Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Vodka vs. White Rum for Homemade Vanilla Extract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vodka vs. White Rum for Homemade Vanilla Extract Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
A few months back I posted that I had started a bottle of vodka vanilla extract and it was mentioned that other liquors could be used, i.e. white rum. So I bought a pint of white rum and inserted the vanilla beans.

The vodka vanilla is now so dark that light barely shows through the bottle, while the rum has barely colored at all.

Is this normal? Should I add another vanilla bean or two to the pint.

What's your experience? Or recommendation?

PS I used a little of the rum to top off the vodka vanilla (no premature sipping here!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I've just used vodka but someone suggested rum so I'm all up for that next time. Smile

I would imagine the longer it sits...the more vanilla infuses into the booze. Just shake it every so often and let it develop more.

Posts: 16548 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've always used rum and sometimes it seems to be darker than others -- perhaps it's the bean, I don't know. I do prefer the rum because it adds an extra flavor to the vanilla and is not as "austere" as the vodka. But that's me --

Remember, in the old days there was only rum and whisky or bourbon in Kentucky and that is what they used because there wasn't any vodka.

I remember going to a liquor tasting and they had a new product -- vanilla cognac. I sampled -- said it tasted like my homemade vanilla!!!! And although I didn't tell them that, I would never buy it for a drink because it seemed to be vanilla to me. I'm sure the flavor comes from flavoring and not real vanilla beans.

Martha

Posts: 5430 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post