Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Cranberry Sauce ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cranberry Sauce ?? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have never made home made cranberry sauce, but would like to try it.

Need a foolproof recipe.

Also, how far in advance can it be made.

Thanks!

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6309 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Cranberry sauce keeps really well for a long time.

I usually make the recipe on the package although I also like the cranberry/orange relish which will last past Christmas!

Posts: 12792 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I also use the recipe on the package plus I usually add some cinnamon to it. It would also be good with grated orange zest.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3564 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I just made the recipe, from the bag, last week. Several of us just had a discussion about cranberry sauce and one said that the bag recipe is her favorite.

Well, it is super easy, delicious, and a beautiful color! I will be making it for Thanksgiving dinner. I did not add anything to the recipe.

Posts: 3197 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

My late Mom used to make a jello mold with cranberry relish. Have not seen the relish in the stores for many years. Think the relish had oranges in it. It was yummy.

Thanks again.

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always make it with the recipe on the package, sugar, water, cranberries.

I like the simple cranberry sauce.

But I also like the cranberry orange relish.

Martha

Posts: 6068 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Cranberry sauce made according to the package directions - with sugar - lasts as long as you like - if kept refrigerated. It's like jelly or jam - so no problem making it ahead of time - like right now for Thanksgiving for sure - and beyond. But in my household, it wouldn't last any longer than the leftover turkey lasts.

Seaborne

Posts: 1193 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I too make the simple recipe on the bag of Ocean Spray cranberries. It is as foolproof as it gets. It keeps a long time. I am making mine this week for thanksgiving, as it is one of the things that works to do ahead.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Do you want a raw cranberry relish or a cooked cranberry sauce. Do you want it sweet or savory.
Check Williams Sonoma Thanksgiving recipes, I always use one of theirs or one from my Cranberry Cookbook - different one every year.
They are all good.

Sometimes when I have turkey for dinner other than in November I make a cranberry salad or gelatin mold.

Lots of recipes to share, if you are interested I will post a few.

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lurah, I might make a relish as well as the cooked sauce.

Thanks everyone. We are doing our dinner this Sunday. I too was thinking about doing it a little ahead of time.

Strings

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
First my disclaimer - I don't eat sweet with my meal so don't care for cranberry sauce.

But be careful! If your family likes the canned jellied cranberry sauce, you may have a revolt on your hands! DM and I made homemade cranberry sauce once. It tasted good. She LOVED it. No one else did!!!

Posts: 17182 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol, KeepYouinStitches. Know what you mean.

An old All in the Family espisode had Gloria make a homemade sauce and Archie commented about it. She was a newly wed and so poud. It was a funny episode.

I would usually have the jellied and the one with whole cranberries. I may be the only one who likes the whole berry one. I will be prepared for rebellion.

Thanks again.

Strings

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
This is one of the freshest tasting and easiest recipes I have ever made. It's from Dorie Greenspan and it appeared in Parade Magazine 5 or 6 years ago. I make every year -- it's good for Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially if you are serving pork.

Holiday Relish

One 12-oz. bag fresh cranberries
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
1 cup dried golden raisins
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon or ginger
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Put all the ingredients except the vinegar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir to combine.Stirring, bring the ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer gently until relish thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Spoon into a heat proof container, cover with plastic, and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate. Tightly covered, the relish will keep for 2 weeks.

Serves 10. Per serving: 90 calories, 23g carbs.

Posts: 5313 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Cranberry molded relish
Makes 10-12 servings

Better Homes & Gardens Five Seasons Cranberry Book,
In conjunction with Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.

Ingredients:

1 3-ounce package lemon Jell-O
1 3-ounce package cherry Jell-O
½ cup sugar
3 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 8¾-ounce can crushed pineapple

2 cups (½ pound) fresh cranberries
1 small orange, quartered & seeded or 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup diced celery
½ cup walnuts

Optional Topping:
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
!/2 cup whipped cream
Method:

Dissolve both packages of Jell-O and sugar in boiling water.
Add lemon juice and undrained pineapple.
Chill till partially set (2 hours).
Chop finely in food processor or grind the cranberries and whole orange quarters, if using.
Fold fruits into gelatin mixture along with celery and nuts.
Pour into oiled 8½ cup or 12 individual molds.
Chill till firm.
Unmold on lettuce leaves.
For topping, blend together mayonnaise & sour cream, fold in whipped cream. Drizzle over top of unmolded Jell-O just before serving.

I substitute mandarin oranges for the fresh whole orange, ground. This is a nice alternative to straight cranberry relish on the Thanksgiving table if you have guests who don’t like it. It also solves the dilemma of what salad to serve with such an already heavy laden sideboard.
I make individual molds and serve them on small salad/bread & butter plates. Or pour mixture into a 7 X11 baking pan, refrigerate and cut into squares.

This is from an older cookbook (1971). So the cranberries no longer come in one pound bags and the pineapple can has also shrunk.

Another easy recipe is Brandied Cranberries:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 2 cups.

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup brandy
2 Tbsp finely shredded orange zest (use microplane zester)
Method
1 Preheat oven to 325°F. Sort through cranberries and discard any that are soft or decayed.

2 Mix cranberries, sugar, brandy, and orange zest in a 8 or 9-inch square baking dish. Bake uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.

Chill up to one week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so very much!

Strings

posted Hide Post
I made the sauce w/ the recipe on the bag. I liked it, think I was the only one. I did have the jellied sauce for the boys also.

Thanks again!

Strings

posted Hide Post
I just came back from the grocery store. I had the ingredients on my shopping list to make a cranberry relish mold but when I saw some cranberry relish in the product section of Kroger I put a container in my cart. I marked off about 5 or 6 ingredients from my shopping list. I hope that it's good cause I've got too many other things to make from scratch. Me hopes cranberry sauce can't be too bad if its store bought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 803 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post