Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What is rustic bread?....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is rustic bread?.... Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a recipe from Martha Stewart for dressing and it calls for 'rustic bread' cubes, what is rustic bread?

Wanda

Posts: 1774 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I consider it a "tough" "chewy" bread. The main thing is not sandwich bread.

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I figured, dry and coarse. May have to tweek this recipe a little bit.

Wanda

Posts: 1774 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Try the local bakery or the bakery dept of your supermarket. They will likely have bags of crumbs/cubes for the holiday dressing and made up of whatever variety they make.

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Let's hear it for rustic bread....love it!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1933 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bake my own...but French bread would work. If you don't have a bakery or a bakery section in your grocery store, check the freezer section.

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a bakery that does "artisan" bread, French bread would work.

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
It's usually baked free-form - and has crunchy crust - and a firm texture. Use any firm bread - that is not spongy and airy.

Seaborne

Posts: 1120 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have dough in bowls on the cabinet so that I can bake Dutch oven bread after work today. That's my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner at stepD's this year. That and my labor helping her once we get there...