash the poultry.

However, we don't feed each other so I don't care.

I won't eat in anyone's home that I know of. I think my health outcome is better at a restaurant than their homes.

Posts: 4490 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
quote:
Well, if you're that messy, give it up and make reservations.

LOL So true!

Washed = rinsing under cool water.

My grandmother rinsed the chickens she butchered at home. My mother rinsed the store bought chickens she fed us. I rinse any poultry I cook. I now buy Smart Chicken (it's a brand)...that chicken is marvelous! No stink like the stuff I grew up on and cooked for decades.

Two of my cousins worked in chicken processing plants. One did not eat another piece of chicken the rest of his life. The other told us all that he didn't care what the FDA said - rinse chicken before you cook it.

After prepping any meat, I wash my hand in warm soapy water, put everything in the dishwasher, knives and cutting boards in the sink and spray it all with a cleaner that contains bleach. Give everything a good cleaning and put dish clothes and towels in the laundry room.

Me too!

And restaurants....having worked in several over the years...I'd chance someone's house first! Even if they don't clean the same way I do.
As I keep telling my OCD, Japanese DIL...if you aren't exposed to a variety of germs your immune system won't build a resistance to them.
And she does get sick more often than I do...but she is also exposed to everything her kids bring home from school!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4866 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Rinsing turkey isn't going get rid the pathogens on your turkey, instead when the spray of water from you faucet hits the turkey it will cause the bacteria to aerosolize and spread up to 3 feet away. The only way to destroy Campylobacter and Salmonella on a turkey is by cooking it. Unless you plan on stopping everything else after rinsing and immediately clean all surfaces within a 3 foot radius of your kitchen sink with hot soapy water you're taking an unnecessary risk. Think about what you have within 3 feet of you sink. Can you get into every nook and cranny and thoroughly clean everything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Always...always...ALWAYS!! Check the country of origin and/or processing on your food!! I generally purchase beef at the meat market in a neighboring town. All out, I grabbed a package at the grocery store - a package of their Angus ground beef. As I'm walking down the aisle, I flipped it over...country of origin: United States (okay with that of course), Canada (okay with that), and/or Mexico. I turned around and dropped it back in the meat case. The next day I called in an order for BEEF that came from Texarkana Texas and DH picked it up.

Be sure to check your seafood too. Beaudraux's crawfish tails and shrimp are from CHINA! I saved a BFF the other day from Indonesian shrimp!!!

But it seems the rules do not require labeling if the poultry originated in the US. Like dog food - who knew some of the ingredients originated in China. We can only make it known we want to know where all of our food originates. Kind of difficult these days with globalization.

One of the primary reasons for seafood labeling is to help protect the US seafood industry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
You can go online and check with the company. If their website does not state country of origin or processing, contact them. If they do not respond, do not purchase their product.

Some things are not native to our land or waters. A friend of mine refused to eat the tilapia his wife prepared. He said he would not order it in a restaurant because it was from China and he wasn't about to eat it in his own house. He said she was somewhat perturbed.

At a local restaurant during oyster season, I asked the country of origin on the oysters. The manager came out and said TEXAS gulf. Okie dokie!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I always rinse poultry in "cold" water... "cold" b/c in Florida the water doesn't really get cold. Pat it with paper towels to dry on a parchment paper lined cutting board for the rest of the prep. Wash hands with soap and water. The most important aspect of washing hands is to wash for 20 seconds and believe it or not, it's the friction of rubbing your hands together that actually gets the germs off. I clean up after with soap and water in the sink and counters and throw the sponge and 3M scotch scrubby in the dishwasher. I clean as I go, I don't leave the entire clean up till the end.

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post