Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  well, cake #2 failed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

well, cake #2 failed Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
I don't know who put that recipe in a magazine but yikes! DISASTER! And I followed it to the "T" this time.

The cake fell. And there was no way you could have sliced the layers. I had to scrap the whole thing, run to Costco 50 minutes before closing on a Sunday, and somehow managed to get the LAST chocolate cake from the bakery.

Oh my baker' s pride smarts somethin' fierce right now. Frown

Posts: 3482 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
JC -- what kind of cake was it.

Martha

Posts: 6350 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17381 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the same cake I made two weeks ago, only I made a big boo boo on that attempt. I'll try to find the post and give it a bump. This time it just fell on itself.

Once upon a time, I could bake a beautiful cake, so I'm bummed.

posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you had problems but glad I'm not the only one that has flops.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was jinxed from the get go. Stopped by bed bath and beyond that morning to buy new pans only to find the store was GONE. That area is under redevelopment but all the more reason to keep the store. We got home and I couldn't find my trusty ol' Bundt pan, and I must have given it away as we searched high and low. Haven't baked a cake since before the kitchen remodel a year ago. So I used what I had, but don't think it was anything other than a bad recipe.

I'm going to get online tonight and buy myself new pans. The girls at work did enjoy the Costco cake, and the leftovers went home with the birthday girl.

Thanks for your continuing support through these dark times! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
When an accomplished baker has two flops with the same recipe, I would blame the recipe, not the baker. Not every recipe on the internet, or even from tested sources, is a good one.

Posts: 4685 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Same recipe? Yep, I would trash that one and move on to the next recipe.

Posts: 17381 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I had two failures w/a bread recipe. Others in the bread machine book were fine, tho.

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
When I'm getting ready to bake something I haven't done in a long time - I check recipes on the internet - and compare them - to see if the ingredients are similar - or whether the method varies from recipe to recipe. Then, I choose the recipe that sounds the best to me. I go to the well-known cooking sites first - Ina Garten is usually a reliable one - Martha Stewart is good - because her directions are so specific - and Cook's Test Kitchen is good - and I love Bobby Flay's recipes and directions.

But - one has to know the method to be used - with cakes, are you creaming the butter and sugar adequately and adding the eggs, one by one. Is your baking powder fresh - or has it sat around for months. And even flour can vary - according to humidity - are you using A/P flour, or cake flour, or bleached, bread - or whatever?

Lots of variables to be considered. And of course - test the temperature of your oven - that is essential.

Sorry for all the trouble in trying to find a good recipe. Move one - and don't give up.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post