Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Dressing for fruit salads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dressing for fruit salads Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
At the last minute, our group combined our fruits so that we could have a fruit salad. My friend said that an easy dressing was to combine mayo with sugar and a little bit of milk.

After I put it together and wasn't satisfied, two more ladies joined me on my boat and also gave it the taste test and wound up adding some some kind of a Smart & Final cream from a qt-sized carton, some agave syrup, and a dash of almond extract (because we thought vanilla extract was needed). The almond extract was a mistake. In fact, I think the fruits would have been better left alone.

What else could we have used for a topping that we might have had on our boats?

And I also curious to know what you like to put on your fruit salads, if anything.

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
If you like a creamy dressing, take some plain or vanilla-flavored Greek style yogurt and mix with honey. That's it!

I generally like my fruit plain, but sometimes fresh-squeezed lime juice mixed with honey can be just the thing.

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy a poppyseed dressing that is great--I'll have to look at the ingredients to see why it works so well.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that you just posted this because I was recently thinking about fruit salad.

Growing up, fruit salad was simply a mixture of fresh fruits. In summer it was most likely, melon, kiwi, blueberries, peaches, etc. In winter it would be oranges, apples, bananas, etc. There was never a 'dressing" on it! It was just plain fruit.

I still do it the same way. I actually forgot that some people add a dressing! It is always disappointing when someone brings a fruit salad to a picnic and I find that it is "dressed". So my thought is....add nothing to it. Fruit is fabulous all by itself!

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good yogurt like a greek one, and honey to taste and take some of the tartness away.
I will often serve this on the side, so people can add it if they prefer.

btw, we pretty much now use a vanilla yogurt as a substitute for ice cream on chocolate cake or fruit pies.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Greek yogurt or sour cream without any sweetener. Most fruit is already sweet enough that, to me, adding anything more makes it too sweet.

And not too much either.

My family's fruit salad is like Grapefruit prefers...no dressing at all. Just fruit.

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I only put a dressing on what I call "apple salad"...apples, oranges, grapes and walnuts. But you can also add celery and/or mini marshmallows for a change.
My fruit salads are just fruit...what ever is fresh & what I have in the freezer....right now it would be peaches, strawberries, blue berries, black berries, banana.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4304 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've never dressed a fruit salad, it seems the fruits provide a good juice and dosn't need a dressing. I have put fruit platters together and in the middle of the platter place a strawberry Greek yogurt in a pretty silver dish to provide a dip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spanish Revival,

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Add me to the dressingless fruit salad lover list. We do like coconut flakes on it or even toasted coconut ala ambrosia. If you like crunch add almond slivers, walnuts or pecans.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I do like a syrup over -- my favorite tequilla lime and a basil cinnamon is another. It helps if the fruit is not the sweetest. I often keep a jar in the fridge to pour over breakfast berries.

The syrups are made with a simple syrup and then the lime/tequilla is added or the basil and cinnamon stick is steeped in the syrup, then strained out.

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Although I usually just use the fruit with no dressing, if I am having fruit over greens I make this simple dressing:

Mayo thinned out with a little lemon juice
honey
celery seeds.

All in proportions that look right and just enough for one meal.

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use dressing when I put fruit over lettuce. So, there's not a lot of fruit just some strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and maybe some fresh orange slices.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love a good poppy seed dressing on fruit. You can make your own, but I find Brianna's brand to be a nice mix of sweet and sour that works well with both fruit and green salads.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I add some orange juice to pre-cut-up fruit, as a sweetener and seems to keep the fruit "fresher." Also, I've used maraschino cherry juice/syrup from a used-up jar of maraschino cherries. Could be added to the orange juice.
And I've just used whipped cream as a garnish.

Seaborne

Posts: 974 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
To me it depends on what fruits you are dressing. Watermelon makes a mess when it's dressed - a watery puddle on your plate.

But I agree with previous posters, a decent thick plain or vanilla yoghurt with honey & a bit of lime juice is good and also poppyseed sweet dressing- boughten or homemade.

But peaches, cherries, raspberries, bananas, apples, etc. with a dressing is pretty good but without dressing is fine with me too.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graciepj, that's the dressing that I use--it is so delicious.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I tried Brianna's Poppyseed Dressing but didn't care for it. Today I tried some mayo, some lemon juice, and some honey. It was only OK. I agree with the consensus, fruit salads don't need a topping. That said, I have a cooked dressing that's pretty good but why bother!

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think a fruit salad needs a dressing if you are just throwing cut up fruit together, which is what I do. Dump, mix and go! If I use apples and bananas and am not using a citrus fruit then I'll mix in lemon juice so they don't brown. But typically I don't have to do that because of any citrus I put in.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Depends.

First, no bananas. If it has bananas I will have to spend all my time picking them out.

If it is just a bowl of cut up fruit - then that is a bowl of cut up fruit. Not a salad.

If I'm making ambrosia - primarily I add orange juice and coconut. No sugar.

If I'm doing something for lunch as a desert I will do a dressing with either vanilla yogurt or cream cheese, milk and orange marmalade sugar if needed and serve it on the side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I serve mixed fresh fruit as dessert, not salad and don't add anything or sometimes just a dash of Angostura bitters. If the fruit is not sufficiently sweet I add stevia. Years ago a friend used to add rum to her fruit salads.

When I do serve fruit as salad I either use Greek yogurt mixed with honey, or Hellmann's mayo mixed with honey. I sometimes make a Waldorf type salad with apple chunks and orange sections and use Hellmann's with apple cider vinegar, EVOO, stevia, S&P.

I really like cinnamon added to orange slices but that is not really a salad, I eat it as a snack.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Whipped cream cheese with a couple of tablespoons of orange juice,just a speck of almond flavor and 2 tablespoons of sugar or sugar substitute. Just a bit of this to any fruit or just as a dip. I forgot to add the marshmallow crème, sorry to any one that had tried to make this. add 1/2 cup marshmallow crème to above recipe. Old age is my only excuse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flboy,

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Yesterday, I tried Brianna's Poppyseed Dressing but didn't care for it. Today I tried some mayo, some lemon juice, and some honey. It was only OK. I agree with the consensus, fruit salads don't need a topping. That said, I have a cooked dressing that's pretty good but why bother!

I'm sorry. I always feel bad when I recommend something and others don't like it. Was it too sour for you?

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Oh, no, don't be sorry. I've just come to the conclusion that the fruits are best undressed.

Did you know that Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing combined with Girard's Champagne Dressing makes a nice dressing for Cole Slaw.

Speaking of Girard's Champagne Dressing reminds me of a great salad recipe. I'll mention it on a new thread.

posted Hide Post
Mix all your fruit together and then add a box of instant vanilla pudding mix. Stir and let set for a few minutes. That is all I use.

Posts: 161 | Location: Chillicothe MO | Registered: Jan 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Did you know that Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing combined with Girard's Champagne Dressing makes a nice dressing for Cole Slaw.

Good hint!

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I need a summery fruity main dish salad for this Friday.
I like a spinach/chicken/cranberry, but do you have other ideas?

Posts: 6621 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Tried the sour cream/honey mixture today. Didn't care for it either. I've never heard of the instant vanilla pudding. I'm going to try that next.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hint with Brianna's--I will have to try it soon!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've given this thread much thought -- the dress or not to dress -- I notice that many who don't live in areas that have really great fruit. We don't and so with store fruit, I think that you often need the dressing for it isn't as sweet as it should be. When we get local fruit, I don't dress either!

However, I have been on a strawberry, spinach salad kick this week due to the fact that DH brought home one of those HUGE containers of baby spinach. Not every meal but almost and it is so good -- the spinach with the strawberries (sigh, store bought) and that wonderful poppyseed dressing (make my own -- oil, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, onion) and a bit of feta and candied pecans (which I keep on hand in the freezer).

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
I agree with no dressing on fruit salad. However, sometimes I make a dip to serve on the side which is really good. It's just mixing together Cool Whip and Marshmallow Cream.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I usually don't eat much dressing on fruit--I just make sure it's ripe before eating, and that's tough to find.

One fruit I do like dressing on is apples, as in a Waldorf Salad.

Many variations of contents of both salad and dressing, but mine is more of a dessert.

I eyeball it, but it's a mixed of whipping cream that's been whipped and a bit of sugar and vanilla added. Then, that's mixed gently with Hellmann's mayo.

(In addition to the apples, I toss in chopped walnuts, and some mini marshmallows. I rarely have on hand other stuff. Sweet or tart apples can be used, depending on taste, but I always use a sweet apple.)

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post