Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  need french dressing recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need french dressing recipe Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a creamy french salad dressing recipe. I want the one that's more light orange, not the dark red/orange like a Cataline dressing.

It seems like in resturants you get a nice creamy one, so much better than bottled.

Anyone have one to share?
Thanks!

Posts: 2934 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a tried and true recipe, but when I look at recipes on the Internet, I think if you reduced the proportion of the catsup to the mayonnaise, you would get a lighter colored version.

Other options would be Russian dressing and Thousand Island, both of which are lighter orange.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make my own Thousand Island sometimes. We had a baby shower Saturday,and the French dressing was so good that I thought I'd try to make some. I found a recipe at the Taste of Home site that I'll try.

posted Hide Post
Hope you like it. Fresh home-made products almost always taste better, don't they? Smile

posted Hide Post
Try the Dorothy Lynch Campbell Tomato Soup Dressing recipe. Dorothy Lynch is awesome dressing.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are looking for our family's favorite Dorothy Lynch bottled dressing we can purchase here in the Midwest, for sure.

Here's a homemade version I like for French Dressing. To make it creamy, I'd add mayonnaise by the tablespoonsful until the right creaminess emerges. Dorothy Lynch might also have some celery seeds in it. Add about 2 teaspoons if you prefer.

French Dressing:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1/3 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion
1 cup salad oil

In beaker of blender or food processor, combine sugar, catusp, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; blend until smooth.
Cut the onion into wedges and add to the mixture and process until onion is finely chopped. With the machine running, pour in the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until the mixture is very smoonth (onion will be pureed.)
Store in tightly covered jar or serving bottle. Makes about 2 cups.

This recipe is from ny freshman yr of HS Home Ec class. A great substitute for "western" dressings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2641 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lurah, my DH is allergic to soy, which is in Worch. sauce. Do you think leaving it out would make a difference?

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
We like a simple creamy french dressing recipe that I copied from a Hellman's mayo label many years ago.

1 cup mayo
2 T sugar
2 T vinegar
1/4 t salt
1 T milk
1 t paprika
1/2 t prepared mustard

I mix the sugar with the vinegar and stir until the sugar dissolves, then stir in the other ingredients.

Martha

Posts: 6997 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holly in South Jersey:
Lurah, my DH is allergic to soy, which is in Worch. sauce. Do you think leaving it out would make a difference?

Holly, no I think you would still have a pretty good dressing. And it's late, but I finally learned my one new fact for the day. I guess I've never read the label on what'sthisheresauce!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holly, here's a soy-free soy sauce recipe. If you used it in a homemade Worcestershire sauce recipe, you would be good to go.
http://www.food.com/recipe/soy...e-gluten-free-111373

posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Lurah, because of his allergy, I read the ingredients on everything!