Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Cooking With Herbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking With Herbs Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I'm off to another town north of us to do another Cooking With Herbs Class today. My menu:

1 - chicken salad three ways (plain, with dill, with tarragon)

2 - pasta salad (with cucumber, onion and tomato) in an oil and vinegar dressing with oregano

3 - fruit salad with basil cinnamon syrup

4 - chivey corn madelaines

5 - chocolate lavender cupcakes

All the recipes are regular recipes (the chicken salad is my grandmothers) with herbs added -- not recipes from herbal cookbooks! (In fact the corn madelaines are made from a jiffy mix!)

It's fun to share my love of herbs and my love of cooking with a class.

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, and each guest gets to take home two lavender sugar cookies in a bag for afternoon tea. It's my regular sugar cookie which just before I cut, I patted lavender in the underside.

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
martha - I just bought 3 lil lavender plants to plant out when our weather warms up. Is that what you use in your cookies?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yes. But the flowers is what I use. Enjoy the lavender. It's one of my favorites

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The plate of food that each guest had -- small scoops of all 3 varities of chicken salad.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And Ina Garten's Chocolate Ganache Cake with lavender for dessert. Served as cupcakes.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
where do you get the lavender flowers this time of year? What are those little things on top of the cupcakes? The meal looks wonderful.

Would you like to share your chicken salad recipes? I need a change from mine to expand my taste buds. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- the stuff on top of the cupcakes are lavender flowers. I put them on top for dcorations as well as inside.

I harvest my lavender and keep it to use all winter. But I would imagine that amazon.com has culinary lavender flowers for sale (be sure to get the culinary kind).

My chicken salad -- it's my grandmother's recipe, updated by my mom, updated by me.

I roast the chicken with a sprinkle of herb and salt and pepper and olive oil, then shred it and add diced red onion and celery. The dressing is 1/2 c. sour cream, 1/4 c. mayo and 1/4 c. plain yogurt and a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper. For the tarragon one, I just added dried tarragon z(mine is just starting to grow in the garden) and for the dill one, added sprigs of fresh dill.

You could use other herbs -- whatever you like to the salad. You could also add nuts and dried cranberries if you wish.

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Martha for your chicken salad recipe ideas. I'm going to try growing dill this year, since I love salmon, tuna fish that I add dried dill to.

I have a lavender plant - never knew you could eat the flowers though. What makes them "culinary" flowers? No chemicals sprays, etc.???

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Right -- not all lavender is grown for kitchen use -- lots grown for potpourri so when you use it in the kitchen, if it's not your own, you need to make sure that it is "culinary lavender".

Martha

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all looks wonderful. I have lots of lavender growing in my garden because it is drought tolerant, the rabbits and deer don't bother it, and I love the way it looks. However, I confess that I don't like the flavor or scent so I don't harvest the flowers.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I wish you were my neighbor, Linderhof! Everything looks so delicious--I can almost smell the aroma from that gorgeous photo, too.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We harvest our herbs in the fall. I'm thankful spring is here! We'll be getting them planted soon. I chuckle when I see images of rosemary being put in a small window box. This is more shrub like and needs a larger container, if not in the ground. Hoping many will have an herb garden and enjoying what these herbs can do to your dishes!

Posts: 5045 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Did you use cinnamon basil to make your cinnamon basil syrup? I was also wondering if you grow any herbs in pots indoors to supplement your herb supply during cold weather.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The recipe originally called for either basil or cinnamon basil. The cinnamon was used in both. Yes, I do grow SOME herbs in pots indoors but . . . the light is not all that great in windows (or at least my windows LOL!) and their growth creeps rather than leaps like it does when they are outdoors. I usually use them when I have company so I can say "this thyme came from the window". In the winter, I rely on grocery store fresh herbs rather than dried. Although some, like thyme, rosemary and sage often is in the garden and I can clip it in the winter.

Martha

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
trish - I just bought rosemary in a 4" pot.
How fast will it grow?
What size pot should I put it in when I can put it outside?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance, Rosemary is not a fast grower and in Minnesota it's considered an annual -- not winter hardy at all!! It's not winter hardy in Kansas and we're never as cold as you!!!!

I have had them winter over sometimes but sometimes we have mild winters when it doesn't really freeze for long periods of time. And I have a "glass house" for my rosemary so I've had it a while. When the temp dips, I just put the lid on the house until it warms up again.

Mine is now several years old and about 2 1/2 feet tall (although I do cut it back in the fall so the lid will fit on the glass house!)

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martha. That's what I thought. I will put it in a pot with other herbs then. It smells really nice. I go over and rub my hands on the leaves every now and then. Smile