Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What to serve with a Taco Salad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to serve with a Taco Salad? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I'm serving Taco Salad to my ladies for our Thursday Mexican Train day and I can't think of what would go good with it, other than Gazpacho Soup. DH and I are perfectly content with just the salad, but I think that it looks like a pretty skimpy lunch to serve just a salad and dessert. I don't think a crusty bread is warranted, do you?

I remember making a Gazpacho Soup several years ago and it wasn't very good. Does anyone here have a good recipe? I'm going to do a search next and see if I can find a recipe that gets a lot of good reviews.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Posts: 5879 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
MARGARITAS!!!!! Smile

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6195 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A taco salad is pretty substantial, especially if you are having a dessert too. I don't think you really need to serve anything with it. I guess you could put a selection of additional toppings out...salsa, avocado or guacamole, cheese, diced tomato...if people wanted to add more to their salad.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I usually serve cornbread, or cornbread muffins (in little clay flower pot bakers). I agree you need to have something else just so it looks party-like.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Farm Girl said! Wink

But yes, set out the different toppings. Perhaps a choice of chicken or beef.

Chips and salsa

Don't forget some Mexican candy (pralines) for dessert!

Posts: 16455 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Are you serving it in a taco shell shaped into a bowl? They're real easy to make and make a pretty presentation. I feel the salad would be substantial, veggie's, meat, cheese, sour cream, avocado and salsa. You can eat the shell which would take the place of bread. I'm curious... what is a Mexican Train Day?, sounds like fun!

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree -- the salad is really enough but if you don't have a tortilla bowl, I think tortilla chips would be a good accompaniment.

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I put all the ingredients in a large bowl, top it with gently crushed tortilla chips, add the dressing, and mix all the ingredients together. Then I serve immediately.

I copied Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) recipe for Gazpacho and will make it tomorrow so that the flavors have time to blend. If it doesn't turn out to my satisfaction, at least I will have tried. The Taco Salad by itself is quite filling. It's quite good served with sliced bananas on the side. (My Mex. friend taught me that trick, she serves sliced bananas with all her Mex. meals.)

I went grocery shopping today and got everything I need for my menu. I decided to make a batch of homemade vanilla ice cream tomorrow in my Cuisinart ice cream maker to top off the Apricot Pie. I make a cooked custard base which is rich and creamy.

Mexican Train is played with a set of Double Twelve Dominoes. It takes over two hours to play and it's very addictive! There will only be four of us on Thursday, which actually is ideal; but we have played it with as many as 6 people.

Posts: 5879 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Taco salad is an example of a one dish meal, if you consider the tomato is a fruit.
But I think the bananas on the side is a great idea. My only thought would be a few slices or chunks of fresh fruit as a garnish along side the salad.
We had it a few weeks back, it's always good.

You are smart to offer something creamy for dessert, in case the Mexican flavors upset tummies, I always offer yogurt, custard (as in Spanish flan), pudding, ice cream for dessert.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
When I serve taco salad I usually do serve a crusty bread, and also big slices of watermelon. One of our family favorite dinners.

Posts: 7074 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lori,

Your menu sounds delicious especially the ice cream and pie. Have a fun & delightful afternoon!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
FFG: I'm with you! (girl after my own heart)!

How do you serve the bananas? Don't they turn burn on ya?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
I chiming in too late here - but I like to serve roasted sweet potatoe slices with Mexican dishes. I toss them with a little olive oil, cumin,garlic,salt and lemon juice and bake in a hot oven until tender. Sometimes dice them instead for faster cooking.

Posts: 3090 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Chiming in even later. I would serve a fresh fruit on the side. It is cool and refreshing. You can try some new flavors with it - guava or mango in with fresh watermelon, cantaloupe and other favorites.

Another option - fried plantain chips.

Please report back and let us know how it went.

Posts: 3393 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post