Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need Griddle Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Griddle Help! Sign In/Join 
posted
Why is it that every time I make pancakes on a stovetop griddle, the first several batches are either too black, too pale, uneven, stick to the pan, etc., etc.? Then, when the batter is almost gone, the little cakes come out beautiful. Does anyone have any tips to get the early pancakes as nice as the later ones? Thanks.

Posts: 1424 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I've recently started doing pancakes and I think I've sort of got it figured out.

oil the griddle lightly (even non stick) preheat the griddle evenly. I set mine over 2 burners and turn them both to just below the medium mark.

drop a DROP of water on the griddle, if it skitters all around the griddle its evenly hot.

pour your batter (I use a small laddle and I make the batter just a bit thinner than the recipe calls for.) evenly onto the griddle. I start at the rear and work towards the front. I do 6 pancakes at a time each is not quite the size of a coffee saucer.

watch your cakes to make sure they have a nice even layer of little bubbles all over the top then smoothly flip the pancake.

dont try to make more than 6 smaller pancakes at a time and I've found the bigger ones dont work well.

Generally speaking flip them only once. the layers of bubbles on the surface is the best clue.

I end up with maybe 1 bad pancake in every couple of batches.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I've also learned that the pancake is done in the center when the top side softens to the touch. Until it does that, the batter is not yet fully cooked and the crust on that top side is stiff to the touch.

Greasing the griddle between each pancake is also necessary.
Nothing is really "nonstick!"
You can't fry food and get it cooked or browned correctly without some form of oil, shortening, butter, spray, bacon grease or whatever you prefer.

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do bacon first on my Calphalon nonstick double griddle. Since there is a little too much grease, I can count on the first pancakes not being exactly perfect, but they absorb the excess grease and the rest are just fine--evenly browned. I don't add any grease between batches.

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I gave up and finally purchased an electric griddle.

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Smile I just switched to an eletric griddle.

Posts: 3606 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much to all who answered! I think my mistake has been heating the griddle too high to start. Then, when I see the lovely carbon on the bottom of the pancakes, I turn it down. Finally, toward the end of the project, the right temperature makes the last few pancakes look pretty good. I will take your advice to heart.

Annon, I do have an electric griddle, but I have to keep it in the garage, three floors down because of space in the cabinets. Besides, I'm appeasing my inner pioneer woman.

Posts: 1424 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I used my trusty old electric fry pan. I can only fit 4 at a time (I just pour the batter out of my Tupperware mixing bowl that has a spout). I set the pan at 350, putting about a tablespoon of butter or margarine at the onset only. My fry pan is teflon and I have no problem removing the following batches from the pan.

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post