Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Looking into a new...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking into a new... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted
Toaster oven. I usually buy Black and Decker, they're OK, but the toaster part is not that great... takes FOREVER to toast bread, everything else works fine. I don't want a separate toaster. I bought one at BB&B about a month ago but returned it because it got sooo hot you couldn't even stand close to it when it was on. Anyone have a toaster oven they're happy with?

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like mine a lot although for toast I prefer to use a toaster.

My toaster oven has a rounded front and back so you can heat a pizza. I'll get back to you on the name.

(I love my toaster oven to broil haddock in!)

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ended up with a regular toaster and a toaster oven for the reason you said-----takes too long to do 1 or 2 pieces. Toaster oven didn't toast evenly. Just like bread slices toasted in a toaster rather than a toaster oven

Toaster oven is a Black and Decker. Have had it for a good while. Toaster is a Kenwood. Real inexpensive and works well.

Sorry that I can't recommend a good toaster oven.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm starting to think they need to leave out the word "toaster" in toaster oven. We had one many years ago, again it was Black and Decker, you could hang it attached to the cabinet, and it was actually very good at toasting... but it's too small to fit anything, like the pizza LOS mentioned. Thanks for the info girls!!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've had my Oster toaster oven for 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. I use it every day and usually more than once a day for toast, baking, and reheating. It also has a convection oven. The only thing I use the broiler for is to make garlic bread.

Prior to this unit, I had a Cuisinart toaster oven that stopped working right after the one-year warranty was up. Frown

It'll be a sad day when this Oster quits working, but I will rush out and buy another Oster to replace it!

I've never timed it, but I think it may take about 3 minutes (give or take) to make the toast. I just know when to turn it on so that it'll be ready when my eggs and bacon are ready.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have a Toastmaster - ToasterOvenBroiler.
It has a glass door and a removable oven insert that comes out for easy cleaning.
They don't make them any more. Seems that had a problem with the glass breaking when it heated up. It happened when the ovens were fairly new so I am not the least bit worried about mine. I bought it when we still lived in Lake Jackson so that makes this unit a least 11 years old.

When this goes out, if I cannot find one with the removable insert, I'm not replacing it. We have an electric oven. I'll just use it. It doesn't take but 5 minutes to toast bread or an English muffin??? Can't use that much energy. Besides, look at the counter space I'll clear up.

As for reheating pizza - I slap it topping side down in a cast iron skillet (nonstick would work too) to start the top heating. In just a bit, I flip it to the crust side. The crust crisps and the topping is hot.

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot, Cindy! My toaster oven (which BTW I am very happy with except it takes up too much room!) is a Rival.

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the good advise!

My daughter told me she just started heating up pizza in a skillet, it's good for the crunch factor!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I find that reheating my pizza in a toaster oven in a clay dish (mine is from Pampered Chef)works better than a skillet.

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to try that, I do have a clay pot, thanks CA Lori!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Almost forgot, Cindy! My toaster oven (which BTW I am very happy with except it takes up too much room!) is a Rival.

Thanks LOS!