Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Frosting recipe needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frosting recipe needed Sign In/Join 
posted
I would like suggestions for a vanilla bean frosting recipe. I think buttercream is too sweet (which I love) and I'm making these for a group of ladies that might like a less sweet frosting. Any tried recipes out there? TIA

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out all recipes? Be sure to read the reviews.

Posts: 2308 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
A favorite less-sweet frosting of mine is lightly sweetened (1 tb. sugar per cup), stabilized whipped cream. I don't usually add anything else, but you could flavor it with vanilla extract or bean.

Posts: 4666 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a cooked milk frosting would be a possible alternative. Lots of recipes are available on the internet. It's the frosting that's often used for red velvet cake.

Seaborne

Posts: 1215 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I like to make a frosting with vanilla instant pudding and whipping cream and Vanilla. Half a box of instant vanilla pudding added to a container of whipping cream, the medium size container, confection sugar about a half of cup and a tsp. of vanilla whip cream and slowly add pudding and conf. sugar add the vanilla when all ingredients are in bowl. Be careful to stop beating when it thickens. This is frosting that needs to be frozen after put on cake until 2 hours before serving time. You can also frost and serve right away. It keeps better and is not sugary.

html

Posts: 2537 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
flby: Could you please clarify the amounts of specific ingredients. You lost me with "medium size container," confection sugar (amt?) - not sure what amounts you're talking about.

Seaborne

Posts: 1215 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My DH does not like sweet frostiness. This is his very favorite and embarrassingly easy..

1 reg.tub thawed Cool Whip
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add the brown sugar and vanilla to the Cool Whip and mix with a wisk. Stir gently until well mixed. Frost the cake. Cover the cake and refrigerate. This cake must remain refrigerated. This is soooo good on a dark chocolate cake!!

Posts: 3250 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came across this recipe on web for vanilla bean frosting.

Ingredients:
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk

Direction:
1. Beat butter until creamy. Then, slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat to combine, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
2. Add vanilla bean seeds and vanilla extract, and beat to combine. Slowly add milk and continue beating on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy for about 5 minutes.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Holy cow!! That's a LOT of butter!!! Never heard of using more than 1 stick.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6788 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Seaborne, the container size of whipping cream is one pint and 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and a half box of instant vanilla pudding box size 3.4 oz. which is the small size and 1 teaspoon of vanilla after all ingredients are mixed now whip until good and firm, like a thick whip cream. If you like it sweeter add more confectioners sugar while mixing before too thick. Taste as you mix all in. I hope that is better.

html

Posts: 2537 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Very good. Thank you very much, Flboy - much clearer now. I have copied it and put it into my files.

And I agree with Florida - that is way too much butter for that amount of powdered sugar. I make buttercream frosting quite often - but I do not use that much butter - perhaps, for a two lb. pkg. of powdered sugar.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
I use 2 sticks butter just like denswife that's why it's called butter cream. People are always asking for the recipe. Just like hers. A 7 minute frosting wouldn't be nearly as sweet and probably what she might be looking for?

Posts: 809 | Location: Lexington, MI | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that it was denawillis my recipe is just the same as hers.

Posts: 809 | Location: Lexington, MI | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
The pinch of salt added to a recipe will help cut the sweetness of the sugar. If you think that your recipe is too sweet add a few drops of lemon juice, this will also cut the sweetness of all the sugar but will not give it a lemony taste. But I would use a cooked recipe they are not so sweet. Also if you want your cooked frosting colored add a few drops of coloring to your milk before you cook it.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3593 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the frosting party but this is a lovely not-too-sweet frosting. Takes longer than many frostings but is worth it IMO.

http://www.food.com/recipe/old...ioned-frosting-33408

A much faster frosting is heavy cream whipped with sugar to taste and gelatin to stabilize. The gelatin helps the frosting hold up longer.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/S...Whipped-Cream-Icing/

ETA - since I no longer use sugar I sweeten the whipped cream frosting with stevia. No one notices the difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post